It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Th' sound to vanish from English language because of multiculturalism.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

"The "th" sound – also called the voiced dental nonsibliant fricative – is likely to change to be replaced an "f", "d", or "v" meaning "mother" will be pronounced "muvver" and "thick" will be voiced as "fick""

'Th' sound to vanish from English language because of multiculturalism.

Picture of recent visit by an American first lady to top schools in England.

edit on 29-9-2016 by Pandaram because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Thu Sep 29 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I'm sorry I just don't believe vat will happen.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

Some accents already say things like that. Cockneys and Johnathan Ross.
Language evolves accents evolve they always have.
edit on 29-9-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Don't some British people already do it this way?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Jesus.

These days I'm feeling happy I have less then half of my life remaining...so I wont have to live through the future that is looming on the horizon.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

We've had cockneys mispronouncing the 'th' sound for hundreds of years. Why should anything change so soon because of a load of immigrants who can't talk correctly?

At what point does 'that' become rendered as 'vat' or 'dat' in our dictionaries?

And what about other anglophone countries who experience similar problems?

Will US dictionaries change 'mother' into 'modda' because of New Yorkers?

Doubt it. Just sounds like sensationalist pony.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
A load of rubbbish - variouus dialects have different pronounciations and have done for hundreds of years, immigration/multiculturalism has nothing to do with it - compare Glaswegian to RP for example.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Yeah everyone around west Yorkshire have Yorkshire accents no matter what colour.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

It's not multiculturalism's fault if a language evolves. Chaucer would be shaking his head the way you Brits pronounce the English language.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Guilty as charged being northern
I know my accent is so sexy so it is all good

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
First of all, it's not a "dental fricative", it's actually an "interdental fricative". To produce a "dental fricative", you would either need your tongue super far forward and then raised in front of your top teeth *or* behind your top teeth (i.e. recessed in your mouth a bit and somewhere physically between /θ/ (th sound) and /s/). This is just nit-picking the description, though.

Furthermore, this is highly unlikely to happen by 2066. A decent number of members here will hopefully/likely still be alive by then. This alone makes the claim basically absurd, given that I'm sure most of us pronounce it "th" rather than the other suggested variants for the rest of our lifetimes (plus probably most of our children).

Plus, within 1-2 generations (max), immigrants and/or their children have begun natively speaking the regional dialect in almost all cases. Basically, immigration would have to drastically surpass native speakers birth rates and a handful of other things for any sounds to completely disappear from the language. This *can* happen, but English is spread out so much between the US, UK, and Australia (not to mention elsewhere), that this simply won't happen by 2066.
edit on 29-9-2016 by SomethingLingual because: grammar fix

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Hey while growing up in my house hold whole words had gone missing and replaced.

For example:

Instead of "You son of a Bi tch"

I grow up with "You sonama Bit ch" being constantly said by my Grandparents as a term of endearment toward each other.

But I still learned and use the words "son" "of" and "a" properly when calling some ones mother a female dog.

I think "Th" will be around a long time to come; you don't have to worry to much about it.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

It's not multiculturalism's fault if a language evolves. Chaucer would be shaking his head the way you Brits pronounce the English language.

Yes, thank god for Americans who spell and pronounce words correctly and don't drawl, y'all.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Of course it's gonna change, it didn't take long to change after we left Europe to what we have today.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

originally posted by: DJW001

Yes, thank god for Americans who spell and pronounce words correctly and don't drawl, y'all.

You betcha!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

Jesus.

These days I'm feeling happy I have less then half of my life remaining...so I wont have to live through the future that is looming on the horizon.

Don't be so depressive.
Everything around us is changing every second, always has always will.
I bet Croatian language is different today from what it was 30 years ago.
I read a new dictionary of my native language the other day.
There are around 300 more English words in it Compared to the one that was published 10 years ago.
Enjoy your life and stop worrying about things you don't have any influence on.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   
This has been happening, slowly, since Anglo-Saxon times. For example, the word "murder" used to be spelt "murther", and was spelt that way in the trial of Charles I.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

Enjoy your life and stop worrying about things you don't have any influence on

So...I should just shut up and accept what is being forced upon me even though I dont agree with it.

Got it.

Yeah...and I dont like it. We used to call a bicycle a "bicikl"...and helicopter a "helikopter"....these days it's...betweenthelegs vehicle (literal translation) and air beating vehicle.

Because it's new...doesnt mean it's good.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I see your location is listed as TN. Then surely you understand that people across America speak differently? I'm from WV and can honestly say that many people from TN have more of a "twang" then we do! I've been told I have a very "thick" accent, this is who we are. It is a part of where we grow up and who we grow up around.

I work with a vendor out of Boston and sometimes we have problems understanding each other. It's OK, we get through it! And then usually try to find words that are WAY off just to pick at each other.

I can't tell you the times when making reservations that they ask me to spell my husband's name, Paul. I've actually had them think I was saying paw.

My college roommate was from Chicago. Her accent was very sharp and she pronounced ever letter and syllable. She used to argue that we weren't pronouncing our town names right. LOL Huntington, WV home of Marshall University is pronounced Hunington (silent T), drove her nuts. She pronounced the words pen and pin different, we don't.

One of my favorites is when the weather channel has to report on weather in Fries, VA. It is pronounced like "freeze" so everyone local has a really good laugh about living in French fries.

Anyway, my point is. NO! There isn't a dictionary for each region now (except for the funny ones like - sensuous - since you are up will you get me something? Exp - Sensuous up will you grab me a beer?).

And this doesn't even start with different words used for different items. Do you drink pop or soda? Ever try to get a sweet tea up north? Ever order slaw on your burger above the mason Dixon line?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

Enjoy your life and stop worrying about things you don't have any influence on

So...I should just shut up and accept what is being forced upon me even though I dont agree with it.

Got it.

Yeah...and I dont like it. We used to call a bicycle a "bicikl"...and helicopter a "helikopter"....these days it's...betweenthelegs vehicle (literal translation) and air beating vehicle.

Because it's new...doesnt mean it's good.

What exactly is forced upon you? Has anyone forced you to spell or pronounce English words differently ?
The Internet has made our world much smaller, and I'm pretty sure that it has influenced our languages more than multiculturalism as the OP claims.
If you read any of William Shakespeare plays you will se that they spell the word "has" as "hath".
"He hath abandoned his physicians"
The word "has" is clearly an altered version but we still use it. It's a natural development of linguistics, only difference is that it's happening a bit faster today than it did before.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join