It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX Interplanetary Transport System - to Mars (new video). Would YOU go?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Hi,

Didn't see this posted already. Pretty cool looking video.

What are your thoughts?

Sending humans to Mars, to move there, permanently. I don't know. Maybe human beings were not made to live on Mars, did Elon ever stop to think of that?

I think they'll come back cripples, with deformed babies, once they've manufactured enough fuel for the trip home.

Elon Musk may be a visionary and a good business man, but he's also a touch crazy.

I suppose it's inevitable though. Whatever man can do he will do, no matter what the consequences.

What a trip it would be though eh?

Leaving Earth behind for a red, dusty planet. bye bye we all all wave some with tears in their eyes..

edit on 27-9-2016 by AnkhMorpork because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

Already posted

Link

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Oh ok thanks. It was just the video I wanted to bring forward, and talk about, that's all. Edit to add: as well as the implications of actually getting on board and going there, for real.

But if the mods think it appropriate, feel free to remove.

I thought the video was new.

Carry on.. but you're more than welcome to talk about it here too if you wish, about the implications of it on the human being,

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Which mission is this? Is it the Mars One where they aren't even astronauts and it's a one way ticket. Never coming back ?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

CNN:

Elon Musk said Tuesday that a self-sustaining colony of people could be living on Mars within 50 to 150 years.

money.cnn.com...

Edit: but in answer to your question, that's what I understand. The infrastructure, or some of it will precede their arrival, then they just move in, and don't come back until they make enough fuel for the trip home.

Freaky, eh?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The only thing I can say is it would be awesome to explore another planet. However, it may get boring pretty quick unless we find evidence of past populations and/or animal life forms. I would definitely want to come home to Earth at some point. Terra-forming would take thousands of years and it would be questionable with the majority of the water and atmosphere vaporized. Still, I would go just for the exploration. And if something happened to Earth while there ,well then the decision to go home becomes questionable at least a few years.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Well if you could afford it, he hopes to get the price point down to 200K/ticket, in case you change your mind.

He says that the employment requirements on Mars will be very high.

I happen to be a corporate recruiter, but I'll do all my recruiting from Terra Firma thank you very much.

Are you happy on Earth?

What do you feel that you could offer a Martian Colony?

You'd still be communicating with Earth and it looks like they might be on the verge of a quantum "ansible" type of instantaneous communication but even at a delay, it would still seem as if it was back and forth, to a degree.

Real time communications would alter the frame of reference I think, which would allow you to stay in touch in a way that just would be possible otherwise.

The psychological implications are enormous.

Elon Musk scares me, to be honest. I don't think it will go well for the Martian Colonists, and some might even commit suicide. It would be terrible. Can't get enough exercise to compensate for the difference in gravity, all kinds of stuff will happen to them that no one could have anticipated, and here Elon is already doing the countdown without I don't believe, considering all the implications for those people who for 200K one-way-ticket, leave the Earth behind and hope for the best!

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnkhMorpork

Well if you could afford it, he hopes to get the price point down to 200K, in case you change your mind.

Well, in this lifetime I don't see it happening for me. I could spend that money here building a log cabin out in the Rockies with a shop for my snow machines and other gear. I know I could have fun here pursuing the female of the species. However, if I were younger and could afford it, I think it would be epic, should I survive such an endeavor!

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

And if, as the Martian recruiter, I were to tell you that experience has shown that for the sake of harmony, the women were not already paired with the men at the beginning but instead outnumber the men by a factor of 4 to 1?

You get your own home and get this, they throw in a Martian rover, and benefits that you would NOT believe...

Also, no one who chose to go to Mars (I can't believe I'm typing this) at first WANTED to go. Those people don't have the psychological makeup to meet the stringent requirements of a harmonious civil society.

The people who want to LEAVE Earth do not make for good Martian prospects.

They're like active job seekers who've been looking for a very long time or who are looking for all the wrong reasons to leave, to get away.

The "draw" of Mars resides in the consideration of being part of an engineered human utopia, where you pursue all your hopes and dreams, on a barren, dusty red planet.

Your only hope would be in the context of the society that you form, so the bond with everyone there would be more loving, more trusting. True interdependence.

This will then message back to us on Earth and change us in ways that we cannot begin to fathom at this time, particularly when/if we see them giving birth to deformed babies and getting crippled, and experiencing unnecessary pain and suffering as a result. OR, living the dream within the context of a new type of human social network.

Sending people to Mars, mark, my, words, will be the most inhumane thing that humanity ever does to humanity, imho.

Or, it could end up saving us from ourselves but in ways that we could not have expected or anticipated.

So ah what the hell, I say GO FOR IT! lol

But not me.

You!

Anyone up for it?

You'll be a highly specialized and integral part of the formation of a new society? Lots of chicks too!

Are you sure?

I really wonder who would seriously consider it, and why they would..

Anyone? Would YOU go for the trip? Why?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Oh ok thanks. It was just the video I wanted to bring forward, and talk about, that's all.

But if the mods think it appropriate, feel free to remove.

I thought the video was new.

Carry on.. but you're more than welcome to talk about it here too if you wish, about the implications of it on the human being,

Oh my mistake, I thought you had posted the whole conference video (although this parboil at video was shown within that one)

Nevertheless, I think it's a very promising system, I just wish it had already existed in full function.

It's definitely the correct step forwards, and I am very excited to see that it can be used more than just going to Mars, but to really explore the full solar system

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
More shameless self promotion from the con-artist and liar.

I might consider going to Mars as some form of colony provided it wasn't a trip on one of SpaceX's vehicles.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

This is the second thread where you've outed Elon as a con artist.

May I ask why you believe this to be?

You would think that his company, which had invested in millions to further green technology and space travel (successfully, mind you) that his conning abilities are very poor.

I was under the impression that conning generally uses very little, if any of the con artist's funds and energy, while making faulty products that don't actually work, and reaping the benefits of the profits of such faulty products

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Yes, there should be dozens of probes heading to Jupiter's moons as we speak. Space exploration of our solar system is way behind for the 21st century.

This proposal is in many ways for the latter half of this century.

It's way out there.

Instead, I think... that they should send out two absolutely massive optical telescopes to be placed at two points in orbit around the sun, then use parallax (like on a submarine) to SEE the universe, or at least to see much much more of it's visible light.

Same thing with radio telescopes, a whole swarm of those should be positioning themselves in orbit around our sun to form an eye half the size of our solar system.

Those are DOABLE and affordable projects - wish they'd focus more on deep space, than local space, while probing Jupiter's mysterious moons and mini-solar system (which would tell us much about solar system formation).

I don't think they are doing what they ought to be, if scientific discovery and knowledge is the main purpose.

In that sense, this is highly distracting, this proposal by Elon Musk, and thus, unhelpful in some respects.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

No no, in my story, it's just fiction.

[Edit: oh sorry, you weren't referring to me - but I would like to refer people to my fictional story linked in my signature... about a Texas Oil Tycoon who took a 1000 year sub-light trip around the solar system compliments of Elon Musk].

My problem isn't with Elon Musk who's great and doing great things, but the idea that whatever can be done ought to be just done without considering all of it's implications, like the Neural Lace idea for brain/computer interface.

He's just a little bit crazy, that's all.

But that was just a prop in a fictional story.

I wanted to focus on the implications, technically, and sociologically and psychologically, even for someone who might be among the first to book a ticket.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

The post you're responding to is directed to another member.

I agree that the concepts you spoke of would be extremely helpful. Although I don't necessarily agree that looking at deep space, as much as our own solar system is a good idea, for now at least.

As you've said, we are far behind where we should be for space exploration. Because of that, we are in some very serious overpopulation issues, so right now it is my opinion that we cannot focus enough on colonizing other bodies within our solar system.

It would be ideal if we could focus on deep space and understanding what is beyond our field of reach, but at this point in time and within our current situation, it may be necessary to withdraw from that study at the moment

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I think the biggest fear (at first) is realizing half way there you won't be getting along with any of the people you'll be with. Could you imagine being trapped there and everyone in your party hates you?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
More shameless self promotion from the con-artist and liar.

I might consider going to Mars as some form of colony provided it wasn't a trip on one of SpaceX's vehicles.

You really don't like him I guess.. !

There is something a little off about him and some of his ideas which to appear to be grandstanding and hucksterism on his own part, to try to build his brand up. A stunt in other words.

But why wouldn't you book your one way trip to Mars with him and his firm, SpaceX?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheFlyOnTheWall

I think the biggest fear (at first) is realizing half way there you won't be getting along with any of the people you'll be with. Could you imagine being trapped there and everyone in your party hates you?

It would make for good reality TV.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheFlyOnTheWall

It would make for good reality TV.

That's what Mars One would like to happen

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Already posted

Link

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join