It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

craft ideas for an OCD 4 year old

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
hello all.
just wondering if the parents on board have any cool ideas for crafts that a 4 year old would be into.
i say she is OCD because she loves to organize things and line them up. she is very meticulous about her things. everything must be a certain way and in a certain spot.
so my wife and i have been trying to come up with crafts she can do that will keep her occupied and satisfy her OCD organizing skills.

we got a huge pack of different size/color buttons for her to mess with.
sometimes she will organize them by size. sometimes by shape. sometimes i tell her to make piles of say 7. she loves it. spends hours on it.

we got her a necklace making bead kit. she loves that too. spends tons of time on it.

just yesterday we got her a couple perler bead kits and she is LOVING it.
i already have piles of little things she has made.
if youre not familiar with perler beads, here they are.

www.perler.com...

she also loves to paint birdhouses. we get those small ones from the craft store that are unfinished and she goes to town. paints them up with cool little color schemes and then gives them away to all her buds.
she has buds all over town. my wife and i go to the same grocery store. the same gas station...things like that so she has gotten to know people that work there.
she calls them all her best friend. she made friends with the lady in the frozen food section at the grocery store. brought her a bird house of course.
the lady at the gas station always breaks her off a lolli so they are besties of course. brought her a bird house.

she is already telling us that she is going to give them some perler bead projects.

so i was hoping others would have ideas that are kind of like what i mentioned. crafty type things that soak up some time and play on her desire to organize things.
any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Well... I don't know much about kids... or crafts for that matter

Though might i suggest Minecraft?

Seems to be what you're looking for... mind you it is a video game, but still

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

thats interesting. i will show it to her and see if she likes it.
she plays video games all the time.

she has a 3ds and she plays animal crossing, kirby, and street fighter all the time.
i gave her my old android phone and she has that loaded with games too. plays hello kitty nail salon quite a bit.
she has a game on there called talking tom. its pretty cool.
this little animated cat repeats whatever you say or whatever noises you make so she is constantly saying # to talking tom.
loves that 3ds too.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Sounds like she's going to be an accountant. How about a sack of coins like pennies, she can sort them by date and start collecting them from change you get in the store.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Get her some LEGO or similar building bricks in several sizes and colors and some boxes to sort them all in. I know they can be expensive but the will last forever. The small ones also hurt very bad if you step on them...

And this, she will absolutely love this, if she´s into geometric figures and symetrics:

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com...
there is a similar toy just with round magnets, it also needs good hand eye coordination.

of course these are a bit sensitive, she should know not to eat them. Sounds like you´re a good father

They grow up so fast! One second you change diapers, the next minute she´s running and then school starts...

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Sounds like she's going to be an accountant. How about a sack of coins like pennies, she can sort them by date and start collecting them from change you get in the store.

i give her my change every day and she counts how many as she puts them into her bank. i dont think she is ready for date sorting yet. she can sort them by size but by date might be a bit much just yet

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Put her to work helping around the house. Not kidding. My 4 year old loves to help clean. Making beds, folding laundry, etc. Win/Win.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
My 4 year old loves to help clean. Making beds, folding laundry, etc.

What are you gonna do when they unionize?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
i know what kept me sane at weekends when i wasnt going to school, one word.

LEGO.

Follow instructions, dont follow them - make then all and then mash then all together to for some sort of giant thing!!!

Shes a girl but this behaviour she has might just keept her little mind happy for hours on end, oh and get the movie "lego movie" - its absolutely brilliant for kids and adults.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Get her some LEGO or similar building bricks in several sizes and colors and some boxes to sort them all in. I know they can be expensive but the will last forever. The small ones also hurt very bad if you step on them...

And this, she will absolutely love this, if she´s into geometric figures and symetrics:

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com...
there is a similar toy just with round magnets, it also needs good hand eye coordination.

of course these are a bit sensitive, she should know not to eat them. Sounds like you´re a good father

They grow up so fast! One second you change diapers, the next minute she´s running and then school starts...

i like that. i will have to look into something like that.
as far as the legos go...she has been on that for some time.

she has lego. she has alphabet blocks and she has the larger blocks. a ton of them too. she has had all those for some time now and i think she is getting a little burned out which is why i am looking for new things.

i got a connect 4 game thinking she would like to play but instead of playing with us she likes to play by herself. she makes a row of black and a row of red. she fills it up, dumps them and starts over.
she is constantly organizing and lining up her #. i think she spends more time doing that with most of it than she does playing with it.
my wife and i are both avid readers. we have a # load of books so of course so does out daughter. she had a huge collection before she was even born. she probably has 300 books. seems about right.

she can not read yet but of course we read to her. most of the time though she would rather take them all off her shelves so she can organize them(not all of her books are out. some are packed away) a different way.

she is a trip man.

oh we got her a bunch of magnets for the fridge too. she loves to mess with them.
the alphabet of course but also a lot of random cool magnets. she loves messing with them

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Contract it out? H1b?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Put her to work helping around the house. Not kidding. My 4 year old loves to help clean. Making beds, folding laundry, etc. Win/Win.

oh she loves being a helper.
when my wife and i are doing dishes she helps. she unloads the dishwasher and reloads it 1 item at a time. loves it.
she gets the vacuum out and puts it away.
after grocery shopping she puts the incidentals away in the hall closet.
for laundry folding she folds the towels.

always helps us

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

oh yeah. she plays with them.

she has this game(i guess it is a game) we found at goodwill. it is pretty old. basically she makes a tower, hangs the bell at the top and then knocks it over and has a hell of a good time doing it.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Contract it out? H1b?

You could always offshore the chores as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Big Box and book stores sell pre-K workbooks for letters, numbers, phonics, math, spatial reasoning, logical reasoning, etc. And Michael's has oodles of crafts. My kid also likes puzzles and magnetic boards. Magnetic boards because you can mess up as many times as you want and start over endlessly. Also Tinker Toys and similar types of toys. There is the Learning Center which has great toys too.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hey there father of a 12,9 and 8 year old.
When ever the kids start acting like little a****** we break out the crafts.

Modelling clay, colouing books, paints, blocks, egg cartons and pipe cleaners can make some fun things.
One thing that kept my kids busy for hours was telling them the story behind a dream catcher and then giving them the stuff to make them. Now they all claim they never have bad dreams.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Biigs

oh yeah. she plays with them.

she has this game(i guess it is a game) we found at goodwill. it is pretty old. basically she makes a tower, hangs the bell at the top and then knocks it over and has a hell of a good time doing it.

My folks issued a 8am limit on my lego playing time, because i had a very large box of lego that i would rummage through endlessly finding that perfect bit - they said it sounded like a pack of bears smashing up our bins outside! LOLOL

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Big Box and book stores sell pre-K workbooks for letters, numbers, phonics, math, spatial reasoning, logical reasoning, etc. And Michael's has oodles of crafts. My kid also likes puzzles and magnetic boards. Magnetic boards because you can mess up as many times as you want and start over endlessly. Also Tinker Toys and similar types of toys. There is the Learning Center which has great toys too.

# yeah. like an etch a sketch.
good call man. i didnt even think of that.
an etch a sketch or something like this doodle board
www.walmart.com... wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=44786298&wl13=&veh=sem

fantastic idea. an old school light bright would be awesome too

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Hey there father of a 12,9 and 8 year old.
When ever the kids start acting like little a****** we break out the crafts.

Modelling clay, colouing books, paints, blocks, egg cartons and pipe cleaners can make some fun things.
One thing that kept my kids busy for hours was telling them the story behind a dream catcher and then giving them the stuff to make them. Now they all claim they never have bad dreams.

yup.
she loves play dough. we got her the massive restaurant kit. she makes us burgers and pizza all the time.
funny you mention pipe cleaners too. we just bought a ton of them and of course she organized them all. she has several plastic cups in her room right now with her pipe cleaners in them organized by color of course.

im glad i started this thread. thanks for the ideas everyone

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I was into crafting wood very soon but that´s what you´re doing already. Don´t worry it´s normal that she want´s to be left alone while doing "her stuff". I know it from personal experience and from my daughter, loves to sort and build and resort and rearange her room -in the middle of the night-. She will put everything on the floor and start from there, sorting it clean.

Have you ever heard of the term "old soul"?

My daughter absolutely devoured the "what is what?" (Was ist was?) theme books. I´m sure there are similar brands in your country. I think we had at least 40-50 of them.

I predict your daughter will be an avid reader, too. I also predict she will be very adaptable to new situations when she grows older, contrary to what most think because of the rituals and ways the kids have when they are still young. I observed it first hand and observed that about my daughter, once she has a ruleset established she can use. Kind of hard to explain, think of it like learning math. There are rules and once she got them and her first "success moments" it will be a sort of big bang. The learning curve will explode. I´ve seen it with my daughter. If you think your sweet mouse is like a dry sponge to knowledge and informations now, just wait.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join