It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Towards quantum Internet: Researchers teleport particle of light six kilometres

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Could the author not have written a more absurd article?

...successfully demonstrated the teleportation of a photon over a straight-line distance of 6 kilometres using the City of Calgary's fibre optic cable infrastructure.

Will someone kindly explain to me how sending a photon along fibre optic cable amounts to teleportation? By all means, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't teleportation the transport of an object at place 'A' to 'non-connected' place 'B' in an almost instantaneous switch (non-connected being the operative word here)?

The nearest we come to actual teleportation is the radio wave, a looped electric field leaving a transmitter antenna and being absorbed by a receiving antenna some distance away. The photon they sent was not sent through the air, but along specific dark optic cable to protect the photon against environment interference. Not by any stretch of imaginative interpretation is that teleportation. It amounts to nothing more than sending water through a pipe to a tap (fawcet) in a kitchen...it's the same action.

So, quantum entanglement. This has got to be one of the most poorly understood and poorly explained phenomenon of quantum physics. So counter-intuitive is it that even just trying to accept it leaves one in such a bewildered and confused state. I am utterly convinced that those who do accept it, don't understand it. They think and believe they do! They even talk and write of it as if they do...but they don't! All they know is that their interpretation of entanglement action occurring seems to bear it out. Apparently it has been experimentally verified, and is therefore accepted.

Of course, Einstein disagreed with it entirely, always suspicious that something 'other' was happening, something 'other' that has yet to be translated into a correct understanding. I suppose the question to ask is...is it truly entanglement?

If you have a pair of so-called 'entangled' photons and separate them by some distance, classical expectation would demand that for one to affect the other, something would have to be transmitted by the one and picked up by the other in order to conserve their entanglement, so that both photons act in a way that show they remain entangled with each other. However, modern physics says that nothing is transmitted or received, the 'instantaneous' effect of one upon the other just happens with no observable means. They also say that the distance between them is irrelevant, each can be at opposite ends of the universe and still there would be instantaneous effect by one upon the other. On this issue, I have to side with Einstein. The interpretation is unacceptable, and certainly unverified. The universal distance is a claim, not a fact.

If a photon (either as a particle or a wave) has velocity of 186,000 miles a second, and a pair of entangled photons are a million miles apart, in classical terms, one would expect just over five seconds would need to pass before one could affect the other. Even in quantum terms, the distance is such that it makes irrelevant the speed of light. The scale of the distance is beyond photon speed whereby entangled photons could make any instantaneous communication.

Here, I am talking only of a million miles, not opposite ends of the universe which would be billions to the nth degree of years in distance. There is a vast difference between physically doing entanglement experiments here on earth (where photon speed is not overwhelmed by distance), and doing them out in the universe abstractedly through mathematics. You see, in my understanding, the problem has a lot to do with scale. For crying out loud, it takes light from the sun just over eight minutes to reach the earth, and as far as I know, the photons from the sun cannot reach us any quicker! If you ask me, the incongruity of the understanding and explanation of entanglement has got to be highly suspect.
edit on 27/9/16 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

So wait, wait, wait, this machine does not teleport anything..... it entangles to particles, creating an identical pair, then destroys one of the pairs leaving the other 4 miles away.....

i didn't read the entire article, but it is making a copy than destroying the original..... or combining the original and new particle at the new location... This would be absolutely #ed if it were dealing with living things. Step into the machine, become a copy, and die as the original in an instant..... Mind #.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

Reminds me of the Ansible communications technology(Philotic Parallax Instantaneous Communicator) from "Ender's Game".

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire

Here, I am talking only of a million miles, not opposite ends of the universe which would be billions to the nth degree of years in distance. There is a vast difference between physically doing entanglement experiments here on earth (where photon speed is not overwhelmed by distance), and doing them out in the universe abstractedly through mathematics. You see, in my understanding, the problem has a lot to do with scale. For crying out loud, it takes light from the sun just over eight minutes to reach the earth, and as far as I know, the photons from the sun cannot reach us any quicker! If you ask me, the incongruity of the understanding and explanation of entanglement has got to be highly suspect.

Why on earth do you suspect their understanding is suspect when even the scientists who study it say quite truthfully they themselves don't understand how our why it works? They are being very honest in saying 'It works, but we don't know why'. No deceit, no lies, no incomprehensible math.

Your whole argument goes off the tracks when you consider this.

edit on 28-9-2016 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

Does anyone remember an experiment . that took cells from some ones mouth and put them in a petri dish, wired them up somehow to observe their electrical conductivity, and then sent the donor on a walk, when the donor found himself in a stresfull position, the cells in the petri dish reacted as if they were still in the donors mouth. Their was a suggestion this could be used for instant comunication, if my memory serves me it was a doco. done by Charlton Heston. If true it would tend to suggest that cells are quantum linked? Also if true, that distance between the cells in reality didnt exist, and probably many more interesting things.

It also links up with a report that in the days of the Cold War Russian Submarines carried some rabbits, The Doe was back in Russia, when the Sub wanted to send a message, one of the rabbits on the sub was killed, the Doe back at HQ. was wired with electrodes, when one of her offspring was dispatched, the encephlogram went crazy. This signaled a transmission was due.Or something like that..this also suggest that cells are quantum linked in some way.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Those sound like stories, not peer reviewed science. There are also stories of people who walk past streetlights and they go out leading the person to believe they are emanating some kind of field that turns off the streetlight, but they don't seem to consider the same streetlight would have gone out at the same time even if they hadn't walked past it because that's what streetlights do when the bulb needs replacing, it temporarily goes out sometimes.

Here's something you may not know: Many entanglement experiments are done close to absolute zero because warmer temperatures tend to break the entanglement. Can you see why this would create problems for entanglement in living cells, and especially warm-blooded mammal cells? Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

More evidence to support quantum theory’s ‘spooky action at a distance’

Hanson's team used individual electrons trapped in atomic-size defects in diamonds cooled to near absolute zero. In the defects the electrons easily maintain their delicate spin states and can be manipulated with microwaves and light. The physicists measured the spin of each electron with greater than 95% efficiency.

This is why I suspect there is no peer-reviewed science at the basis of what you just wrote about entangled cells, because cells don't work near absolute zero, and at higher temperatures the things that cells are made of tend to lose their entanglement.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join