It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Lester Holt Unfair To Donald Trump During Debate?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Let's say he moderated fine.
I believe trump said so after the debate.
But.....

No questions about..
The Clinton foundation
Benghazi
E-mails

If trumps business bankruptcies are a valid topic so are the foundations financial handlings.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

The debate was exactly the platform promised. It was light, they're all going to be... it's never going to be the debates we actually need to be having and it sucks. However, that is what Americans overall seems to want and Trumps WWE style politics help deliver that need for instant gratification the same way junk food does over food that actually gives us nutrition.

That said, it was equally light and fluffy to Donald as it was to Hillary.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The emails were brought up.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I thought it was pretty fair. At first I thought he was being biased against Hillary, but then I THINK that Trumps constant interruptions, speaking out of turn, etc... may have edged Lester a bit. He's only human, I'd probably feel a little disrespected if I had been in his shoes. HOWEVER do I think that should mean taking up a retaliatory attitude? No. I think all in all, Mr. Holt did a fine job. The candidates themselves? Well not so much.

IMO.

-Alee

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: tothetenthpower

But, what kind of questions were asked? 75% of the debate was wasted on useless, unimportant stuff connected to Trump.

That's not Holt's fault. His questions were perfect. Trump rambled on and on about topics that were irrelevant to the questions. All Holt did was let him ramble, which is a criticism I have of Holt.

a reply to: Kali74

Of course Donald says Holt was unfair. EVERYONE is unfair to Donald. He's always the victim. He says his mic "was defective" as well. www.abovetopsecret.com... I heard every word and sniff and grunt and "wrong". I think his mic worked just fine. He will NEVER take responsibility for his own actions.

I think Lester Holt wasn't a great moderator for two reasons. One, when the time was up, he allowed Trump to silence him over and over again. He allowed Trump's off-topic rambling to go on and on (which was good for Hillary).

Secondly, I do think Holt went a little easy on Clinton. He challenged Trump about his support of the Iraq war, releasing his taxes, his birther fiasco and "stop and frisk", among other things... The only thing he asked Hillary about was her emails, and that was only when Trump brought it up. After she answered, he didn't challenge her on it, and of course, neither did Donald take the opportunity to do so. Donald missed a LOT of opportunities while he smugly nodded his head, sniffed, and drank water. (I could have a couple details wrong... I was in shock as I was watching the debate.)

Donald REALLY missed the applause, though! He is to blame for his loss. He will never admit that, though.
edit on 9/27/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

LESTER HOLT
Mr. Trump a lot of these are judgment questions. You had supported the war in iraq before the invasion.

DONALD TRUMP
I did not support the war in Iraq.
(fact check shows exactly what Trump says BUT they count it as a lie!?!)
That is a mainstream media nonsense put out by her because she frankly -- I think the best person in her campaign is mainstream media.

LESTER HOLT
My question is, since you supported it, why is your judgment….

DONALD TRUMP
I was against the war -- wait a minute, I was against the war in Iraq.

LESTER HOLT
The record shows otherwise.

DONALD TRUMP
The record shows that I am right. When I did an interview with Howard Stern, very likely first time anyone has asked me that, I said very lightly I don't know maybe who knows.

Essentially. I then did an interview with Neil Cavuto. We talked about the economy as more important. I then spoke to Sean Hannity which everyone refuses to call Sean Hannity. I had numerous conversation with Sean Hannity at Fox. And Sean Hannity said, and he called me the other day. And I spoke to him about it. He said you were totally against the war because he was for the war.

LESTER HOLT
Why is your judgment better than…

(you mean better than someone who voted for it!?!)

This exchange was utter BS!!! Holt was lying and pushing against Trump when Clinton is the one that voted for it!!!

That said Trump missed SOOOO many opportunities to bring out the big guns. That is on Trump, no one can force him to bring up legitimate problems with Clinton. Or make them discuss the things the American people really want to hear them talk about…

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Did the moderator ask hillary a question about her emails?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

They did. She flopped on it. But not before Trump made an ass out of himself over it.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Trump said hold did a great job.

money.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I think if Trump would have shut up for more than two seconds, Holt would have been able to drop some of the points he brought up into Hillary's lap but he wouldn't. She baited him the whole time and he's proven over and over again how easily triggered he is, he can't control himself. She knew when to defend herself and when to let an accusation go because he would drop it himself as he ranted away.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

money.cnn.com...

As I thought, nobody, not even Trump could really argue he did anything worth complaining about.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
The moderator didn't prepare the questions. That was answered right before the start of the debate.

Holt: The questions are mine and not been shared with the commission or the campaigns.

Transcript

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Did the moderator ask hillary a question about her emails?

Yes. Holt did after Trump brought them up which was a good debate tactic and then when he had her on the defense she turned it right back around to his taxes and he bit.

LESTER HOLT

He also raised the issue of your e-mails. Do you want to respond to that?
HILLARY CLINTON

I do. You know, I made my mistake using a private e-mail.
DONALD TRUMP

That's for sure.
HILLARY CLINTON

And if I had to do it over again I would obviously do it differently. But I'm not going to make any excuses. It was a mistake and I take responsibility for that.
LESTER HOLT

Mr. Trump?
DONALD TRUMP

That was more than a mistake. That was done purposely. That was not a mistake. That was done purposely. When you have your staff taking the Fifth Amendment, taking the fifth so they are not prosecuted, when you have the man that set up the illegal server taking the fifth, I think it’s disgraceful. And believe me, this country thinks it is this -- really thinks it is disgraceful also.

As far as my tax returns, you do not earn that much from tax returns.

NPR
edit on 9/27/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I don't think he was unfair to Trump, I just wish he would have been equally as hard on Hillary. He soft-balled her.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Well, he's just flip-flopped again, then...

Trump Criticizes Holt's "Unfair" Questions

Later, however, he told reporters Holt did "a great job" - but then in the following morning he spoke to Fox News by telephone and called Holt's questioning "unfair".

"I thought he was fine. I mean, nothing outstanding. He gave me very unfair questions at the end - the last three, four questions - but I'm not complaining about that," Trump said.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Second, I have provided a link of the transcript... please SHOW us how Holt was unfair.

Ok I will do that. But if you already went through it and didn't see the bias I don't know if I will change your mind. I will list all of the questions from Holt.

Question #1.
Starts with " why are you a better". Economic question to Hillary. (Totally fair question)

#2. Same question to Trump. (again fair)

#3 Holt asks Hillary if she would like to respond to Trump. (again fair)

#4. He ask Trump how he will make companies bring jobs back. (fair)

He asks Trump if he can interrupt, and then repeats the question. (totally fair)

#5 He asks Hillary to respond (fair)

He tells Trump to respnd quicckly (fair)

Tells Hillary she has 30 seconds to respond. (fair)

#6 Asks Trump about Tax plan (fair)

#7 Asks Hillary the same (fair)

#8 Asks Trump why he hasn't released his tax returns (This is the first attack question, and its directed at Trump.)

Follows up to say he can still legally release them.

Follows up to ask if its negotiable.

Asks Hillary to respond.

#9 Holt says "He also raised the issue of your e-mails. Do you want to respond to that? " (This will be the only difficult question asked of Hillary. Her response is about ten seconds, she says "I do. You know, I made my mistake using a private e-mail. And if I had to do it over again I would obviously do it differently. But I'm not going to make any excuses. It was a mistake and I take responsibility for that. ")

Holt says, "Mr. Trump?" Notice he doesn't aske her any follow ups like he did with Trumps tax return. Just a ten second blip.

#10 Asks Hillary about race relations. (fair)

#11 Asks Trump the same (fair)

Follows up to tell Trump stop and frisk was ruled unconstitutional.

Then says it is racial profiling. (Notice again how he attacks Trumps claims. This would be fine if he was doing it to Hillary also, which he had ample chance, yet he goes after only Trump.)

Asks Hillary to respond. (fair)

#12 Asks Hillary if she thinks police are racially biased (fair)

Asks Trump to respond

#13 Mentions they have been discussing race, asks Trump birther question. (attack question number two to Trump. So far this and the tax release question will take up huge parts of the debate, yet the only semi difficult question of Hillarys questions where he merely says Trump brought up emails care to respond took 15 seconds. Also notice when Holt asks Trump one of these difficult questions it is lengthy compared to how he mentioned Hillary's emails)

Follows up four times about this to Trump.

Asks khillary to respond

Asks Trump to respond. (Notice how long this section was, and it is just an attack on Trump.)

#14 Asks Hillary about cyber security> (fair)

#15 Asks Trump the same (fair)

Asks Hillary to respond

#16. Asks about ISIS homegrown terror to Donald (fair)

#17 Same to HIllary (fair)

Tells Donald to respond

#18 Tells Donald he supported the Iraq war before the invasion (attack #3 on Trump. Notice that this is the exact thing that all of the main stream meeting was bust Matt Luaer for, and Holt just happened to start off wth that statement)

Interupts three times to set the record straight on Donald.

Asks Hillary to respond. (again notice hhow much of the debate this took up. Not discussing real issues, just attacking Trump)

#19 Asks Trump about nuclear first use (fair)

#20 same to Hillary (fair)

has people respond etc.

#21 Asks Trump about questions if HIllary looks presidential. (Attack question #4 . Keep in mind he could have asked Hillary a very similar question about saying Trumps people were deploreable, but he didn't.. All of thee attacks are set up so Trump has to defend himself, and then Hillary can attack.)

Corrects the record on Trump saying this (Again notice how many times he intervens and tries to correct Trump, yet he doesn't do this to Clinton. I know people will say "well Trump was lying" but Hillary leid about not calling the TPP the gold standard, she lied about her emails, etc. and Holt never once questioned her.)

Has HIllary respond.

#22Will you support the other if elected to HIllary (fair)

#23Same to Trump (fair)

I used the same link as you for the transcript.

www.npr.org...

Thats it.

Four attack questions to Trump which took up a considerable amount of the debate tim (probably close to half) and a blip to hillary about emails that took 15 seconds.

Constant follow ups of Trump, none to Hillary.

I and many others thought Trump did well the first half hour of the debate. It was once he started to have these attack questions asked to him that he did poorer.

If you can't see how this was biased then don't know what to say.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Holt was not lying. Trump is on the record as supporting the war in Iraq he even admits to "lightly". Holt even tries to let him correct the record and move on to the second part of the question which was why is his judgement better than Hillary's but Trump couldn't let it go.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Holt surely didn't hold Hillary to the fire when she lied about not calling the TPP "The Gold Standard". That's for damn sure. Hillary lied as usual on that one!

Holt also interrupted Trump 41 times, Clinton 7.

Link

Holt asked Trump 6 follow up questions while asking Clinton Zero.

Link

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

He really didn't. He asked them both the same questions and anything the candidates brought up themselves Trump destroyed all chances of Holt putting any screws to Hillary with because he would stop having a tantrum.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Trump was not treated unfairly in the debate in my opinion, but of course he would have had issues with a moderator who actually moderated.

It's a little late to whine about the debate subject matter after agreeing on it.

The moderator was beyond patient with Trump's out of turn babbling.

As far as I could tell, there was nothing wrong with the microphone...

Trump got his ass handed to him fair and square like expected and it had nothing to do with anyone treating him fairly or no.

Trump was the one who wanted no moderator at all, and who knows how unhinged he would have become without anyone to reign him in?.

Trumplestiltskin, Trumplestiltskin, Trumplestiltskin....

....Still there....
edit on 27-9-2016 by MyHappyDogShiner because: Trumplestiltskin

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join