It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Brexit and Presidential campaigns - Similarity

page: 1

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:34 AM
As someone who spends time in both the UK and USA I like to keep up on whats happening on both sides.

All the way through Brexit it was very interesting how massive issues which could have been discussed were not (By the exit camapaign), they tried to keep on a single message as much as they could (The stay campaigns fear tactics) and then as the election came closer they then started branching out and attacking different points of the stay campaign. Almost as if letting Stay say all their arguments and then preparing rebuffs for them.

Near the end they were coming out with fresh content, which I hadn't heard before and therefore it was not ignored. On speaking to different people it was clear this cord was hit and people did think it was fresh.

With Trump taking advice from Farage (who himself was very shock and awe) I'm beginning to wonder if there is a long game being played rather than trying to win debates.

The overriding message from last night was educating people that Clinton was "Old School" and already had her chance, Clinton in some ways fell into that trap, by acting like a president elec with a polished performance.

There was times when security was talked about and he touched on emails, but didnt really say much. There were times when taking about taxes he never mentioned the Clinton foundation etc.

When Clinton smelt blood she went for it, she wanted to win, she was prepared.

- Does anyone else think that if the mediator of the event was a good republican he could have double bluffed by being seen as "unfair" to Trump (I'm also open to the idea he doesn't like Trump) which might spark a cord with Sanders supporters?
- Could Trump be keeping things in his pocket for when voting is about to start?
- Was Clinton too presidential?
- Does anyone else draw parallels between brexit and this election?
- Will Trump being "Sexist" and "Racist" be enough to not get him elected?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:29 AM
One huge parallel: In both cases, there seems to be a sharp disconnect between what the establishment and the majority of pundits think, and what the people think.

Most people think Hillary won the debate, but Trump is coming out of it surprisingly well according to snap polls. For example, a majority of people think Trump cares about them more than Hillary does (Hillary has always come across as a rather cold & aloof person), and a majority of people think Trump is more honest than Hillary. (Trump has problem of his own regarding honestly, but Hillary sets a very low bar in this case.) So yeah, there could very well be a longer game than just winning the debates at play here. Of course, the MSM has been solidly against Trump all along, so it was always a given that they'd declare Hillary the winner, as long as she didn't totally face-plant.

Many conservatives think the debate was stacked against Trump, with the questions designed to play to Hillary's strengths and keep Trump on the defensive. Notice how they brought up the stupid Birther controversy (which will be a moot issue in a few months in any case), but never mentioned the Clinton Foundation, and actually shouted down the audience when Trump tried to bring up the e-mails.
edit on 27-9-2016 by AndyFromMichigan because: Changed wording a bit.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 02:25 PM
The common theme - and I don't really think BREXIT and the US Presidential contest are remotely similar - is that the pompous commentators, aka the so called “elite”, are all in a panic. It is possible that the people are re-writing accepted conventions? Yikes, and crikey, and guffoof!

UK - That the people voted against advice and decided to reject the undemocratic EU!
US - That the people (may) reject a "seasoned" establishment mover and shaker in favour of a divisive twit.

The only similarity is that people don’t like being told what to do!
edit on 27/9/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 02:31 PM
a reply to: latic

They boil down to the same thing, which anaylists have seen and been scared of since the Brexit vote. It was a terrible vote outcome for Hillary.

1) Globalism (Hillary, EU, MEDIA)
2) Nationalism/Anti-Globalism (Trump/Brexit)

That's what both votes will boil down to in the end.

The push for globalism is so loud and open right now, it really is weighing hard on this election.

Why is Trump - Teflon Don? Because as long as he's the nationalist candidate, he will not lose our support. We can over look stupid comments, we can over look his lack of political experience. It's his intentions we desire and can't overlook, a stronger America, the strongest country in the world again.

The media has done nothing but hit Trump, even today on MSNBC they are claiming Trump is doing coc aine.

We see through that, we see what side the media is on. It only validates our point and strengthens our resolve.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 02:45 PM
There some superficial similarities. However, the comparison breaks down over one simple fact. The 'Stay' campaign was a disaster because Corbyn was an apathetic useless prat and Cameron was his usual incompetent self. As a result 'Stay' was all over the damn place and failed to make the most of the multi-party potential.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 04:39 PM
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

In the same way isn't the Clinton campaign a mess. She should be nailed on at this point, just like Stay she's started to call people who support Trump morons, racists etc.

I dont think personally I'll be affected that much by either becoming president, however its allowing me to be unbiased and see what is going on from an overall point of view.

From Trumps camp smashing her about the multiple issues she has right now, might not win votes. Right before people goto the polls it might make a huge difference!

new topics

top topics