It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The libertarian's Gambit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
So I know this topic might be a little dated, and if your like done that been there I apologize. But after a little hiatus and some lurking I am back and now feel comfortable to authorize some threads.

Throughout this whole political process I was rooting for Trump not that he would win. But that he would break the republican party in the fact that the republicans would have to support someone who is not a go along to get along Neo Con. ( like Ted Cruz just showed he was. outsider yeah right) And the other fact that I was hoping that Trump would break the party is because it would show that nobody supports their lack of new ideas, and played out ideology. And very few people are actually excited to be republicans anymore.

I thought this would be great for the Libertarian movement. which is slowly but surely in my opinion gaining momentum. With The republicans losing yet another election I was hoping that the devastation that would be wrought there would be a vacuum and we libertarians could step into that void an offer the country fresh ideas. Much how people felt after the 2012 election.

Even though Gary Johnson is no Ron Paul and doesn't have that excitement factor to him. I still believe that libertarianisim can make some waves and we can put some death nails into the coffin of this Walking Dead of a Republican Party. That has nothing in it but money and old men.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Small hiccup: Gary Johnson isn't a libertarian. he doubled New Mexico's budget while tripling their debt. He's pro-UN. He supports forcing businesses to cater to customer's orders that run in opposition to the values of the business owner. He's pro gun control, pro increased federal funding for medical coverage, planned parenthood, and social programs. Pro EPA. He doesn't believe in border security. If this is libertarianism now, then the libertarian party is a joke.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Agree with burdman above, there are no good "choices" this year and as he pointed out, Johnson is not a good representative of the Libertarian Party.

That having been said, hes still getting my vote.

Although I do believe in Libertarian principles, I'm just as tired of this 2 Party stranglehold on our nation.

If Johnson/LP can get 5% of the vote, it means matching funds in the next election and a national stage.

Baby steps but its a beginning.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

Even though Gary Johnson is no Ron Paul and doesn't have that excitement factor to him. I still believe that libertarianisim can make some waves and we can put some death nails into the coffin of this Walking Dead of a Republican Party. That has nothing in it but money and old men.

What waves? The party can't even nominate a real Libertarian. If the only reason you can find to vote Libertarian is to break the Republican Party, you're doing it wrong. That's negative reasoning. Gary Johnson is an embarrassment, and if you ARE Libertarian, you ought to be even more embarrassed. The party is not going to "make waves" until they have something to make waves with. So far, the Libertarian message does not resonate with a sufficient number of people to make much of a difference.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Why would they nominate such a non-libertarian as Johnson? Would it not have been better to nominate someone more of Libertarian values than him? I just don't get it at all.

And the Greens. Who the hell is Jill Stein. Even with a big name like Nader, the Greens could not get more than like 6% of the vote.

We need to face this reality, just as Trump has. The US voters no longer,if ever that is, vote for sound issues. They vote for NAMES and FACES and CELEBRITY. Trump knows this and to that end he has been branding himself for a couple of decades. He plasters his name on everything he buys or builds. He stared in a hit, long running TV show. He knows what the American voter wants. ENTERTAINMENT.

Does Clinton realize this? She does because that is what she has capitalized her career on, her NAME. But can she entertain like Trump can? Nope.

So, knowing this, the entertainment factor in American voting, how is it that neither of these third parties has nominated someone with any of those attributes. Neither has a NAME. Neither has an easily recognizable face. And neither is any kind of celebrity. And neither is an entertainer.

If a third party is to gain stature, to gain enough in the polls to get into the debates, or to get enough recognition, they need to nominate a well know celebrity that everyone already knows and wants to see on TV. Once the 'face' and the 'name' and the ''celebrity' has been established, then those parties could nominate someone with very firm political cred within that party to hold it to the values of that party. Both Libertarian and Green. But nope. Both nominated totally forgettable candidates. Both parties, just like the Dems and Reps, are bunk and not moving with the times.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Yeah I wasnt meaning this as a post to support Gary Johnson as I said he is no Ron Paul, I just want Libertarian idea to get out in the mainstream and for people to actually be talking about it as a viable option.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I disagree Ron Paul was the start on advancing Libertarian Ideas while remaining a Republican. If it was not for him I might not know what Libertarian ideas are. I think going forward we just need a charismatic figure head. I think that will happen as I think a lot of youth want Social freedom mixed with fiscal responsibility.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

So what your saying is we should nominate Kanye West ?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Nope.

Just nope.

Our 2 party system is what we're stuck with. The majority of US citizens don't care about changing that paradigm. Just look at the last few decades. Libertarians always think "this is the year, man!" but It's never the year. Just not gonna happen.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Agree with burdman above, there are no good "choices" this year and as he pointed out, Johnson is not a good representative of the Libertarian Party.

That having been said, hes still getting my vote.

Although I do believe in Libertarian principles, I'm just as tired of this 2 Party stranglehold on our nation.

If Johnson/LP can get 5% of the vote, it means matching funds in the next election and a national stage.

Baby steps but its a beginning.

I agree, Johnson is not a very good libertarian but ill still vote for him if i bother voting. Hes running centrist with a few libertarian leanings. Not perfect but would still take that over the alternative.

new topics

top topics

join