It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All cops are crooked...seriously

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   

quote: this is not limited to running from the law though. Folks, if you going 7 MPH over the speed limit, do you really think its right to have a 72 dollar ticket ?

I bet it has made you watch your speed since then, hasn't it? $72 is cheep for a valuable life lesson.

Point.
Fines for traffic violations and the like ARE REVENUE raisers ONLY. They do NOTHING to stop, slow or alter the death toll, or change the minds of speeding drivers.
Here in Australia atleast its been official Proven stamped and admitted that this is fact. Moreover police here have a duty to fill a quota daily weekly or monthly of various fines by way of traffic and other minor infringements.
Police not filling this quotas report to superiors and must explain why not.
Traffic police , parking police and the like have gone on strike and refused to hand out such tickets in protest at these quotas.
It may well be the case in other countrys aswell.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
creamsoda, you watch too much "cops".

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
While some policemen may not uphold their oaths properly, it is unfair to categorize the the entire police force as being crooked just because a few decided to be dishonorable!

On the most part, 95% of the police force put their lives on the line every time they put their uniform on and say good-bye to their families as they go off to work, not knowing if they'll ever come home.

To say that the entire police force is crooked is like saying that all Marines are bad because of the actions of a few, or all bikers are evil because a few decide they want to "live the fast life."

While some policemen may have a smart-aleck attitude, most of them have to put up with a bunch of smart-alecks on the street!

It just sounds to me that the author of this thread hates the police in general!

I wonder why?

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
No, there are good and bad cops. Granted I tend to always run into the bad ones....when we played out a lot, I was bothered a lot....I don't like crowds of people, and during breaks between sets I go outside away from the smoke and people.... I guess I just have "that" look...totally unfounded. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, I'm not a thief. I don't get in trouble, I'm law abiding....there are many cops that do have that bully mentality and/or power trip. When I was at court a while back the cops standing around talking were making some very rude and off handed comments. One of them said, "no, there's no innocent till your proven guilty here...your guilty as hell till your proven innocent" and then laughed at himself as if he had said something so very funny I found the whole thing distasteful!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leespitfire
Why would anyone want to be a cop?

For power.

Whether it be the power to do good, or to do bad.

But in the end......

Power corrupts absolutely.

Well i am glad to see that you know what every single police officer thinks....because if you were to be wrong about one officer, that would make your point false. Do you think some of them do it to have some sort of a job? I promise at least one has done it for the money....it's not much money but better than being homeless.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
and then laughed at himself as if he had said something so very funny I found the whole thing distasteful!

Come on Lady V, is it against your law for the police to have a sense of humor?

The police already know that a large portion of the population don't like them. Givce them a break.

If comments such as the one he made offends anyone, then the offended must be guilty!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kosmo Yagkoto

Do you think some of them do it to have some sort of a job? I promise at least one has done it for the money....it's not much money but better than being homeless.

The money is not that bad after just a few years you can make pretty good money. I think LA starts off at about $41,000 NY $35,000 plus there is always plenty of OT thats were you can really make some good money.

Ive also seen some cop jobs that pay $12,500 a month with full room and board but it is in Iraq.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Yeah here in Indiana I am guessing it is a little less....but still that isn't much compared to A. Rod fielding ground balls for like 25 million a year.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Now i think saying that all cops are corrupt and total A-holes is a little drastic, I know when i was younger and me and my buddies would get pulled over while heading to the beach, the cops were jerks and had no respect for us even though we weren't causing any trouble. as i've gotten older, police officers have been very respectful to me. never raising their voice or treating me in a condescending manner.

But in my neighborhood, i've seen them pushing around little 13yr old boys from my building , Pushing them against walls, and asking them over and over again "No your Lying YOur in a Fecken gang , What Feckin Gang are you with" I've known these boys and have had to interJect a couple of times, telling them that I know these kids and the only trouble they cause is when their soccer balls hits a car when thier playing in the street. I've had a couple give give me attitude just while i walk down the street , but i just roll my eyes.

Maybe their on a mission that i don't quite understand, but they shouldn't be shaking down 11-teen yr olds when I've called up and complained about drug houses in the neighborhood and nothing happens. Maybe they get jaded i don't know. but their are alot of good cops out there , and all cops take alot of Shiit. of course that doesn't mean they should be A-holes.

If you get a speeding ticket , and you were speeding by law you deserve it, but that doesn't mean that cops don't pull over people for a regular shake down. I've notice that if your black and look a certain way you will get F-ked with and if your Hispanic and you shave your head you get F-ked with. I don't think it will ever change , and i have some stories both good and bad about cops from my teens. so i can't quite saytheir are worthless and corrupt, cuase alot of them try their best , of course if i was just giving out tickets all day i guess i would be pretty jaded too

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
how soon we forget 9/11 wasn't just a cool conspiracy idea, real people died.

cops and fireman ran INTO the buildings as they were on fire. not to harrass anyone or because they were ordered to !!!! 14 people from my co died that day, I was in a meeting at 33rd /5th that morning, I see it a little differently than the avg ats poster. hopefully you're life won't ever be in danger where you need the blue to back you up.......

ungrateful punk !

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Cops claim that they treat everyone like a criminal becouse they don't know who is or is not-quote from a local pig here.
If that is true and acceptable then I feel all pigs are nazi power crazed criminals-since I can't tell who isn't I treat them all like they are-fair is fair

All pigs are criminals.
Every pig out there has commited crimes or seen other pigs commit crimes and never reported them-that is a crime-so all pigs are criminals.

Most all of them became pigs to have power to abuse people-they also consider themselves better than average people. This is clearly seen by the much high criminal penalties dealing with mouthing off to, hitting or killing a pig.

They are more than happy to murder at will and since you are dead-you cannot deny their lies-which are usually believed over the truth.

Think, why are pigs soooo worred about being video taped in action-they will take the video camera and distroy it-if they were doing a proper job-that would not be neccessary-in fact it should be looked on as a good thing to show what a good and fair job they do-what do they have to hide?

Pigs are nothing more than American Nazi's in action.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   

It just sounds to me that the author of this thread hates the police in general!

I wonder why?

I cannot stress enough that first of all, writing about the 72 dollar ticket and about my uncle being shot with a tazer has nothing to do with the cop mentality subject Im trying to focus on. Those were just set examples. I Understand that the guys bust their butt everyday and they lay their lifes on the line. But are they really protecting ? Yes, they are, in fact you are right, they are. But, they still have the mentality, the gun, the tazer, all parts of PROTECTING. Is 7 MPH over the limit really THAT bad ? Lets not focus on the speeding since THEY DO IT TO. Just because they have that green suit, and that green car. They are a whole new different person when they step into it. I dont hate the police in general, I just hate the corruptness most of them have. Note, I said most, not ALL. If I hated cops then ide hate my uncle.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I grew up in Chicago in the late 70's and 80's in a "cop" family. My Father, Grandfather, and two uncles were police officers there. Also my cousin who was just killed responding to an alarm when a drunk driver pulled out in front of him and left hime to die. Anyway, growing up I saw all factets of police life, from my idealistic Grandfather to my Father who would "confiscate" drugs from people and distribute them to other officers of his thinking.

Just as in any professional occupation, from the military, to nursing there are going to be different levels of intelligence, integrity, and what the person believes the position means.

Having (unfortunately) moved down here to FL. back in '89, UI have seen an entirely different type law enforcement. The State Police are the most professional, and saved my butt in a car crash. The Sherriff, has the "good 'ol boy" mentality. They are the ones hiding in the woods for speeders, riding your butt untill you speed up and then pulling you over, etc. I know some good deputys but it is a very political job and their actions seem driven by politics.

Aside from speeding tickets, (last in '98, knock on wood) I have never had any trouble with the cops. And I was quite the partier and did lots of regretable things. The cops do annoy me with their tactics and we make fun of them, but when it comes down to it, they are there to help when you need them. The only friends I have who "hate" the cops are the guys who are constantly doing something "illegal", and getting caught. The basically hate the cops for catching them. I guess if they were more careful they wouldnt have such problems.

So when I see people saying "all cops are bad.crooked.evil" I laugh the same way I would if a small child told me all dinosaurs look like Barney. No, the cops that pulled you over are "evil" because you did something to justify it. Whether thats looking suspicious, or having clouds of weed smoke pouring out of your car. If you are just driving you unasuming car minding your own business doing the speed limit and keeping your hands on the correct wheel locations, then you need to take some action. Other than that, quit whining about getting caught.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
People love to hate and critique cops until they need one...Most people (from what Ive noticed) who strongly dislike cops usually 1) Have been arrested 2) Had someone close arrested ...and they'll swear the cops who did it are corrupt and that themselves or the friend is innocent...usually about as innocent as OJ...I grew up liking cops...even after my brother was arrested...even after recieving a few tickets...I mean hell...I dont hate all dentists because they hurt my mouth...Over-generalizing is never called for when dealing with anything...Should I hate all Muslims because 19 retards attack MY CITY...no...I hate those individuals who did it...and anyone else involved...but I still get along just fine with my muslim NEXT DOOR neighbor...blind hate is too time consuming...wrong...and just a waste of life...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Nobody wants to see a cop until someone is in your house with a .45 ready to shoot you in the face. Then, they can’t get there fast enough. I’m sorry, but casting ALL law enforcement officers into the mold of bad/evil/crooked just doesn’t fly with me. While it is true that there will always be some bad apples, you can’t hold them as representative of every police officer in the entire country. That is just human nature, and you will find it no matter what profession you choose.

My father works for the MEO of the town I grew up in (about 600,000 people), and works with both the sheriff and local police on a daily basis, and knows many of them on a first-name basis. No, they are not perfect; they are human just like you and me. However, the majority of them do their best to go out everyday and keep society clean to the best of their ability, putting their lives on the line so that the ordinary person doesn’t have to live in fear or become a prisoner of their own home.

I hate getting pulled over as much as the next person. But the state/county pulled the resources together to install a working traffic grid and road system, and they have the right to enforce the rules on it. In all of the times I have been pulled over, I have only gotten one ticket, for doing 70 in a 60. I was actually doing 74, but the sheriff wrote it up as 70 because of the price hike after 10 MPH over. And I deserved it, I was breaking the law and got caught, simple as that.

It sounds to me like you don’t like the authority that the police represent. No one has to listen to authority figures, but everyone should be prepared to pay the price if they don’t. Whether it’s $72.00 dollars for a speeding tick or life in jail for homicide, chances are you know the consequence before you break the law. It just that nobody likes getting caught.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Cops are generally smarter then the people that they have to deal with on a day in and day out basis.

Too funny obviously you haven't met the d's in my neighborhood.They're as dumb as shyt.

I understand we shouldn't categorize the cops but how come we are categorized?.If we get stereotyped how come they can't?Are they untouchable?

Creamsoda I am the one that started all this with my thread.I see how it branched off kinda quick.If you peep my thread you can see how heated it got at times so don't get yourself worked up over it.People that never experienced these situations dont know how it is so we should just leave it at that.We shouldn't try to convince each other any more because it it truly a lost cause.I experienced and will continue to experience many negative situations to believe cops are good.I truly believe 90% are scumbags and nobody knock me for that because you are not changing my mind.

Another thing how come the people that start these threads are automatically accused of being criminals in not so many words?Isnt that small minded to think like that?With thoughts like no wonder people think all cops are a$$holes.

Oh and one more thing I dont need cops to do anything for me since they dont anyway.If you read my thread I mention how i was robbed on the same block as the police precinct in front of a building that has cameras that feed into the police station.The precinct couldn't have been more than 100 ft. away.So I do not need them I take care of things myself using street justice and if they dont like that they can kiss my ass.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In my experience:
I have had A LOT of run-in's with the cops. I used to get into head-butting matches with them (sometimes literally). I carried around an attitude much like yours. Then one day, I met a cool cop and (for once) I wasn't a d**k to him. Now, if I run into a cop I show a little respect (not brown-nosing) and usually get away without a ticket. I think that the cops are constantly running into a-holes (like you and me), and that puts them "on gaurd." Also, there are obviously some a-hole cops out there as well, but not ALL of them.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hmm may I reply to this. I know that all cops arent bad, on to antoher matter though, its the new deputys who come in that are the bad ones. I would guess to say that the officers and the troopers are okay, but the Deputy Sherrifs sure do have it bad when it comes to authority. They like to run it. But then again, the way authority is run in the south and the north are two different factors. I live in the south and I know that authority is defenantly one thing everybody is hanging over. Much less than in the north. I guess it is because of where I live that most of the bad ones are. Around here in the Pensacola area, you come across ALOT of smartass harrassing cops. So it might not be as bad for you folks.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Cops come off as jerks because they have to be. When you walk up to a car you never know what your going to find. They need to be in control of the situation. That means THEY ask the questions and you answer them. Its how the law works. I don't particulary care for cops myself, but whenever I do get pulled over, I play by the rules. Only have gotten one ticket. Received a few warnings though.

Heres the best piece of advice a copever gave me: "When you get pulled over, and the cop asks you if you know how fast you were going, NEVER say "No". They will give you a ticket for sure. Its suppose to help remind you to check your speed. When they ask you that, tell em the truth and 9 times out of 10 they will give you a warning and let ya go. Become a smart-a-s with them and you get the ticket...simple

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Unfortunately the behavior of the "bad" cops is much more noticeable than the behavior of the "good" cops. Your only interaction with cops appears to have been when you were doing something wrong, thus your cop experience was "tainted" by this. I know that law enforecement invites an overly large amount of people who have control issues. I have known too many police officers to believe otherwise. I once knew a sheriff's auxilliary who worked in my drafting office. (Auxilliarys are like deputies in training, they do ride alongs and are not allowed to carry a gun and do not get paid.) He wanted to be a cop REAL BAD. One day our supervisor got a call that this person was being considered for a job in Hilliard, Ohio as a police officer and they wanted to know about him. Immediately we started taking bets as to how long it would be before some poor black person was gunned down in Hilliard by cops. Fortunately he did not get the cop job. Because of the incredible nationwide shortage of qualified candidates for the law enforcement positions we are seeing UNQUALIFIED candidates filling these positions simply because they must be filled by SOMEBODY.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join