It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: White House Cuts Hubble Telescope Repair Funding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The White House has excluded any funding for repairs to the Hubble Space Telescope from the 2006 NASA budget, instead telling NASA to plan a mission to de-orbit the craft. The decision is inline with the 2004 annoucement by President Bush directing NASA to focus future spending on manned missions to the moon and Mars. A mission to install rocket engines to bring the space telescope back to Earth in a crash-landing in the Pacific Ocean would not need to be conducted until the end of the decade.

www.space.com
WASHINGTON – The White House has eliminated funding for a mission to service the Hubble Space Telescope from its 2006 budget request and directed NASA to focus solely on de-orbiting the popular spacecraft at the end of its life, according to government and industry sources.

NASA is debating when and how to announce the change of plans. Sources told Space News that outgoing NASA Administrator Sean O’Keefe likely will make the announcement Feb. 7 during the public presentation of the U.S. space agency’s 2006 budget request.

That budget request, according to government and industry sources, will not include any money for Hubble servicing but will include some money for a mission to attach a propulsion module to Hubble needed to safely de-orbit the spacecraft with a controlled re-entry into the Pacific Ocean. NASA would not need to launch such a mission before the end of the decade to guide the massive telescope safely into the ocean.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Hubble Space Telescope has provided us with breathtaking pictures of deep space, but it has already met and will likely surpass its projected lifespan, and I agree with the decision not to spend any more money trying to repair it. Space exploration should again involve humans in actual exploration rather than just orbital missions to repair satellites. I hope the time when men will set foot again on the moon or even on Mars will not be too far away.

Related News Links:
olympics.reuters.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: NASA Administrator Sean OKeefe Set To Resign
Hubble Telescope Pics

[edit on 1/22/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I disagree, the Hubbel has much more life in it and the next orbiting telescope is ??????? The repairs that they want to make would allow it to contribute even more to our understanding of the universe. To terminate this program while it still has life in it seems abhorent to me. Then again maybe its cause I have seperation issues....

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
FredT, if there was an unlimited amount of money to spend in space, I would agree, but the Hubble has met all expectations and I think it's time to move forward with other missions. New Earth-based telescopes using optical interferometry should provide images just as good if not better than those obtained by the Hubble.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
While the telescope has given us some spectacular pictures during it time in space, it is getting older and to keep servicing it seems like a waste of time and money.

I do believe that it should be brought back to Earth via the Space Shuttle and placed in the Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian.

The James Webb Space Telescope, set for a 2011 launch, will be twice as large as the Hubble and in theory, the pictures it sends back while be literally "out of this world!"

Here's a little more on the JWST, with links: Click here!

I can't hardly wait!

[edit on 22/1/05 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
New Earth-based telescopes using optical interferometry should provide images just as good if not better than those obtained by the Hubble.

Why are the reasons behind your statement? Isn't there something to be said for having the same technology in space?

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn

New Earth-based telescopes using optical interferometry should provide images just as good if not better than those obtained by the Hubble.

Why are the reasons behind your statement? Isn't there something to be said for having the same technology in space?

I really don't see the logic in spending money on a telescope in space when the same images can be taken much more cheaply from Earth. When Hubble was designed, that kind of technology was not available.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I really don't see the logic in spending money on a telescope in space when the same images can be taken much more cheaply from Earth. When Hubble was designed, that kind of technology was not available.

Well, first off, I was asking for sources about this technology in comparison to Hubble.

But, what I was saying was, even if this technology is as good as the Hubble now, isn't there something to be said for putting this newer tech. into space?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
In a press release showing the agenda for ESA over the next few years, ESA showed that it'll be launching not 1 but 2 new telescopes into space before 2007, it might be that the US takes this in consideration and sees that leasing time on the 2 new telescopes will be economicly much more efficient, not to mention Hubble is 15 year old tech by now, leasing time rather cheaply(in comparison) on 2 brand new scopes, compared to spending a few billion on a repair mission(for which a brand new robot would need to be designed and built) and still having to work on 15 year old tech.

Think you catch my drift...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Let's face it, the government has to plug the holes of the deficit, the re-elect-me taxbreaks and the huge millitary spendings.

Social security and hubble funstuff and other assets without much strategic value to the corporations will pay the price....

The Hubble can wathc the stars, but the F-22 can secure oilfields...

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

new topics

top topics

join