It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA discovers water 'spewing' on Jupiter moon Europa

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
news.sky.com...

www.nasa.gov...

NASA has discovered what is believed to be plumes of water spewing from the surface of Jupiter's moon, Europa.

Astronomers made the discovery using the Hubble Space Telescope.

The observation means missions to Europa may be able to take samples from its ocean without having to drill through miles of ice, the US space agency said during a live announcement on Monday.

Amazing news !

Well there you have it , can of worms open !

This has got to be one of the biggest discoveries for a while
edit on 26-9-2016 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

That's the thing with water...it cannot be compressed all that well.

It would make an awful lot of sense if Jupiters fist of gravity managed to provoke a liquid eruption from within the icy shell that Europa shows to us.

Exciting time to be alive!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Shooting 125 miles from its surface, jeeze, Can you imagine the pressure involved to shoot a jet of water 125 miles? There goes any hope of finding life on europa....

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm interested in the temperature and the harbouring of all sorts of life ,
They must be plenty of heat at its core .

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ColaTesla

That's one hundred and twenty five miles in totally different gravity than we are dealing with here on earth though.

As for not finding life there, just based on the pressure involved, there are things living in the deepest parts of the ocean, here on this very planet, which are existing at pressures that would squeeze you into a fine paste! Not all is as it seems!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Just to be clear...She says in the video that it's water "vapor" that is pluming.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColaTesla
There goes any hope of finding life on europa....

How's that? If nothing else, there's always the possibility of extremophiles, right?

We have no comprehension of what kinds of environments life might be capable of surviving in, within our universe...

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
Just to be clear...She says in the video that it's water "vapor" that is pluming.

And what a neat video aswell .
Vapor or niagra , still very interesting

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Shooting 125 miles from its surface, jeeze, Can you imagine the pressure involved to shoot a jet of water 125 miles? There goes any hope of finding life on europa....

With a little more than 1/10th of earths gravity and nearly no atmospheric pressure, it's probably not all that much pressure.

The question for me would be... where's the pressure coming from? Could the ice surface act much like our crust, forcing plates of ice under the surface?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
we already know enceladus is doing the exact same thing and knew this major announcment would be a damp squid,ok its another moon showing water but think after the enceladus discovery there was always every chance of other icy moons just being the exact same.

this is just another major announcement that 99% of people will have no interest in when they wake up in the morning.

me? i,m fascinated in it all but just about everyone i know it won,t even register.

sad but true

edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I hope the probe has a fishing pole on it, the suspense is killing me. I want to be one of the first ones to eat that fish too, I think it will stay frozen for the return trip. Hopefully it does not get freezer burned or in the hands of scientist who will use the whole fish for tests, not including any taste testing at all.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I agree sparky31 , maybe it will just speed things up a bit , but more and more evidence makes for a bright future among the stars

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Water vapor? Hmmm

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
NASA does have a tendency to call all liquid , water. Makes for glorious headlines.Then they kinda back off later.
Time will tell.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Denoli
oh i agree but its not making people i,m trying to convice that they should be interested in this type of thing.
honestly everyone i know couldn,t care less,to be honest i think even if nasa announced tomorrow that they had evidence live existed else where for 95% of people i know it would be a story for an hour or two and they would lose interest.

they really just don,t care.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This is old news, what the hell NASA?
From 2013,

Jupiter's icy moon Europa may erupt with fleeting plumes of water more than 20 times the height of Mt. Everest, scientists say.

They were spotted by comparing recent and older images of Europa taken by the Hubble Space Telescope.

www.space.com...

edit on 1America/Chicago31Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:31:29 -050026700000016 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Life is found at the deepest depths of Earth's oceans where the pressure exceeds 1000X normal atmospheric pressures.

As for why this is exciting news, that's because a mission to analyze the waters of Europa for signs of life or signs of habitability (or maybe return a sample of it to earth for detailed study) just got much easier. Now there is no need to figure out how a space probe would get to that water locked under kilometers of frozen ice...

...Instead, maybe the water comes to the probe.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Must be that mandela thingy because I thought this was already known as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
This is old news, what the hell NASA?
From 2013,

Jupiter's icy moon Europa may erupt with fleeting plumes of water more than 20 times the height of Mt. Everest, scientists say.

They were spotted by comparing recent and older images of Europa taken by the Hubble Space Telescope.

www.space.com...

Those findings in 2013 were very tentative, and came from detecting water's spectral signature in aurora created by interaction of Europa with Jupiter's magnetic field. The new findings are more certain, as now the water plumes have been directly observed.

This video explains it very well: www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
Must be that mandela thingy because I thought this was already known as well.

I've noticed that this is what happens pretty much all the time:

NASA: "We detected certain spectral signatures in Jupiter's aurora that may hint at the presence of water plumes on Europa."
Public: "NASA discovered water plumes on Europa, hurrah!"

NASA: "We actually directly photographed what may be water plumes on Europa."
Public: "Huh? Didn't you anounce this discovery in 2013?"

The public seem to read a lot of their own meaning into NASA's anouncements, which is how a lot of disappointment and confusion is created.
edit on 27-9-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join