It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 billion people affected because of sea level rise before 2050

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
...Dutch boy called Hendrick sticked his finger in a dike, saved the low countries for the floods...

All coast areas in the world are affected, if we keep the climate agreement and the global temperature does not rise more than 2 degrees, sea level will still rise 6 meters. The estimation that 1 billion people are affected comes from a ATS comment in another post.

Extreme case

www.theguardian.com...

edit on 2016-9-27 by galien8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: galien8

The link specifically states that sea levels could rise up to 2 metres by 2100.

Your chart shows Centimetres, not Metres.
edit on 27-9-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Unless they are very slow walkers, they won't drown.

Rising sea levels will cause a lot of problems. Drowning is not one of them.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Did you notice the portion of your graph indicating height is in centimeters and not meters?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It's 100cm not meters.
The opening paragraph says between 50cm to 1.5 meters by 2100.

Or did I miss something?

link   
Um, will they drown or relocate. Seems like it will be easy to outrun the rising tide.

link   
people will just move inland. You would really need to be stupid to hang around until the water is up around your neckline. I have no doubt that London will flood at some point though but it wont be an over night occurrence.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
You would really need to be stupid to hang around until the water is up around your neckline.

I guess you've not seen some of the threads and/or replies on ATS.

Yes, some people would wait that long.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
That would be 1 billion people, that saved us from themselves.

ehem...100cm
edit on 9/27/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

So, the best place to be for this monumentally slow 33 year non-event is on a boat or ship?...or maybe just roll your jeans up to your knees?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm gonna get me some water wings.
Then I won't have to stand on my tippy toes when I am 100 and what odd years old to keep from drowning.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
And THAT pretty well summarizes the state-of-the-art in the "Climate change" debate.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: galien8
...Dutch boy called Hendrick sticked his finger in a dike, saved the low countries for the floods...

All coast areas in the world are affected, before the turn of the century average sea level will have risen 100 meters. My country (Holland) is also affected, and will be completely under 40 meters of water. We cannot build a dike or wall of 100 meters high around the coasts of Belgium, Holland, Germany and Denmark. Problems of first major flooding will begin at "Spring Tide" when Moon and Sun work together on the tidal movement of the seas.

www.skepticalscience.com...

I don't think the billon people just stand there and friend lol....

A billion people will be relocated though.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

No.
The OP just shows that some people cannot read a chart.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'll be dead by 2050, and that sucks, as I like to fish.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
How many of these grave predictions have come to pass?

Not speaking specifically about the OP (because I don't know him/her) but as annoying as the "alarmists" are, I actually feel bad for them. I'm not talking about people that have some general concern (whether or not it is warranted) about climate change but rather the people who buy every dooms day scenario lock, stock and barrel. It's a terrible thing to live in fear like that.

Personally, I'm not all that concerned with climate change. It's practically a cliché at this point but the climate has been changing ever since there has been a climate. Is mankind making an impact on the climate? I'd guess we are a bit (although nowhere near to the extent that many alarmists (and politicians who profit from this) would have us believe.

Here's the thing though. As someone who isn't really concerned about Climate Change/Global Warming/Global Cooling... even if I were, I would change exactly nothing about how I live my life. I recycle. I don't tend to be wasteful. We just bought our first house so we can't afford it at the moment but when we can, we will most definitely be installing photovoltaic panels on our roof (not for climate change prevention but for the economic benefit and for the benefit of having power during a black-out).

When I point this out to the few true "alarmists" that I know personally, it's so strange to watch them get bent out of shape. The saying, "Misery loves company" comes to mind. Although they can't point to anything in particular I "should" (by their standards) be doing differently, the fact that I don't go insane with worry about random "models" (the data entry of which is entered by who knows), drives them absolutely insane. In a nut-shell, that's why although they are annoying, I do feel bad for them. Life is short and that is no way to live.

[end ramble]

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well at least you might be feeding the fishes

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

The link specifically states that sea levels could rise up to 2 metres by 2100.

Your chart shows Centimetres, not Metres.

Oh thank God, the picture was in meters :-( I corrected it

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Good thing is, in 2050, it will be another ~50000cm until I get wet feet if I´m still alive. Natural death will get me first.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Did you notice the portion of your graph indicating height is in centimeters and not meters?

Oh thank God, the picture was in meters :-( I corrected it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join