It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela-Effect

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

My original interest in ME was from a science-fiction perspective. I was thinking of writing a novel on the subject, and perused these threads for ideas.
Not real original I'm afraid.

This year on a trip to New York City to visit my son, who is a social historian at a leading municipal university there, I had a very unsettling experience. At black moments, of which at my age I have quite a few, it still makes me distrust profoundly those absolute boundaries in Space and Time which are our sole protection against Chaos, and fear that my mind - no, my entire individual existence - may at any moment at all and without any warning whatsoever be blown by a sudden gust of Cosmic Wind to an entirely different spot in a Universe of Infinite Possibilities. Or, rather, into another Universe altogether. And that my mind and individuality will be changed to fit.

I'll let you look it up. And there are any number of variations on the theme.
www.amazon.com...

edit on 10/1/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

originally posted by: sputniksteve

originally posted by: Ruiner1978

originally posted by: Agartha

I've seen just as much confirmation bias, lack of research and critical analysis, flights of fantasy and complete falsehood from doubters of ME as the believers.
Let's not try and make out it's all one sided...

I also think it is one sided, but please prove me wrong and show us an example of a doubter posting something that was false or a fantasy (which they usually stem from lack of research and critical analysis).

And again, of course you think it's one sided.
And typically you now want me to show you an example of something that you have willfully ignored.
There's an example a few posts up, you even replied to it after I pointed it out!

And you don't remember the comical non existent grammar rule debate that came about from someone talking rubbish about what Darth Vader couldn't have said in one of these thread?
I will try and find it and link you to it if you really missed that one somehow.
It was quite an eye opener...

You'll get fools saying foolish things on both sides of ANY argument because this is the internet and median IQ is what it is, but that in no way makes both sides equal in that regard.

Why not?

Because ME is an unfalsifiable concept without a single instance where it cannot most easily be explained by something mundane. Therefore, EVERY post advocating an exotic explanation is foolish.

Even in an environment where exotic speculation is supposed to be encouraged?

Just because we're in Skunk Works doesn't mean it's suddenly not foolish to abandon reason. The rules for this forum even state the hope that members won't dive off into the realm of utter ridiculousness.

Being in Skunk Works means I cannot demand from you PROOF, nor can you demand it of me. It also means we are allowed to discuss all sorts of exotic possibilities. But to insist an exotic possibility is absolutely true when a mundane one is much more likely strains logic, no matter what forum we're in.

Just out of curiosity, and please don't think this is me suggesting you shouldn't or can't participate, what do you get out of the conversation? What do you take away that shows you it was time well spent? I am not asking so I can make a judgement or comment I am honestly just curious.

My original interest in ME was from a science-fiction perspective. I was thinking of writing a novel on the subject, and perused these threads for ideas. I still do that, hoping for something more compelling than what I've seen thus far.

Of course, I could make it more compelling by tying it in with something like time slips, but my first novel was packed full of time slips, so perhaps something like dimension shifting, where the POV character knowingly jets from one dimension to another.

I challenge people in the hopes that they'll produce a more convincing argument or more compelling evidence.

P.S.

That JFK-Car picture really got my attention for a few minutes, until it was exposed.

Thanks for answering. I can see where original or unique perspectives could be worth trying to wade through all the stuff that isn't. Good luck in your endeavor.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

My original interest in ME was from a science-fiction perspective. I was thinking of writing a novel on the subject, and perused these threads for ideas.

This year on a trip to New York City to visit my son, who is a social historian at a leading municipal university there, I had a very unsettling experience. At black moments, of which at my age I have quite a few, it still makes me distrust profoundly those absolute boundaries in Space and Time which are our sole protection against Chaos, and fear that my mind - no, my entire individual existence - may at any moment at all and without any warning whatsoever be blown by a sudden gust of Cosmic Wind to an entirely different spot in a Universe of Infinite Possibilities. Or, rather, into another Universe altogether. And that my mind and individuality will be changed to fit.

www.amazon.com...

And I believe that number will grow past the point that would astonish most people today.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

www.amazon.com...

Oh, I know. There are very few original ideas in science-fiction. My approach has always been to write a story that appeals to me first and foremost.

The trick is not necessarily to have a unique idea, but to have a unique voice, style, and perspective.

Check out the sci-fi best sellers. Rarely is the idea itself unique. Most of the time, it's been done hundreds of times before.
edit on 1-10-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

My approach has always been to write a story that appeals to me first and foremost.

Well writing a story you didn't like would be like writing an eighth grade English paper.

It would suck.

I just finished a wonderful multiverse novel, btw. Transition. First of a series. I'm stoked.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

My approach has always been to write a story that appeals to me first and foremost.

Well writing a story you didn't like would be like writing an eighth grade English paper.

It would suck.

I just finished a wonderful multiverse novel, btw. Transition. First of a series. I'm stoked.

I'll check it out.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I've seen just as much confirmation bias, lack of research and critical analysis, flights of fantasy and complete falsehood from doubters of ME as the believers.

I also think it is one sided, but please prove me wrong and show us an example of a doubter posting something that was false or a fantasy (which they usually stem from lack of research and critical analysis).

And typically you now want me to show you an example of something that you have willfully ignored.
There's an example a few posts up, you even replied to it after I pointed it out!

And you don't remember the comical non existent grammar rule debate that came about from someone talking rubbish about what Darth Vader couldn't have said in one of these thread?
I will try and find it and link you to it if you really missed that one somehow.

You'll get fools saying foolish things on both sides of ANY argument because this is the internet and median IQ is what it is, but that in no way makes both sides equal in that regard.

Why not?

Because ME is an unfalsifiable concept without a single instance where it cannot most easily be explained by something mundane. Therefore, EVERY post advocating an exotic explanation is foolish.

Just because we're in Skunk Works doesn't mean it's suddenly not foolish to abandon reason. The rules for this forum even state the hope that members won't dive off into the realm of utter ridiculousness.

Being in Skunk Works means I cannot demand from you PROOF, nor can you demand it of me. It also means we are allowed to discuss all sorts of exotic possibilities. But to insist an exotic possibility is absolutely true when a mundane one is much more likely strains logic, no matter what forum we're in.

Just out of curiosity, and please don't think this is me suggesting you shouldn't or can't participate, what do you get out of the conversation? What do you take away that shows you it was time well spent? I am not asking so I can make a judgement or comment I am honestly just curious.

Strange isn't it.
I don't believe in ghosts, but you don't see me in those threads telling people they are wrong about their experiences.

A bit of my own "critical analysis" :
Some members here get their arses handed to them in their usual haunts, the science and political forums. They then come here in an attempt to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Of course that's just speculation. I'm not that full of myself to claim authority over someone else's experience...
Lately I've been distracted by the political forums. In those forums, everyone loses.

Lol, exactly!
Star just for that comment.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Why not?

My original interest in ME was from a science-fiction perspective. I was thinking of writing a novel on the subject, and perused these threads for ideas. I still do that, hoping for something more compelling than what I've seen thus far.

Of course, I could make it more compelling by tying it in with something like time slips, but my first novel was packed full of time slips, so perhaps something like dimension shifting, where the POV character knowingly jets from one dimension to another.

I challenge people in the hopes that they'll produce a more convincing argument or more compelling evidence.

P.S.

That JFK-Car picture really got my attention for a few minutes, until it was exposed.

Don't take this the wrong way but maybe your intolerant mindset against people "abandoning reason" is what's hindering you coming up with ideas for a science-FICTION novel.
Wouldn't embracing and encouraging the more out-there line of thinking of some members, rather than shooting them down, be more beneficial to you?
Seems a rather counter productive and quite illogical way of going about things to me...
edit on 2 10 1616 by Ruiner1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Ruiner1978

I think it is a made up answer Ruiner. All of the information out there on ME, and a single story idea is nowhere to be found? That is only because they have a terrible imagination or are not writing books at all.

Just the fact alone that they are saying they are unable to write because all of the theories on ATS are too dumb. Does that sound like a writer? I don't see how the two are even connected personally. I write as well, I have never published anything but even I am smart enough to know that you don't put your best ideas out on ATS if you have a use for them. In any case, and this isn't supposed to be a personal insult to anyone but if I am wrong and that was honest, it can't be terribly good writing.

It is a ridiculous answer, most if not all writers would be too embarrassed to admit they had to poach others original and unique ideas off ATS in order to write a story. Even if they were stealing peoples ideas, they wouldn't begin to admit it in order to answer my seemingly baited question.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

a reply to: Ruiner1978

I think it is a made up answer Ruiner. All of the information out there on ME, and a single story idea is nowhere to be found? That is only because they have a terrible imagination or are not writing books at all.

Just the fact alone that they are saying they are unable to write because all of the theories on ATS are too dumb. Does that sound like a writer? I don't see how the two are even connected personally. I write as well, I have never published anything but even I am smart enough to know that you don't put your best ideas out on ATS if you have a use for them. In any case, and this isn't supposed to be a personal insult to anyone but if I am wrong and that was honest, it can't be terribly good writing.

It is a ridiculous answer, most if not all writers would be too embarrassed to admit they had to poach others original and unique ideas off ATS in order to write a story. Even if they were stealing peoples ideas, they wouldn't begin to admit it in order to answer my seemingly baited question.

Interesting points.
And they say ME believers can't critically analyse...

Here's an idea for a book, off the top of my head.

Title:
Row Row Row the Boat: The Life Delusion

In the same way people realise they're dreaming when they notice something out of whack, dream signs, and begin lucid dreaming. People start noticing things out of whack in "reality".
Turns out that waking life and reality is a mass shared dream. ME changes are "dream signs" and some some people become more lucid in waking life, able to manipulate reality and do many miraculous things, much like a lucid dreamer.

You could tie all sorts of things into the story, mental illness turns out to be people just operating on a different level of this life dream, ESP, ghosts, other paranormal stuff could be explained.
You could even tie in a religious aspect. A mass awakening from the life dream where lots of people dissappear like a rapture. One character using his lucid power to take control of the world and brings about Armageddon. Another character trying to stop him like a metaphorical Christ. People passing on to a nightmare realm like a hell.

Lol

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join