It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abington police disarm man trying to commit 'suicide by cop'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Since ATS has a large segment of people that blame police for everything thought i would post a story that has a different outcome.

www.philly.com...

If anything this article reinforces what hopefully everyone sees...

1. Different people react to different scenarios differently.
2. Not all scenarios present the same opportunities.
3. All of the training in the world doesnt always help out given that the variables in an equation can be different.

"They were about to pat him down when he reached into left front pocket and pulled out a fully loaded .38-caliber revolver,
nstantly, the sergeant grabbed the man's arm to try and gain control of the gun and a struggle ensued, he said.

At five-feet-eleven inches and 260 pounds, the man was a match for the two physically fit officers, said Molloy.

The sergeant, an 11-year-veteran, made a "split second" decision to aim the weapon into an vacant garage and pulled the trigger, emptying the gun of all its rounds."

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Did he survive because the police missed? Only joking.

Police in the US have to put up with people running about with guns, so should be applauded when they do actually manage to disarm without injury.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA
Nice to see police acting like police

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Geez, they save the ones that want to die and shoot the ones that don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that this guy is OK and fair play to the cops for taking good care of him. But surely this shows there's a lot of deaths out there that could be avoided?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MongolianPaellaFish

Geez, they save the ones that want to die and shoot the ones that don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that this guy is OK and fair play to the cops for taking good care of him. But surely this shows there's a lot of deaths out there that could be avoided?

The problem is there is no way to control for the variables. Some people are going to get killed. No two situations are the exact same. It is unavoidable. To be frank, given the millions of arrests that are made annually along with the number of firearms in the US, I'm surprised the deaths by cop are not higher.

There are some situations where a cop may be able to diffuse it and the guy lives. There are other situations where the perp is going to get shot. No two cops are the same. No two situations are the same. No two perps are the same.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
if i could guess the race of the perp, i would probably go with non-minority.

but i could be wrong. until theres more on this.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Lucky for him that he had a veteran cop within arms reach. At the same time, the cop was stupid in the act. This could have been very bad for him had someone been in that garage. Would have been better to point it at the ground.

top topics

join