It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Transit Train Has Crashed into Station in Hoboken: Injuries Reported-Mass Casualties

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I think it's too early to rule out a terrorist attack. They say it was going full speed. There should have been fail-safes to prevent that as posters have said. It's still too early to rule out sabatoge.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The train came into the station at full speed (40-50 mph) and should slow down to about 20 mph on approach and come in at about 5 mph.--According to the expert talking to WABC now- I am not catching his name.

reply to:: To TheKnightOfDoom:

Don't they have something called a dead mans switch to prevent that happening?

In regard to 'dead man's switch' "there is 10-15 sec before a penalty brake appliation is applied". That is not enough time
edit on 29-9-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)
in most cases. (from the expert WABC is talking to).

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
And for those of us who don't trust the government, it's far too early to rule out a false flag. Lets wait and see what rights they try and take from us over this one.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
How does that happen without being made to happen? These trains don't just jump track. They have fail safes for stopping. I hope there were not really mass casualties. I will be keeping an eye on this one. Anyone hearing any chatter of it being claimed as a terror act online at all?

Actually I googled for more information, I found a ton of past train crashes in NJ, in the last 10 years. Our infrastructure is not in good shape.

The one post I put up says there is no indication of terrorism.

Ok...I was just reading some tweets and one said it went off the tracks which I assumed meant prior to crashing, but I guess could be going off the end of the tracks.

Also reading it didn't slow down at all....maybe something happened to the operator? I thought there were failsafes for this type of scenario, such as if it hits a certain point and is going too fast the brakes are automatically applied.

Here's to hoping there are not many fatalities.

Which is probably why it was mechanical, but hey, it is getting close to Election Day, so we gotta step it up a bit on the terrorism angle.

Not the election that made me think maybe terror. Its all the damm terror attacks that have been happening.

I thought it too, just saying.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I think a bewildered LOLWTF applies nicely, this is kind of hard to try to envision. I know it was mentioned it jumped the tracks in the same spot on the rails a previous accident was produced from, but still, hard to wrap one's mind around actually happening.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Besides there still being people on the train, the reporter at WABC is stating there are 'people pinned under the concrete'.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The last major crash I remember was because the operator was distracted, sending a text message or something like that, and forgot to stop the train.

If the cause is something as stupid as that, then I honestly hope the guy driving the train didn't survive. For his sake.
edit on 29-9-2016 by AndyFromMichigan because: Further thoughts.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Man, this really sucks. I hope everyone injured has a full recovery.

NJ Transit is absolutely horrible. When I lived in central Jersey I would use it to get to NYC. My train would break down AT LEAST once per week, usually more. I didn't mind on the way to work because f--k going to work, but on the way home it was so miserable. NJ Transit was THE ONLY reason I moved. I am not exaggerating. Commuting from NJ to NYC is intolerable using NJ Transit.

They have consistently cut funding for NJ Transit and have been removing train and bus lines as a result. IMO you shouldn't have to stand because of overcrowding for your entire 45 minute ride (that gets extended to 2 hours because the train breaks down).

Taxes in NJ are some of the highest in the country, how they have no money for ANYTHING Is beyond me.

This makes so so angry because I am pretty sure this was caused by those old faulty trains. kdjhrglehjglerhtaert

edit on 29-9-2016 by primespickle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
This is awful. Really hoping all of our New Jersey/Northeast corridor members are okay.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Besides there still being people on the train, the reporter at WABC is stating there are 'people pinned under the concrete'.

Not sure how anyone can be pinned under concrete at Lackawanna Terminal since the trainsheds are not made out of concrete, only the platforms.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
100+ injured, 3 possible fatalities.

Devastating.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A witness on the train says that the train stopped prior to entering the station. He said when it started going again, people were standing getting ready to depart and it never slowed down and people were thrown when it hit. Many of the injuries appear to be people in the terminal on the platform.
edit on 29-9-2016 by EchoesInTime because: sp

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Really, it could be anything from antiquated infrastructure, to operator error (drugs/distracted/crazy), to terrorism. That's what's really so shocking in this day and age, there is very little confidence in any of those areas.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not sure how anyone can be pinned under concrete at Lackawanna Terminal since the trainsheds are not made out of concrete, only the platforms.

I don;t know. Not only is it being reported by the WABC reporter, but a passenger reports seeing "a woman trapped under concrete". The train slammed into a wall. What is the wall made of?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

There is no wall at the end of the tracks. There is a train bumper and about 20 feet before you actually get to the terminal structure. From the photos it does not look like the train actually went into the terminal but derailed onto the platform. Maybe she mistook the roofing material for concrete.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
100+ injured, 3 possible fatalities.

Devastating.

3, confirmed by a medical examiner.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

There is no wall at the end of the tracks. There is a train bumper and about 20 feet before you actually get to the terminal structure. From the photos it does not look like the train actually went into the terminal but derailed onto the platform. Maybe she mistook the roofing material for concrete.

Maybe. CNBC has a lot of social media pictures that show concrete walls near the train. The train is 'partially in the station'.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I saw the photos, it is hard to tell if the cab car actually hit the terminal itself. I need to see a better photo.

There is a good deal of distance from the track end to the terminal, this is covered by a metal open air roof which looks like it partially collapsed.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I saw the photos, it is hard to tell if the cab car actually hit the terminal itself. I need to see a better photo.

There is a good deal of distance from the track end to the terminal, this is covered by a metal open air roof which looks like it partially collapsed.

Yes. Part of the roof looks like glass and steel, some looks like metal and other mixed materials. I know my living room ceiling is rock hard tiles connected to some sort of concrete looking gridlike material underneath. I know this, since a corner fell right off. It weighs about 50 lbs though it is a pretty small piece. (Foundation of the house is sinking.)

It could be that which fell on people. The building is unstable.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Part of the roof looks like glass and steel, some looks like metal and other mixed materials.

The roof is steel and glass. The terminal itself is made of concrete.

When we get some better pictures we should be able to tell if it actually hit the terminal. One report said it is in the waiting room but it looks like the cab car is still on the platform.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join