It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queenslanders report bright lights in sky followed by tremor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

www.news.com.au... 8535cb5b35eef7f

HUNDREDS of Queenslanders have reported seeing “a flash of light” in the sky followed by a “tremor” last night.
Police received multiple calls from residents in the Gladstone area, in central Queensland, reporting their houses shaking in what was initially believed to be an earthquake.
But Geoscience Australia has since officially ruled out an earthquake.
There were reports as far south as the Sunshine Coast, with one Nambour man saying he heard a loud noise and a flash of light just before 8.30pm.
Lanky Jones said the light was very bright and it appeared as though an object was burning up in the sky.
“It sounded a lot like a sonic boom, which would make sense if something was travelling too fast into the atmosphere,” he said.
“I don’t know what it was, whether a meteorite or piece of space junk. I didn’t feel the tremor but the sound suggests something came down to Earth.
“It’s definitely not something you see every day.”
Higgins Storm Chasing crew said they received reports of a bright flash of light by hundreds of people.

“The light was seen as far south as Hervey Bay and as far north as Yepoon with a tremor being felt upon impact over the general Gladstone area and Boyne Island,” the group said in a Facebook post.

So, my fellow friends. Someone out there must follow what enters the atmosphere on ATS? Anything else reported further to this at all??.................................anyone?
edit on 26-9-2016 by CaptainBeno because: text

edit on 26-9-2016 by CaptainBeno because: link fixed

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Just a run of the mill fireball, yeah?

Only ever seen one myself well camping outside Longreach (Queensland) once... it totally blew my mind at the time.

Would have probably actually believed it was alien related, if it wasn't as simple as googling it, to find out it was a totally normal (although rather rare) occurrence.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
“The light was seen as far south as Hervey Bay and as far north as Yepoon with a tremor being felt upon impact over the general Gladstone area and Boyne Island,” the group said in a Facebook post.

It may not have impacted, but instead "airburst" -- and the shaking (tremor-like) was caused by the shock wave of an air, similar to the Chelyabinsk event in 2013. The Chelyabinsk airburst had more than 25X the energy of the Hiroshima bomb, and exploded about 18 miles above the ground.

Maybe some pieces of this potential meteor did survive to the ground as meteorites, but they would not have impacted with any large force. Most of the noticeable shock tremors could have been the airburst.

I suppose they ruled out an earthquake because it didn't match the seismic signatures of an earthquake? I was thinking that maybe the flashes were "earthquake lights", which may or may not be a real phenomenon. Some people who think earthquake lights may be real think it may due to to the high energy of rock stresses associated with an earthquake event. I have no idea if there is any validity to this alleged phenomenon, but as I said, it seems they ruled out earthquake, anyway.

So I say a meteor airburst could be a potential explanation.

edit on 2016-9-26 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I'm in Hervey Bay, saw the light, no tremor though.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

One way to tell, when the video comes out, the shadow from the light is moving on the ground. And you're right about airburst and 'sounds'. The Russian meteor was awesome...

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

Awesome! I'm in WA, although my parents live in HB!

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I think everyones parents live here big fella lol, they call it Gods Waiting Room...

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Anyone who saw the light can they explain the details better. Color shape etc. That would help.

Could have been a meteor. But there are fast moving lights in the US inventory that occasionally may be in that area. Some do boom.

new topics

top topics

join