It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: U.S. Government being sued by Syrian-Canadian

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

He was born in Syria, was a citizen of Syria and didn't leave due to valid refugee reasons. Canada provided information to the U.S. that he was suspected of involvement with terrorist activities. I don't see anything wrong with deporting him to his original country of citizenship. If anyone did anything wrong by this guy it was first Syria then Canada. Stop bashing the U.S. for just following a logical procedure.

Logical? On what planet would be it logical to send someone, not convicted of terrorist activities - merely accused of same, to a country where he would be sure to be tortured. Especially when he was holding citizenship of a country right next door.

You've got your head in the sand, bud. You're willing to go to any lengths to justify this war on terror, no matter who gets hurt in the process.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Ah, good morning AL. I thought we decided you were going to stop being so shy!!!

Myself, I'm in a Lester B. Pearsonish kinda mood.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sybok8021
I realize that this in wrong. But this is not the only person in the world who has been wrongly accussed of a crime. There are people on death row, right now, who are innocent. He should be happy that he was able to secure his release. It's not like an American has never been falsley accussed of a crime or crimes in a Middle Eastern country, or any country for that matter.

Oh..that was constructive.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Ah, good morning AL. I thought we decided you were going to stop being so shy!!!

Myself, I'm in a Lester B. Pearsonish kinda mood.

Gonna be peacekeeper today? Oooh, I'm scary... (as Count Floyd used to say).

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Well, there's so many of the polar opposite here, we could use some. I'm sure I'll be cranky again tomorrow.
Being pleasant is a lot of hard work.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

On a side note, I thought it was quite ironic that the same week Bush was Times man of the year, Maher Arar was Canada's.

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Duzey]

We can only hope they planned it that way... Means there's still some hope - if you keep your head down and cover your butt.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Well, there's so many of the polar opposite here, we could use some. I'm sure I'll be cranky again tomorrow.
Being pleasant is a lot of hard work.

True enough...we have to hang tough...maybe we'll make a dent over time!

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Following the American school of proactive and not reactive practice, I would reccomend this gentlement to avoid landing within the US the next time he travels.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomMaster
Following the American school of proactive and not reactive practice, I would reccomend this gentlement to avoid landing within the US the next time he travels.

I'm sure he'll be in no hurry to vacation south of the border. Can't say that I blame him!

He probably had no choice but to connect thru the States in the first place.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
So, why isn't he suing the Syrians?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Well if you're willing to blame the Canadian goverment for its involvement,

Just a cultural note, one of the great defining traits of a true Canadian is the ability, willingness, nay, eagerness to blame our govt for whatever goes wrong.

Your anti-government conspiracy groups don't have anything on the average Canadian

Oh boy how your right on about this one
With that said I am very ashamed with my gov't for being complicit in the torture of unlawful detention of Mr Arar. I think the Liberals should issue a public apology ASAP. They say it was the American's fault? Well it was US who gave the information to the americans.
to Canada. Yes I am a Canadian and this case has troubled me to no end. I really hope justice is served.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
there is an inquiry going on in Canada...as a result of that I'm sure he'll be suing both Canadian and Sryrian govt's as well as the U.S.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
there is an inquiry going on in Canada...as a result of that I'm sure he'll be suing both Canadian and Sryrian govt's as well as the U.S.

I really hope so. What are the chances of Syria being added to the suit even though collecting anything from syria would probably never happen. I think it would be a good idea, sue all three responsible parties..

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I think it would be a good idea, sue all three responsible parties..

I say go for 4 lawsuits, and put the RCMP in the spotlight on this one. To me, they are pretty high up on the list of responsible parties.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I think it would be a good idea, sue all three responsible parties..

I say go for 4 lawsuits, and put the RCMP in the spotlight on this one. To me, they are pretty high up on the list of responsible parties.

RCMP?? Naw, CSIS is more likely IMHO. All though they could make it five birds with one stone.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   

RCMP?? Naw, CSIS is more likely IMHO. All though they could make it five birds with one stone.

I think five is a nice round number.

I just have some serious questions about the RCMP's involvement in this tragedy. Back in October 2003, Shirley Heafey, Chair of the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP, initiated a complaint, with some very serious allegations:

The complaint requires the RCMP to report on whether members of the RCMP improperly encouraged U.S. authorities to deport a Canadian citizen, Mr. Maher Arar, from U.S. territory to Syria. Similarly, it requires the RCMP to report on the allegation that members of the RCMP failed to discourage U.S. authorities from deporting a Canadian citizen, Mr. Maher Arar, from U.S. territory to Syria.

The RCMP must also report on whether members of the RCMP improperly divulged information and/or conveyed inaccurate or incomplete information about Mr. Maher Arar to U.S. and/or Syrian authorities.

Finally, the RCMP must report on allegations that members of the RCMP improperly impeded the efforts of the Canadian government and others to secure the release of Mr. Maher Arar.

I think their role in this needs further scrutinizing.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Op/Ed Commentary in New York Times (Bob Herbert)

Snippet...

The administration is trying to have it both ways in its so-called war on terror. It claims to be fighting for freedom, democracy and the rule of law, and it condemns barbaric behaviour whenever it is committed by someone else. At the same time it is engaged in its own barbaric behaviour, while going out of its way to keep that behaviour concealed from the American public and the world at large...

Arar case exposes reprehensible U.S. policy

Typical "do as I say and not as I do" mentality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join