It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Transit Train Has Crashed into Station in Hoboken: Injuries Reported-Mass Casualties

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: reldra

There is no wall at the end of the tracks. There is a train bumper and about 20 feet before you actually get to the terminal structure.

The train went right through the steel 'bumper' and became airborne before coming to a stop.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
All the cellphone video is really bothering me. I don't understand how people can see chaos/destruction and hear screaming and calls for help but instead choose to turn on their cellphones and record rather than help.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
The train went right through the steel 'bumper' and became airborne before coming to a stop.

That is what they are supposed to do when striking those. It is to divert the forward momentum upwards instead of allowing it to plough into the terminal.

This picture is pretty clear in showing that it is not inside the terminal.

edit on 29-9-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

That is what they are supposed to do when striking those. It is to divert the forward momentum upwards instead of allowing it to plough into the terminal.

This picture is pretty clear in showing that it is not inside the terminal.

I saw that pic. I don't see the front of the train. Over and over, media said 'partially in the station', though they might be wrong.

edit on 29-9-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
All the cellphone video is really bothering me. I don't understand how people can see chaos/destruction and hear screaming and calls for help but instead choose to turn on their cellphones and record rather than help.

From what I am listening to, some responders were in there almost right away. Probably transit police, other police. They wanted everyone out and experienced people helping.

I understand the conflict, but we get an idea of what has happened when real reporters can;t get inside. They still can't.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This is pretty close to me. I'm hearing 3 dead at the moment.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

That is the front of the train. NJTransit runs reverse into Lackawanna Terminal, the locomotive is on the opposite side of the train. That is the cab car where the engineer would be.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DetectiveT
This is pretty close to me. I'm hearing 3 dead at the moment.

At 10:17 a medical examiner reported that to either MSNBC or WABC. I would have to look at my OP.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

That is the front of the train. NJTransit runs reverse into Lackawanna Terminal, the locomotive is on the opposite side of the train. That is the cab car where the engineer would be.

OK. It's helpful for people who have never been there.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
CNN was just interviewing a transit worker. He said the first car went airborne before hitting the station, among other details. Then he had to stop talking because - he said - he was being told to stop. Interesting.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

OK. It's helpful for people who have never been there.

No problem, NJT does what is called push/pull operations. It keeps the diesels from idling too close to the terminal.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

CNN was just interviewing a transit worker. He said the first car went airborne before hitting the station, among other details. Then he had to stop talking because - he said - he was being told to stop. Interesting.

NJT has a large PR department, if he was not part of it they would not want him giving out info.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Witness on WABC is saying train derailed and went right into the terminal.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Officials from Jersy City Medical Center, talking now on WABC. There are just over 50 patients there. This is one of the hospitals patients are being brought to. Some being evaluated in the cafeteria. They state 3 are serious or in surgery.
The hospital was already fairly full and some were sent to nursing homes, etc., in the area.

201-915-2691-hotline to check for family members at that hospital.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

NTSB will be having a briefing at 12:45.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I am about to fly home. Please post what they say here so I can read it while I am in the air.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

A list of hospitals the injured being brought to:

Jersey City Medical Center
Bayonne Medical center
Christ Hospital
Hoboken University Hospital

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I am about to fly home. Please post what they say here so I can read it while I am in the air.

Thanks.

Ok.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I live not too far from this station. Ive been there hundreds of times. Ive taken that train and others into the terminal. Trains always creep into the station at 1-5MPH. This train did not slow down at all. What was the engineer thinking?

Im pretty sure it wasn't mechanical failure. It made all of its stops before the accident without any signs of trouble

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

That bothers me too. I guess when they're looking through the camera at the scene it provides some sense of detachment...l don't know. There are always people like that at every accident scene. Rubbernecking. I would not personally be able to stand around with a camera while people are in distress, but I'm not wired that way. Sad that so many people are.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join