It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Lester Holt Unfair To Donald Trump During Debate?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

If anyone was unfair to Trump, it was Trump himself.

If you look at the transcript, there were many times where Holt tried to stop Trump right before Trump said something stupid. There were also many times where Holt was trying to stop Trump from talking so he could move on to another topic.

Trump's ego took over and defeated Trump.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Look! A part 2 :-)

If Hillary is such a grizzled vet that is amazing, why go over 260 days without a press conference. So she avoids tough questions by the press, and avoids them in the debate.

We get it, you hate Trump. Fair enough. But why would you not want Hillary to be asked tough questions?

She's not obligated to hold a press conference - it's not dishonest. It's good strategy. Especially when Donny is using all his time to hog the news feed with bloviation, histrionics and slight of hand

Good for her

I know one thing about Ms. Clinton - she has been asked hard questions her entire adult life. If you think I'm just talking - go do some research. She's not a novice - she is a seasoned politician. I understand that that turns people off. She played it just right as far as I'm concerned. Leading up to the election - she is front and center and available

Don Don used his time his way - she used her time to her best advantage

The questions put to her don't actually seem easy - unless what you're really wanting is for her to confess that she's been feeding state secrets to North Korea on purpose

I'm not sure what you're looking for. What would you have asked her?
edit on 9/27/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
I am not sure you folks were even watching the same debate. There was no winner. Trump did not have his ass handed to him and Hillary did not say enough to be pertinent. It was a waste of time that did not allow talk about policy but did make sure to discuss 'birthers' and 'bankruptcies' and the 'Iraq War'.

Hillary talked past her time over and over as if she was giving a press conference and Holt did NOT give her the same questions on follow up as to Trump.

Not fair? Sorry, he knew what he was getting into and those questions certainly seemed to be fairly biased to the former SecState. Biased...yes...It must be very tough to be in front of so many and have no chance from the start.

That's ok. The bias towards Hillary only helps Trump.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
Th only thing you need to do, is listen to his questions, and everything is clear.

I do not understand, how can you, a self-proclaimed Bernie supporter, be blind to the obvious bias of the moderator? He did not ask NOT ONE tough question to Hillary.

Establishment 1
Trump 0

Go next, and let's hope Trump learned to not expect a fair debate. He has to take matter into his own hands

And what was the tough question he asked Trump? His Tax Returns? Funny how Trump complained about our Airports looking 3rd World, whilst not paying a dime in Taxes.

The 1%.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

It was a Hillary press conference where she could just 'laugh' at all of his answers. I have never seen such a scripted 'debate' in, well, I have never seen one as bad as this. The issues were not what I wanted to hear about.

Birthers? Who in the F cares? Tax returns? Who in the F cares? I wanted to see them go head to head and it seemed like it was not allowed almost.

No one won the debate. It sucked for content to be honest.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I think what we saw with Hillary is about the top of her game as far as debating will go.

I disagree.

Hillary didn't really have to do much last night...just sit there and let Trump defeat himself.

It was comical really...all Hillary had to do was poke him a few times throughout the night and let his ego take over. Trump spent most of the time defending himself, his wealth, and his business practices...I'm not sure if he gave one detail about any of his policies.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

And I'm not going to get into another argument with you were you jettison much of reality in an attempt to belittle people who don't align to your ideology or view of a topic and chock the difference up to "bandwagon appeal."

I'm glad that we can agree.

Why I don't always remember to avoid commenting directly to you on political topics is a mystery I have yet to solve.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

It was a Hillary press conference where she could just 'laugh' at all of his answers. I have never seen such a scripted 'debate' in, well, I have never seen one as bad as this. The issues were not what I wanted to hear about.

Birthers? Who in the F cares? Tax returns? Who in the F cares? I wanted to see them go head to head and it seemed like it was not allowed almost.

No one won the debate. It sucked for content to be honest.

It only seemed like a Hillary press conference because that is the difference between a prepared candidate and an ego maniac.

I care about why Trump pushed the racist birther issue as recent as this January. I care why Trump is the only Presidential candidate in the past 30+ years to not release his tax returns.

What issues did you want to hear about? Not like Trump would have actually answered any of those questions anyway. Even on his "strong" subject of the economy, he never answered the question when Holt asked him what his plan was to bring jobs back to America. Holt even re-stated the question for him a couple times...and Trump still didn't answer it.

Hillary clearly won the debate, it wasn't even close.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
I disagree.

Hillary didn't really have to do much last night...just sit there and let Trump defeat himself.

It was comical really...all Hillary had to do was poke him a few times throughout the night and let his ego take over. Trump spent most of the time defending himself, his wealth, and his business practices...I'm not sure if he gave one detail about any of his policies.

Only time will tell.

While I would argue that Trump was explaining himself, not necessarily defending, I get your point, and I do agree that with him, there's not much substance regarding his policies or plans...he just wants us to 'believe him' that he has a plan and that it's the greatest plan and that it's better than Hillary's.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Because ya love me!

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: LSU0408

Only hard core Hillary supporters and hard core Trump haters think he got his ass handed to him.

Typically disjointed and unhinged response.

Only Trumpers think he won.

Name one person on the fence who believes Trump won.

Yeah, I feel the same way about your response. YOU'RE not biased by any means.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Well; he refused to call Sean Hannity. So, there's that.
Drumpf is an unqualified and unprepared fool. He came off looking exactly like that last night.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: TheBulk
Explain to me how Trump's alleged stance on the Iraq war was a bigger issue than Hillary's actual vote to authorize force in Iraq?

Taking responsibility for what you did vs. lying and denial.

FWIW, I've only ever heard Trump say he was against the war in Iraq. It wouldn't bother me at all if was for it, do you have a link?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I am not a supporter of either Trump or Hillary, and this is obviously my opinion, but I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis. I would say Holt's follow up questions to Trump would have been 'fair' if he had demonstrated the same rigor with following up on Clinton, but that was not the case.

Overall I think this first debate will have little impact on the polls. Many of the folks on both sides feel their candidate steamrolled the other, yet myself and a lot of my friends who don't support either one thought the whole thing was a farce.

I also think Trump made some solid barbs against Clinton's establishment background (i.e. I have the support of admirals and generals, not political hacks), but I question the effect that would have on undecided voters...

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

his name is krazyshot...lol just that description lol...

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Prepared vs Ego? No, sorry. The ego was her laughing thinking that in some way they rigged it the way it was needed but real people, people who know what a dirtbag Hillary is, simply saw it as an establishment crony letting her controlled media attack the other candidate.

The racist birther issue...first why is it racist? Because he was a person of color running for president? The media and yourself make it racist which is why it is a non-issue. Was it racist when they did it to Ted Cruz?

Issues? How about Clintons tax plan. Her idea for jobs in America. Her ideas on immigration and the borders. Her idea on who to combat ISIS. It was all her saying Trump this and Trump that but not what she is going to do. A politician who wants to take no side but all sides so in the end they can say they helped it along.

Sorry, she did not win the debate. Neither did he. It sucked to be honest as I wanted more interaction with the candidates themselves asking the follow ups..not the f'n moderator.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

She was definitely reading from notes. There is no rule against having them and Hillary actually cares about preparation.

No, that's not true.

As I am reading, right now, on this issue...the rules have become MORE strict regarding note-taking and prepared notes.

From 2012:

S alon piece on debates & notes

This year’s debate rules, which were obtained and leaked by Time magazine, are more detailed than ever when it comes to scribbles. Under Section 5c, the agreement says that “No props, notes, charts, diagrams, or other writings or other tangible things may be brought into the debate by any candidate, including portable electronic devices.” It goes on to specify that “prior to the beginning of the debate, the Commission will verify as appropriate that the candidates have complied with this subsection.” The penalty for violation is simple: “If a candidate uses a prop, note, or other writing or other tangible thing during a debate, the moderator must interrupt” to explain the violation. Still, as long they don’t write on them beforehand, each candidate is still allowed “the size, color, and type of blank paper each prefers” and “the type of pen or pencil that each prefers.”

So I don't think you are correct on that.

Wow, I didn't know about that. Clinton was definitely taking notes during the debate.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Exactly!

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
The special pleading on behalf of Donald Trump here is absolutely astounding (though conversely, entirely predictable.)

TJWs have been crowing for MONTHS that Trump would own Clinton in a debate; not only did that NOT happen, he looked like he had imbibed some sort of illicit drug, sweated, looked flushed, mottled, sneered like a petulant child, etc.

TWJs have been claiming for WEEKS that Clinton wouldn't have the physical stamina to stand there for 90 minutes; she looked Presidential, he looked like a guy about to *blow* a gasket.

Trump was Trump ... incoherent, nonsensical, repetitious, dishonest, bloviating and nauseating.

Clinton ... mostly stood there (perfectly for 90 minutes) and watched him fail.

Epically.

Clinton 1, Trump 0

Trump's bar was set low because he hasn't been a politician for decades. He, in my opinion, was above that bar. Clinton's bar was set high because she's been doing this for decades. She, in my opinion, was below that bar.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join