It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Should Obama Pardon Snowden?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
So this topic is inspired by a Washington Post article. www.washingtonpost.com... 016/09/20/09c0bf80-7e9e-11e6-8d0c-fb6c00c90481_story.html?utm_term=.29a3d12902d8

So we all know that as Presidents make there exits that they leave a trail of pardons in their wake. I was just thinking that if President Obama did indeed pardon Snowden I would think differently of president Obama. And this would be in a positive way. But I doubt this will happen since Obama seems to be all about building his legacy.

I guess another side question to ask Are they any other candidates out there that the ATS community thinks will receive a Pardon??

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Will receive? Hillary. Himself.

Should receive? Snowden. Manning.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

If he pardoned both Snowden and Chelsea Manning, I think he would be a hero in hindsight 50 years from now, in a time when this era will look barbaric and evil.

It would be the perfect punctuation for his legacy.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Should he? Yes. Will he? Hell no. The Obama administration hates whistle blowers, passionately. He's more likely to have Snowden assassinated. I suspect they were trying to drive Bradley/Chelsea Manning to suicide, and they almost succeeded until bad publicity about Manning's treatment forced them to back down.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I would be ok with a pardon but I would be even more ok with Snowden getting a trial. If he gets a pardon the whole issue just goes away but what's really at issue here is the way we as a nation treat whistleblowers. Protections for those people, when it's justified can only be improved through precedent and we don't get that with a trial.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Snowden should come back to the US for a fair trial.

Snowden should get sentenced to 20 years in a federal prison.

Snowden should do 10 of those 20 years, and then walk.

Fair.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Thats a good point I think for a lot of cases that Trial and process factor has gone away. Like with the Dallas Shooter. Robo-Justice.

BUt we do need to have trials for people and not just the Trial of Public/media opinion.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
Snowden should come back to the US for a fair trial.

Snowden should get sentenced to 20 years in a federal prison.

Snowden should do 10 of those 20 years, and then walk.

Fair.

Will never happen, but what I can see happening is once everyone in the current administration and appointed by the current administration is gone. I see Snowden coming back to the US as a free man.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Only if found guilty. That is what the trial is supposed to do. Decide between guilt or innocence.

He's a whistleblower, supposedly... Allow him to defend himself in open court, before a jury of his peers. That's a jury I might even be willing to sit on. It'd surely be interesting.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightFire

I see Snowden coming back to the US as a free man.

It will never happen.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Yes.
I doubt he will but he should.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

He's a whistleblower, supposedly... Allow him to defend himself in open court, before a jury of his peers.

Exactly!

The very idea of a pardon is a so insulting to our justice system.

If his case was so airtight that a pardon was inevitable, he would have already come back to the US on his own terms.

All of this pardon talk is just publicity for Oliver Stone's new movie.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Personally, I think Snowden saw a chance to make a name for himself. Not a great deal more than that. I know many on ATS will think differently, but then I'm not into the celebrity cult thing. I think the constant whisper of more important stuff to come is just playing to the house and if he had it, it's either being used by his housekeepers, was discarded as not as important as he hoped, or never really existed. I don't think he fits in the whistle blower mould, he's more a wannabee Bourne.

I'm not sure what he has reported that is truly what one could be considered whistle blowing and what is more around 'look how clever I am, getting a job as a contractor and stealing lots of information that I can then blow out there with little or no regards for the consequences'.

Manning, I think she may have felt she was whistle blowing, but I'm truly not aware of if this was more due to her own set of morals and mental state at the time allowing her to decide what was the moral high ground. Regardless, I think a trial was the fair thing to do.

Would/should a pardon be granted - for either of them? Depends, neither could return to anything like the job they had and in stark truth, neither of them showed serious technical prowess in what they did. If you want to be first in line to have your copy of their book signed by them, or participate in an ask me anything on ATS, then I know you want them pardoned, but for what exactly is something that would be hard for you to truly define.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
You have to be convicted of something before you can be pardoned. Has Snowden been convicted?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

You have to be convicted of something before you can be pardoned. Has Snowden been convicted?

Nixon was pardoned by Ford before he was convicted.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I've always wondered how that was done.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightFire

NO the oligarch power structure will never allow a blemish to there NSA program to return. Because after all spying on American's good privacy bad.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yes Obama should pardon them both, but Snowden deserves his day in court first.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Any thing to trick that traitor into returning to America where he can have justice visited upon him...

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

That's a good point Snowden has not been convicted, even though if tried here in the states I am sure he will get snowed.

Should there be a trial with the international court since this was a crime against the U.S. government supposedly??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join