It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soviet madness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think the 30,000 ton ship full of nuclear material is a work of fiction. I have at least some expertise in this area, and I can attest nobody would do that. For one, there will be a huge amount of heat released due to the ongoing decay of the unstabel isotopes. That's just not practical. The crew would likely suffer as well (it would still be possible to shield their living quarters though).

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Wouldn`t it be more likely that you would sink it in the ocean somewhere until it could be detonated.The Russians seem to have a few subs sitting at the bottom of the sea

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
Wouldn`t it be more likely that you would sink it in the ocean somewhere until it could be detonated.The Russians seem to have a few subs sitting at the bottom of the sea

No, that's not practical either.

And Russians not only have their subs on the bottom, they have also surfaced in the New York harbor

I heard of a more exotic weapon that was in development -- a chain of nukes detonated simultaneuosly in the Atlantic, in order to cause a tsunami wave that would hit the coast. That's doable and who knows, maybe such system is already in place.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

No, that's not practical either.

And Russians not only have their subs on the bottom, they have also surfaced in the New York harbor

I heard of a more exotic weapon that was in development -- a chain of nukes detonated simultaneuosly in the Atlantic, in order to cause a tsunami wave that would hit the coast. That's doable and who knows, maybe such system is already in place.

I wasn`t taking the urine just that if you want to sink something without causing too much suspicion making it look like an accident would not arouse to much notice

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Gorbachev was not a "faggot" he was a great man who tried to save the Soviet Union from the stagnate Soviet System and military-industrial complex however he just ran out of time for his reforms to make real progress and all we saw in the end was an economy that collapsed due to them.

I believe if the August Coup did not happen I believe the Soviet Union would be around today and back on its way to progress.

While a lot of people in the former Soviet Union and in the west are sour and critics about Gorbachev I have come to my conclusion after many years of research.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 27-8-2004 by drfunk]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
that cold war with russia isnt over article is a load of crap btw.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
When you know the Reds, this story is not surprising. I'm pretty sure that we 'll have well minded westerns minds who'll try to explain us that it's our fault if the commies builded this doomday machine !

The Soviets really believed that Reagan was going to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike (google Project RYAN) and no doubt were also terrified tha Reagan would build the Star Wars system that he proposed so no doubt they planned a doomsday responce if it came to that.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
Gorbachev was not a "faggot" he was a great man who tried to save the Soviet Union from the stagnate Soviet System and military-industrial complex however he just ran out of time for his reforms to make real progress and all we saw in the end was an economy that collapsed due to them.

I believe if the August Coup did not happen I believe the Soviet Union would be around today and back on its way to progress.

While a lot of people in the former Soviet Union and in the west are sour and critics about Gorbachev I have come to my conclusion after many years of research.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 27-8-2004 by drfunk]

I feel the same about Gorbachev he was a very important man in ending all this cold war madness. He was a far cry from someone like Nikita Krushchev banging his shoe on a table of a UN conference while stating "we will bury you"

The way Reagan and Gorbachev got along helped bring a end to the cold war. I think Gorbachev will go down in history as a great Russian leader.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
There are many people in the Ultra-right-wing circles that pine for a threat as big as the Soviet to still exist. That why so many people talk about China trying desparately to make them into the Great Red Mence, but they may never achieve such a level or if they do it will well into the future. As to some Doomsday weapon, it likely both sides developed an automated system just in case (Party leadership or Presidental secession line) was quickly knocked out. Each had to keep the possiblilty of retalilation alive.
The Cold War was a form of madness each side caught, and nothing that comes to light in my lifetime about this era will surprise me.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I think the 30,000 ton ship full of nuclear material is a work of fiction. I have at least some expertise in this area, and I can attest nobody would do that. For one, there will be a huge amount of heat released due to the ongoing decay of the unstabel isotopes. That's just not practical. The crew would likely suffer as well (it would still be possible to shield their living quarters though).

They never built it, it was only on the drawing board. As for the safety of the crew we only have to look at November SSN. They reduced the reactor shielding to lighten the boat, the result being irradiated crews.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
great to see a like-minded individual on Gorbachev Shadow

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   

the bottom, they have also surfaced in the New York harbor

The concept was originally thought of by a New Zealander during WWII, albeit using large conventional charges.
Whether using nukes or HE the tsunami was supposed to be formed by causing massive underwater landslides.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join