It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Was Lester Holt Unfair To Donald Trump During Debate?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Explain to me how Trump's alleged stance on the Iraq war was a bigger issue than Hillary's actual vote to authorize force in Iraq?

Taking responsibility for what you did vs. lying and denial.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Maybe Trump is just trying to catch up with America's view of Hillary's trustworthiness. It's like a race to the bottom between the two...

It find it bizarre that Hillary is considered less trustworthy than Trump despite Trump saying more lies during the campaign trail than any previous candidate and people like you think that Trump needs lower himself to get to Hillary's level on trustworthiness. Really shows how little the electorate cares about actual facts of the situation versus their personal narratives.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Correct.

What kind of person do you trust more?

(A): "Yes, I dipped my hands in this pile of sh*t! I won't do that again, it was a mistake."

(B): "No, I did not dip my hands into this other pile of sh*t. Wrong!" (afterwards a picture with said dirty hands is presented as a fact-check).

Sorry, but this point goes definitely to Mrs. Clinton. Not for doing the wrong deed in the first step, but for admiting to it.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Transparency is another issue that Hillary outshines Trump on, but that doesn't stop tons of people saying that Hillary is more secretive than Trump anyways.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
There is something that I thought was odd about the debate, and it may have just been the feed I was watching...

In the past, I recall the candidates having a pen and keeping notes while their opponents spoke so that they could be sure to cover everything when it was their time to respond.

I never saw anything like that, last night. But, again, that may just be the stream I was watching.

However, I did notice that Hillary looked down a lot while she was speaking at maybe some papers in front of her. My husband actually thought a couple of times that he saw an iPad in front of her.

Just so you know, neither of us will be voting for either one of them but if you asked my husband, he would vote for Hillary before Trump.

Anyone know what Hillary was reading from? If she was just reading from notes she jotted down while Trump was talking, that's cool. But there were several times I felt she had rehearsed some things.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It was like watching a quarterback play an entire defense and he had no protection and no one to throw to.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

She was great in the debate. That doesn't make her a good person. She won't win my vote but between the two (which honestly makes me sad), she was the one who showed the other doesn't belong in the White House.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

She was definitely reading from notes. There is no rule against having them and Hillary actually cares about preparation. So I can say with reasonable confidence that she brought notes to read from with her. I can also say that she probably DID rehearse some lines as well. Various points that she made sure to say when the conversation will inevitabiliy veer in that direction.

This is why I thought all the Trump supporters going on and on about how Trump would trounce Hillary in the debates. Debates are Hillary's comfort zone. That's like saying that some kid off the street could go one-on-one against Kobe Bryant and kick his ass.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Well her debate prep literally gets to quote Trump Narrative, while Hillary is only depicted as a Shrill lady that says 'smart things'.

Trump had no real way to reproduce her for practice.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Oh boo freaking hoo

Hillary was investigated by the FBI - and cleared. Now - until she's actually on trial - 15 seconds pretty much sums it up. I made a mistake - wouldn't do it again...

She wasn't cleared. The corrupt FBI just suggested not pressing charges, then went on to expose all the lies and negligence showed by Hillary. Why wasn't that questioned? Why isn't her negligent handling of classified materials not an issue?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Transparency is another issue that Hillary outshines Trump on, but that doesn't stop tons of people saying that Hillary is more secretive than Trump anyways.

It is now a narrative, a motive which everyone can believe in, as it fits to the whole "she is a puppet and her masters make her do it."-tirade.

Seriously, all I can measure Mr. Trump with are his deeds, and not his words about it, never! Tomorrow he will spin 180° and tell us he said it completely the other way around, and we should ask his interviewer, and the media itself just wants to conspire against him, obviously, and he is the best. The best. He is it. The best!

Oh dear lord, it is contaminous! Is Mr. Trump an SCP?! He is not! He is the best not-SCP ever! Man, this is easy. I could do it 60 minutes without a pause, easy! Maybe not 90 minutes, but hey! What? No, 90 minutes is easy, I could do this the whole day, and go golfing right now! I even possess a golf club, no, TEN of them!

Help me.....!

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

She was definitely reading from notes. There is no rule against having them and Hillary actually cares about preparation.

No, that's not true.

As I am reading, right now, on this issue...the rules have become MORE strict regarding note-taking and prepared notes.

From 2012:

S alon piece on debates & notes

This year’s debate rules, which were obtained and leaked by Time magazine, are more detailed than ever when it comes to scribbles. Under Section 5c, the agreement says that “No props, notes, charts, diagrams, or other writings or other tangible things may be brought into the debate by any candidate, including portable electronic devices.” It goes on to specify that “prior to the beginning of the debate, the Commission will verify as appropriate that the candidates have complied with this subsection.” The penalty for violation is simple: “If a candidate uses a prop, note, or other writing or other tangible thing during a debate, the moderator must interrupt” to explain the violation. Still, as long they don’t write on them beforehand, each candidate is still allowed “the size, color, and type of blank paper each prefers” and “the type of pen or pencil that each prefers.”

So I don't think you are correct on that.

edit on 27-9-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: SlapMonkey

She was great in the debate. That doesn't make her a good person. She won't win my vote but between the two (which honestly makes me sad), she was the one who showed the other doesn't belong in the White House.

Absurd. Her handling of classified materials alone should disqualify her. Nobody could get clearance after an incident like that. But you all look the other way.

link   
The special pleading on behalf of Donald Trump here is absolutely astounding (though conversely, entirely predictable.)

TJWs have been crowing for MONTHS that Trump would own Clinton in a debate; not only did that NOT happen, he looked like he had imbibed some sort of illicit drug, sweated, looked flushed, mottled, sneered like a petulant child, etc.

TWJs have been claiming for WEEKS that Clinton wouldn't have the physical stamina to stand there for 90 minutes; she looked Presidential, he looked like a guy about to *blow* a gasket.

Trump was Trump ... incoherent, nonsensical, repetitious, dishonest, bloviating and nauseating.

Clinton ... mostly stood there (perfectly for 90 minutes) and watched him fail.

Epically.

Clinton 1, Trump 0

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: imjack

Well her debate prep literally gets to quote Trump Narrative, while Hillary is only depicted as a Shrill lady that says 'smart things'.

Trump had no real way to reproduce her for practice.

Reproduce her? He wasn't even concerned with doing that.
Debate Prep? Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump Differ on That, Too

Mr. Trump, in turn, is approaching the debate like a Big Man on Campus who thinks his last-minute term paper will be dazzling simply because he wrote it.

He has paid only cursory attention to briefing materials. He has refused to use lecterns in mock debate sessions despite the urging of his advisers. He prefers spitballing ideas with his team rather than honing them into crisp, two-minute answers.

With Mrs. Clinton largely devoting the next four days to mock debate sessions and drills in New York, and Mr. Trump hunkering down only on Sunday, here is a scouting report on the two prospects and their training regimens for Monday’s face-off, according to advisers, allies and friends of both candidates.

Before talking about Trump's inability to combat Clinton, how about addressing Trump's #ty debate prep work first?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Maybe she kept a few topics written on her Ipad or paper or whatever, I know people do that when they make presentations just so they can cover everything?

link   

It find it bizarre that Hillary is considered less trustworthy than Trump despite Trump saying more lies during the campaign trail than any previous candidate and people like you think that Trump needs lower himself to get to Hillary's level on trustworthiness. Really shows how little the electorate cares about actual facts of the situation versus their personal narratives.

Not all lies are the same. Some matter, some really don't. Some show blatant incompetency at handling classified government documents, some don't. Some show a blatant lying to the American people about the cause of certain international events, some don't. Some show serious concern about the level of contempt someone has for the seriousness of congressional hearings, some don't. Some show that they'll do anything to obtain and hold on to political power, and some don't. (I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the point)

I agree that all politicians should be honest, but that's just a pipe dream and it's not reality. But when a career politician lies at the caliber that Clinton has for years--even decades--and people concern themselves more with whether or not Trump really was for or against the war in Iraq 15 years ago, or whether or not he calls Rosie O'Donnell a disgusting pig, or whether or not he makes false claims against Clinton (which are easily fact-checked if anyone pays attention) during the campaign, it really makes me wonder why such the distraction to be so overly dismissive of Hillary's lying past, yet so angry about Trump's current claims in his campaign.

People like me (I'd love to know your interpretation of the people that I'm like) are citing national polls that show Hillary being viewed as ridiculously untrustworthy, and it is supported by her abhorrent past of lying while actually being a First Lady and a Senator and a previous presidential candidate and a Secretary of State and a current presidential candidate. All of that accumulates and creates substantial concern, whereas Trump's lies are benign and almost comical in relation to Hillary's.

I don't know what type of person you think I am, but I don't like either candidate--but that said, I absolutely abhor Clinton for many reasons that have directly affected my family or for things that I find to be inexcusable. Trump has yet to really reach those levels for me, as he's a businessman trying to play a politician and is sucking at it, but I'm sure that he'll get there soon enough.

link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

"The penalty for violation is simple: “If a candidate uses a prop, note, or other writing or other tangible thing during a debate, the moderator must interrupt” to explain the violation. Still, as long they don’t write on them beforehand, each candidate is still allowed “the size, color, and type of blank paper each prefers” and “the type of pen or pencil that each prefers.”

Sooooo...back to the subject of this thread: If Hillary was using prepared notes (and Krazysh0t agreed she was) BUT Holt didn't call out the violation, then, yeah, Holt was not fair.

link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: Grambler

Holt then asked Trump 4 different attack questions, constantly following up to get more out of Trump on these. He asked Hillary one difficult question that was "Trump mentioned your emails, care to respond?" She responded for 15 seconds, he had no follow ups like he did with Trump.

Oh boo freaking hoo

Hillary was investigated by the FBI - and cleared. Now - until she's actually on trial - 15 seconds pretty much sums it up. I made a mistake - wouldn't do it again...

Live by the sword - die by the sword. Donny does nothing but put things out there - and never resolves them

When are you Trump supporters going to man up and realize that Trump has made himself a big question mark. Those aren't attack questions - they are simply questions. Things we have every right to hear an answer to

Honestly - what a bunch of wusses

If Trump had anything of substance to add to the debates - there would have been questions on those very things

You want a crucifixion? OK - that's not what a debate is for. This is supposed to be a display of thinking - and a chance to give the public something to actually consider

Instead we got the freaking Jerry Springer show - 100 plus million viewers - for this?

Who do you think showed best? You yourself have admitted who won

We deserve better than this - as a country of people who won't always agree - we still deserve better than this

Last night made a mockery of the whole process. I have always had a favorite going into a debate - but I never once came away from a debate feeling that I just watched a joke

I wish Hillary could have debated somebody worthy. Like her or not - she was cheated last night

Bias...Trump got exactly what he wanted - a focus on his own predilections and lack of substance

Trump did lose. No excuses from me.

But where were you when Hillary lost the commander and cheif forum, and all of her supporters and main stream media lap dogs attacked Matt Lauer for being to hard on her and soft on Trump?

Did you admonish Hillary and her supporters for whining that she got beat?

If Hillary is such a grizzled vet that is amazing, why go over 260 days without a press conference. So she avoids tough questions by the press, and avoids them in the debate.

We get it, you hate Trump. Fair enough. But why would you not want Hillary to be asked tough questions?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto

Maybe she kept a few topics written on her Ipad or paper or whatever, I know people do that when they make presentations just so they can cover everything?

A violation of the debate rules.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join