It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Th' sound to vanish from English language because of multiculturalism.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
What a load of bs.. I have a London accent and pronounce the th.. I've never heard anyone English say vis or dis for this for example.
French will say vis and Arabic will say zis bit that is more to do with their own language and how theirouth movement s are when they pronounce a word..
Some foreign people find the th difficult because they have never learned to use their tongue that way when speaking..

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Well, that's the English language for you. Massively variable and evolving all the time. People living in London have always spoken differently from people living (say) Wiltshire, or Northumberland. No doubt the influx of foreigners will continue to mark the pace of change.

My biggest problem is the encroachment of Americanisms into English due to the invasiveness of US TV. It's "loo", or "toilet" and not a "bathroom", you muppet.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
What about for people with a speech impediment you racist!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

Whilst I remain, whilst breath is gifted to my lungs, strength to my will, there will remain art within the spoken English language, even if it renders me more thoroughly obsolete than I already am. There will, no matter what trends infect her beauty, always be a right way and a wrong way to pronounce words in the English dictionary. Having fought both geography and social status in order to retain the ability I have with the English language, I am disinclined to relinquish any small facet of that ability, especially in some vain attempt to fit in with a distinctly broken society.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

Kids in school are being forced to use the "new words"..otherwise they get a lower grade. On a street..you can talk however you want. This is not the case while performing your duties or work in public institutions. It goes along the latest PC craze...where you have to cater to lunacy so as not to offend the butterfly generation.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
seeing as how i work in "DA BRONX" this article is a bit late for new yorkers

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
I see your location is listed as TN. Then surely you understand that people across America speak differently? I'm from WV and can honestly say that many people from TN have more of a "twang" then we do! I've been told I have a very "thick" accent, this is who we are. It is a part of where we grow up and who we grow up around.

I work with a vendor out of Boston and sometimes we have problems understanding each other. It's OK, we get through it! And then usually try to find words that are WAY off just to pick at each other.

I can't tell you the times when making reservations that they ask me to spell my husband's name, Paul. I've actually had them think I was saying paw.

My college roommate was from Chicago. Her accent was very sharp and she pronounced ever letter and syllable. She used to argue that we weren't pronouncing our town names right. LOL Huntington, WV home of Marshall University is pronounced Hunington (silent T), drove her nuts. She pronounced the words pen and pin different, we don't.

One of my favorites is when the weather channel has to report on weather in Fries, VA. It is pronounced like "freeze" so everyone local has a really good laugh about living in French fries.

Anyway, my point is. NO! There isn't a dictionary for each region now (except for the funny ones like - sensuous - since you are up will you get me something? Exp - Sensuous up will you grab me a beer?).

And this doesn't even start with different words used for different items. Do you drink pop or soda? Ever try to get a sweet tea up north? Ever order slaw on your burger above the mason Dixon line?

TN = Tamil Nadu (india)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It won't happen in my life time, i'll use TH more that ever now.

Shakespeare's Writings wouldn't sound the same without TH would it. It would mess up History more than it's already been messed up, changed, rewritten and all of the below, as above.
edit on 9/29/2016 by awareness10 because: TH at needed to be said do TH ou understande TH?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

NorTHumberland would become something very different. What of the people from the NorTH would be referred to as NOR instead? What about...

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

What a Horrific Daught, if De TH sound vanishes Den we will all be talking like Dis won't we, Ahhghaa no anyTHing but THat.

Honestly it make's people sound stupid even if they are not when they can not pronounce a simple word correctly and I find it personally maddening and cringe worthy to the point I may have to put my hand's in my pocket's and bite my tongue to stop myself from saying something.

Accent's are nothing new however and if there is any language were you may sometime's need a translator to explain what one person is saying it is English, for example Scot's especially Glaswegians can have a very pronounced and difficult to understand drawl as can we scousers (yes I am from liverpool and Yes I do speak far too quickly) and Wiganer's, some borough's of Manchester are specifically unique, Tyne Side, Somerset and then let's not forget Wales (though an awful lot of welsh people speak better English than most English) and yes we have a massive amount of new blood immigrant's.

Language is not my concern and neither is multi culturalism but for me it was and remain's more a worry about how the mass migration will reshape and eventually swamp out the remain's of British Cutlure's entirely due to the disparity in our birth rate to that of the newer immigrant's, (we are after all an island and even we who see ourselves as true brit's are descended from conquerors and other immigrant's, actually it may have been only the Pictish peopls's of Caledonia (Painted tribe's of Scotland) that had any original indigenous (earlier migrant's) blood and they too were of course migrant's a long time after the ice age probably even replacing earlier British.

But I do seriously hope they learn to say the TH sound.

There I go on about people sounding stupid and I can not even spell thing's right.

It is also worth saying that many of them are pronouncing wrongly not just because of dialect (accent's) but also because of how they are tought to speak especially for the bilingual community, in many country's TH is pronounced differently to the way that we use in in Britain, also there are other differences in written language with the implication's it may have on bilingual pronunciation such as for example in Spain Z is used and has the same sound as TH here in the UK.

edit on 29-9-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

You do realize don't you, that if you don't talk to people that talk like that, THEY will eventually disappear from the English language. It amazes me that so many people don't realize or think it through that, in the final analysis.......you are NOT required to ENGAGE! I was at a bar one afternoon in the downtown area of our city and this guy walked in, settled down in a seat and proceeded to lecture me on something or other in a version of English I'd never heard before. I listened and couldn't understand a word of it. I took out a newspaper and started reading it and he just kept babbling on. Finished my beer, paid my tab and left and as I was leaving, he just kept blabbering on in gibberish.

Like the song says............walk on by!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I say embrace it.

The sooner we are all speaking a pigeon that sounds like a lol cats and ebonics mated and produced a love child lingo, the better of and more comedic this world would be.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Honestly it make's people sound stupid even if they are not when they can not pronounce a simple word correctly and I find it personally maddening and cringe worthy to the point I may have to put my hand's in my pocket's and bite my tongue to stop myself from saying something. ooops i think you just did lol.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't know that it can become more comedic, it's so comedic now with all those crappy reality/but not really reality shows it makes one wish for death while trying to drown out the uncontrollable sobbing of special snowflake syndrome.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Not that many people will be saying thank you anymore I guess. Instead they will say F*** you

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

It's not multiculturalism's fault if a language evolves. Chaucer would be shaking his head the way you Brits pronounce the English language.

...and he'd be spinning in his grave at the way Americans bastardise the language daily.

Just kidding of course, and the OP must be a joke. It's not multiculturalism that is destroying the language, it's stupid people (most of them English)
edit on 29/9/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

They may one day just retort to Grunts instead unless some special group complains that is.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
a reply to: rickymouse

They may one day just retort to Grunts instead unless some special group complains that is.

If you assess the current generation of young people in Britain, a grunt is about the limit of their communication already.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
replacing the TH sound with an F or V sound has been going on forevvah in the South East.
It's what's known as Estuary English and is nothing at all to do with "Multiculturalism"

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Hey there are also speach impediment's, I can not name the number of time's my family have burst out laughing when all I said was I am just going to Sit Down, you see I have a lisp, now a lisp make's my 'S' sound like a very mild 'Sh'.
Children though are the best and it is just cute on a child but not an adult, Police Ocifer, Sgabetti etc.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join