It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk outlines Mars colonization plan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
In his last rocket failure he suggested that it might be possible that a UFO blasted that rocket apart.
Maybe that UFO had connections with another space agency to stop his ambitious planning. Just an idea. .

I wish I could blame any of my screw-ups at my job on UFOs.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Ummm...I always wait until the third iteration of any device before I buy...

I'll go after the bugs are worked out of the first two iterations...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Not sure i'd want to be stuck in the shuttle for that long haul with people I may not get on with or they with me. I have a feeling it could become very claustrophobic in there and where can you go? Not very far by the look of it.

For me to go, it would have to be a much larger Spacecraft!
edit on CDTWed, 28 Sep 2016 13:22:02 -05000000003001x102x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
a reply to: schuyler

Now there is nowhere to go but up.

I disagree. 2/3 of our planet is still unexplored and awaiting us. We simply lack the technology to colonize the oceans yet.

I don't care if you disagree. If you want to live at the bottom of the ocean, be my guest. There will be a sufficient number of people who want to go. Your approval is not required.

originally posted by: violet

Boston and the Oregon Trail are on Earth. Big difference! I'm being realistic! Perhaps you don't mind dying alone in a strange place but some prefer to die in their own familiar surroundings. If you think you can handle it then by all means go. Bon Voyage.

If there's nobody here that will miss you, then it sounds like its right up your alley.

I kinda knew that already, but thanks for reminding me. But what are you being realistic about? One out of ten people died on the Oregoin Trail. There's a body buried every 60 yards. A whole lot of those people died in a strange place. To me it doesn't matter one whit where you die. But there's no reason to make it personal. A more careful reading of what I wrote will tell you I never said I would go. I'm too old to make it worthwhile. What I do want to do is preserve the choice for others and not stand in their way offering reasons why they shouldn't go that apply to myself, but not them, which is what a lot of you seem to be doing. I'm sure you can make up as many reasons as you need for why it is not a good idea. By all means stay on shore. It's certainly a lot safer. You needn't take the risk.

Your reasons for not going simply don't apply to those who want to go. If you don't want to go, it doesn't matter whether you personally "can afford" the $200K. You don't want to go anyway. But if you DO want to go, $200K is an obstacle that can be overcome. It's not "just for the rich" at all. Millions of normal people have that much equity in their houses. My father, who as a bartender made just over the minimum wage for most of his life, left me $200K when he died. There's all kinds of ways to get money if you have a goal and apply yourself.

If I were a 12 year old kid infatuated with Mars and wanted to go, the first thing I would do is get a good education in an engineering field that was sought after, which pays a pretty good salary. There's no reason I couldn't save $20K a year on an engineer's salary, and in less than 10 years I'd have the funds and the skills necessary to make me an excellent candidate. Maybe I couldn't buy a Corvette, but I wouldn't be thinking in those terms anyway. Or if one of my grandsons expressed a desire to go and got himself an education like I mentioned, I'd make sure he got to go.

To me your saying it's for the rich only and you'd never be able to raise the funds is just one more excuse to not go. That's really irrelevant to those who do want to go. So make up all the reasons you want why it's not a good idea and apply those reasons to yourself. You can contradict everything I said if you want, but all that applies to yourself. All I ask is that you not stand in the way of people who express enthusiasm for this adventure. It's really none of your business why people want to go. Just stay out of the way.

edit on 9/28/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I thought the 200k would be raised through the application process and other funding areas??

They were hoping 500,000 people applied each paying between $5 and $75... that would amount to quite a bit already. Seems a bit like a money making scheme to me as well.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Wow! I have no idea where you got the idea I said it's just for the rich people.. If this is something I personally wanted to do I could and would raise those funds easily. However I'm not going to have e a competition with you about what's in our bank accounts. Stop using money as your rebuttal! You seem fixated on that. I have no objection to those who can afford to go. It's not like it should be a measly $100!

Of course it's a once in a lifetime amazing thing for those interested. Absolutely!

Frankly, if I was going to take an extreme adventure I'd rather go to Antarctica or see the great pyramids, climb Mt Everest. However I've done enough travelling in my lifetime and not in good health to do any more.

Nor did I say anything about trying to stop it, I'm all for it . I'm just not into going myself. I asked in my first post in which you replied, but failed to answer before you condemned my opinion, if this is the Mars One mission (free btw ). That one way ticket thing is a rather serious. There's no way to get back or help if they get into trouble. I see it's not, but whatever, I'm afraid you will pick apart any reply I make.

" stand in their way"? Oh yes I'm about to start a petition to stop it! Violet said no and so it shall be. I said not for ME!

edit on 28-9-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

One of my fantasies has a few of aspects: First, there is a secret program to recruit Mars colonist well before we even have solid concepts of how they would get to Mars. --Where is the rational in that unless there is a behind the scenes secret program that is already or near ready viable and need volunteers NOW?

The second aspect of my fantasy is that the supremely rich have been tapped by the secret government to fleshout the programs that will be necessary to get these people ready for such an endeavor. And they will stand to not only to make history but big bucks in the process by literally being in on the (Martian) ground floor.

My third fantasy is that UFO-like ships are near ready to provide the vehicles that far exceed the ridiculous concepts that giant chemical rockets are going to lift a few hundred of passengers into the sky each time and that main stage is going to lower itself down to earth for the next flight. (Judging by the number of viewing windows of the ship in the video, the number of passenger load is about equilivant or more than the capacity of a 747. The efficiency of that rocket would be most amazing would it not?

While admittedly this is all pure fantasy of my doing, I'm troubled by the fact that I and many people have witnessed the huge and mysterious black triangles craft. These craft exist even as we pour billions into maintaining a façade built around typical aircraft.

The triangles can be assumed to be capable of traveling to the Moon and Mars. If so, would the government need military people to setup, run and work from the bases, or would they want civilians that are employed by the elite business at these outposts/research/mining facilities?

Is it a fantasy to suspect that military involvement is falling back in the expansion into space as too expensive to do on its budget and it is solely providing the transportation vehicles for the civilian businesses desiring to set up shop on Mars? That would be the best use for the triangles until such time that they become known to the general public. Ah, well, I suppose this complex fantasy has its failing, as the devil is always in the details.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Wow! I have no idea where you got the idea I said it's just for the rich people.. If this is something I personally wanted to do I could and would raise those funds easily. However I'm not going to have e a competition with you about what's in our bank accounts. Stop using money as your rebuttal! You seem fixated on that. I have no objection to those who can afford to go. It's not like it should be a measly $100!

Relax. You didn't, but others did, lamenting the fact that only the rich could go. Go back and read some of the answers. Believe it or not (and this is for all the objectors out there) it isn't about you. And that's my basic objection to the objections.

Frankly, if I was going to take an extreme adventure I'd rather go to Antarctica or see the great pyramids, climb Mt Everest. However I've done enough travelling in my lifetime and not in good health to do any more.

A good example. I thought this was about Mars, not your personal traveling desires.

Nor did I say anything about trying to stop it, I'm all for it . I'm just not into going myself. I asked in my first post in which you replied, but failed to answer before you condemned my opinion, if this is the Mars One mission (free btw ). That one way ticket thing is a rather serious. There's no way to get back or help if they get into trouble. I see it's not, but whatever, I'm afraid you will pick apart any reply I make.

Only because you seem to be missing the real issue. You and others persist in taking this personally and list all the objections about why you don't want to or cannot go and where you want to go. People have "disagreed" because of the cost, because earth is not completely explored, because they feel no one wants to die alone, because of the risk, because there may not be a way back, because they don't like my Oregon Train analogy, and on and on and on.

And none of it matters. To someone who wants to go, NONE of the objections in this thread matter. The obstacles are not there. The reasons are irrelevant. The mystery is why people feel compelled to give their negative reasons why they don't want to go.

Note Re: Space Ship One, the reason I mentioned it is because they have been under some criticism for not being at all serious, or even a scam. According to one of the "chosen ones" who quit the selection process, they continually hit him up for donations. Unlike Musk, they really don't have a viable game plan.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is not like the days of old.
Many of those early explorers were looking for riches, after their exploration they could go back home to the mother country and live in fame and fortune or so they thought at least.

The migration waves were people pushing for a better life, Living on Mars will not be a better life. And to top it off the carrying capacity of mars even with current technology is extremely low. Very negative in fact. Any technology that increases mars carrying capacity would likely increase earth's own capacity much more.

Have rich people sponsor others to go with them, the rich person is essentially their boss. Modern indentured servitude.

The fastest way to get self-sustaining colonies in space is to roll the dice and push the technological singularity; let the super ai figure out what we cannot.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
It will be the greatest reality show ever made...

Maybe even pay per view

That's what the guy who started Mars One thought. No investor agreed with him.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
This is not like the days of old.
Many of those early explorers were looking for riches, after their exploration they could go back home to the mother country and live in fame and fortune or so they thought at least.

The migration waves were people pushing for a better life, Living on Mars will not be a better life. And to top it off the carrying capacity of mars even with current technology is extremely low. Very negative in fact. Any technology that increases mars carrying capacity would likely increase earth's own capacity much more.

Have rich people sponsor others to go with them, the rich person is essentially their boss. Modern indentured servitude.

Note: Sorry. I wrote Space Ship One above when I meant Mars One. Space Ship One is a Virgin Galactic venture not at all associated with Mars One. My mistake.

To Jelly's objection. OK. You feel that way, so don't go. Yes, it's different. So what? It's still the pioneer spirit. As I've repeatedly explained, you don't have to be rich. This thing is open to anyone with the desire and stamina to get there. It's not your call. If someone wants to go, in whatever circumstances he or she is willing to go, it's not up to anyone else to tell them they cannot. There are lots of things I don't want to do, like, for example, jump out of a perfectly working airplane with a parachute. Even though I think it is crazy, I don't try to deny someone who wants to do it the opportunity to do so. For those of us who do not want to go or, for whatever reason, cannot go, our proper response is to stay out of the way and let those who want to do so without us hurtling objects in their way.

Musk wants to create a sustainable colony on Mars. Keyword: sustainable, i.e.: Not dependent on Earth. If he can do this, then he will have doubled the number of planets where homo sapiens can live. Not robots, but real humans. Exploring with robots misses the point altogether. When the next asteroid hits, this might very well have been the one choice that allowed humanity to survive. It's hard to understand that in the absence of an asteroid hurtling our way. It would only be apparent after the fact. But it's not as if we don't have hard evidence that this has already happened more than once.

We can gripe about it, invoke politics, proclaim unfairness, and wring our hands about diversity and safe places, or we can get busy. It is absolutely imperative that we get off this planet. And after Mars, the stars. And now is a good time. The longer we wait, the less time we will have to pull this off.

Mars Now. If you don't like it, stay out of the way.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Here's even a presentation of this... uh, confused person.

edit on 29-9-2016 by Argentbenign because: link

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join