It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Transit Train Has Crashed into Station in Hoboken: Injuries Reported-Mass Casualties

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

A train struck the train station in Hoboken Thursday morning, with reports of injuries and possibly mass casualties.

NBCNewYork

Pictures on social media showed serious damage to the train station, with twisted metal and piles of bricks. Reports suggested the train somehow struck the station

Twitter/big_Poppa_Chop

This is a developing story.
edit on 29-9-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

Police chief stated "there are mass casualties" to NBCNewYork.

There is a live feed at WABC 100+ injuries have been verified.

Apparently there was a similar acident at the same station in the 80s, where the train was not able to stop in about the same place.
That one was due to a contaminant on the rail, a test of a rail lubricant.

The WABC reporter outside of the station is saying there are still passengers trapped in the station. EMS workers are bringing people out of the station, still. The roof has mainly collapsed and on top of the train, mainly the 1st and 2nd car, which is partially in the station.

CNBC

As of 10:17 am, there is a report of 3 dead.

The three deaths were reported by NBC New York citing a medical examiner and a hospital official.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Looking at the pic in the link its hard to imagine there were no injuries but heres hoping

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: reldra

Looking at the pic in the link its hard to imagine there were no injuries but heres hoping

The social media pictures are bleak, to say the least.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I hope this is not terror related.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Train crashes on a strait stretch by a station? That is sketchy..... I would not be surprised if it was not and accident.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: imsoconfused

Exactly my thoughts - with everything happening in NH/NJ lately, I wouldn't be at all surprised

Praying for everyone affected by this, hoping it was an accident and not something more sinister

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
How does that happen without being made to happen? These trains don't just jump track. They have fail safes for stopping. I hope there were not really mass casualties. I will be keeping an eye on this one. Anyone hearing any chatter of it being claimed as a terror act online at all?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
They're saying the train failed to stop and plowed into the waiting area.
This is a really really old train station one of those vintage historical buildings but the trains are not vintage.
Sounds like some kind of mechanical failure.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

It could be anything , a shattered wheel/axle , driver or computer error . But yes the terrorism angle came to mind . I guess the terrorists are winning at this time .
edit on 29-9-2016 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused
I hope this is not terror related.

Liveaquawk Twitter

UPDATE on New Jersey Transit Hoboken train station crash. Reports of 100+ injured. No indication of terrorism

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
How does that happen without being made to happen? These trains don't just jump track. They have fail safes for stopping. I hope there were not really mass casualties. I will be keeping an eye on this one. Anyone hearing any chatter of it being claimed as a terror act online at all?

Actually I googled for more information, I found a ton of past train crashes in NJ, in the last 10 years. Our infrastructure is not in good shape.

The one post I put up says there is no indication of terrorism.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
As many as 30 people injured, the Daily Mail reports.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Actually I googled for more information, I found a ton of past train crashes in NJ, in the last 10 years. Our infrastructure is not in good shape.

Ok...I was just reading some tweets and one said it went off the tracks which I assumed meant prior to crashing, but I guess could be going off the end of the tracks.

Also reading it didn't slow down at all....maybe something happened to the operator? I thought there were failsafes for this type of scenario, such as if it hits a certain point and is going too fast the brakes are automatically applied.

Here's to hoping there are not many fatalities.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Don't they have something called a dead mans switch to prevent that happening? If the operator had a heart attack for example?.
At this stage we can only guess just hope folk are not that badly injured.

link   

Don't they have something called a dead mans switch to prevent that happening? If the operator had a heart attack for example?.
At this stage we can only guess just hope folk are not that badly injured.

link   
Looks like twitter lit up starting at 8:49 on that crash. A good friend of mine left that station not five minutes before that.

link   

Ok...I was just reading some tweets and one said it went off the tracks which I assumed meant prior to crashing, but I guess could be going off the end of the tracks.

Also reading it didn't slow down at all....maybe something happened to the operator? I thought there were failsafes for this type of scenario, such as if it hits a certain point and is going too fast the brakes are automatically applied.

Which is probably why it was mechanical, but hey, it is getting close to Election Day, so we gotta step it up a bit on the terrorism angle.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

Which is probably why it was mechanical, but hey, it is getting close to Election Day, so we gotta step it up a bit on the terrorism angle.

Not the election that made me think maybe terror. Its all the damm terror attacks that have been happening.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The trouble with calling something a failsafe, is that the terminology does not accurately describe the object or mechanism it refers to.

Failsafes only provide safety in the event of the failure they are designed to prevent, actually being the one which occurs. For example, if the failsafe fails, then that is a can of worms, in and of itself. If lubricant is on the track for some reason, too much of it at least, then no failsafe braking system being deployed, is going to make a blind bit of difference. If the failsafe was defective and de-activated temporarily to prevent a misfire causing trouble on this run, rather than being replaced right away, then that is another scenario which might cause something like this. There are so many possibilities, even with a failsafe device installed, that to assume anything nefarious before being shown some evidence of it, is to assume the hoofbeats one hears are zebras, before considering the greater probability of them being those of horses.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

Who is stepping it up on the terrorism angle?

Given the current climate its perfectly logical to say up front, "no indication of terrorism".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join