It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some tips from the ATS community!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
So I am going to Italy in 2 years. Why 2 years? because I am studying the language and want to be fluent in it when I go so that way I can communicate with my family over there without stumbling around.

I have several questions for anyone that has ever been.

1) What was your favorite spot to eat?
2) Where is the best/safest night life?
3) If you have been recently, what places are inhabited by the refugees that I need to avoid?
4) What to avoid in general?
5) If you are fluent in Italian, would you be apposed to being my pen pal while I learn so that I may be able to pick it up a little faster?

Thanks in advance!

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

Dont be an american in Europe, best advice..

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang
So I am not allowed to visit my family? Thanks for the advice (sarcasm)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Dont be an american in Europe, best advice..

I have been an American in Europe many times and have always been well-treated. Italy was an especially nice place and I NEVER felt I was either in danger or in any way discriminated against as an American. One restaurant built on the old Roman wall downtown was especially nice to us. We ate their several times as it was close to our hotel, and when we left the owner gave us two bottles of wine to take back with us. Florence is a must-see. The Renaissance drips from every corner and every museum there.

Are there things to avoid? Sure. The Roma (gypsies) will steal from you if they can. The modus operandi is to stake out the street territories and carry a drugged baby with you to beg. Keep your distance from them. And the guys trying to sell you "Prada" brand purses on the square will tell you they retail for over $1000, which the real ones do, but you can buy them for $15 apiece.

On the whole, though, there's a great deal of the history of Western Civilization right there. Everyone speaks passable English, but if you did Italian I would imagine you'd have an even better time than we did. Just don't try to emulate Amanda Knox and you should be fine.
edit on 9/25/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
That comment was epic. I would be mad at you for making me spit out my scotch if it wasn't for the fact that it was hilarious.
edit on 25-9-2016 by SomeDumbBroad because: Because Im an idiot and I forgot how to ATS

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

2 years is a great deal of time to explore Europe! Don't limit yourself to Italy, there are many other countries very nearby that you can travel by train to. I had great fun in Spain- you can stay in renovated castles called "Paradores", and enjoy incredible parties all night long (that's why they nap in the afternoon during the hottest part of the day).

It will be some of the best times of your life- take LOTS of photos, and share with us on ATS!
Have fun!

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad
So I am going to Italy in 2 years. Why 2 years? because I am studying the language and want to be fluent in it when I go so that way I can communicate with my family over there without stumbling around.

I have several questions for anyone that has ever been.

1) What was your favorite spot to eat?
2) Where is the best/safest night life?
3) If you have been recently, what places are inhabited by the refugees that I need to avoid?
4) What to avoid in general?
5) If you are fluent in Italian, would you be apposed to being my pen pal while I learn so that I may be able to pick it up a little faster?

Thanks in advance!

Italy is an entire country, not a small town or a single city (some of your questions seem to assume that it is a small place).

Italian provincial food and seafood is wonderful. Nearly every restaurant and cafe will have wonderful dishes. Eat sparingly of the very best. Find out the 'specialty dish' of each region you stay in and give it a go.

Give the seaside villages a go. Nice places. Do the usual 'touristy' things but also take some time outside the schedule. If you are young & fit, perhaps go for a 'backpacker' tour. You could also look into WWOOF as a way to really 'get into' the country.

You will likely find that the average Italian is happier, more cultured and probably more affluent than the average American.

My suggestion is that you don't isolate yourself trying to avoid the media hype, but instead, enjoy the difference, the people and the experience.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Italy is a large place......give us a clue as to whereabouts you'll be going and I might be able to help!
Spent a lot of time in Italy I love the place (well certain bits )

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Europe is not quite as vast as the US is. Try to make sure you get out to see some of it beyond Italy as wonderful as Italy would be to see. I'm sure you could likely see quite a few other places much more easily that you can jaunt across a few states here.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport
I am staying for 3 weeks and plan on visiting everything I can! We will be moving places every 3 days or so by train and mia famiglia lives in the Catanzaro region. That's part of why I am passionate about learning the language. I want to communicate with the locals and explore off the beaten path! Hit me with anything you got, girl!

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This trip is solely about finding my roots. I only want to explore Italy and Sicily for now.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Oh I am sorry for the miscommunication. I am going in 2 years. I am visiting for 3 weeks.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

edit on 25-9-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

you will find its quite a poor area down south generally. I spend my time around Sorrento/Salerno and sometimes Scicily. Its hot dry and the people are the best! Northern Italians Milan & Lakes area are quite stuck up and no where near as friendly. Scicily is an odd one....still very much under mafia control, the people are quiet suspicious and it isn't that geared up for tourists.

If you can travel around in your 3 weeks I'd recommend not missing Pompeii and Herculaneum, Sorrento for lovely food and Bari for beaches (very rare down south). The South is very much farming area and the best organic produce is grown there...I've never experienced tomatoes like I did in Italy! lol

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thank you for pointing out the Hiking Tour!!!! I really want to do that now. I am trying to visit everything which is why anything goes on this point. I have 2 years to soak up the knowledge. Next year I will start buying tour books and study them like a bible. I need anything anyone has!

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Thank you! This is all amazing information!. I am sure I will be fascinated by anything in Italy. I have always been obsessed with Italian history, particularly Roman Mythology. I even plan on getting a tattoo there of some art work so I can take this trip back with me.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Florence, San Gimignano, Venice, Cinque Terra, Amalfi, Pompei, Rome (maybe Ravenna if you like Byzantine history)

Tourist musts, but that's what you gotta do!

Eat anything everywhere there are no Europe tourist buses at, you can't go wrong.
Florence I have a couple of favorites for fine dining either CIBRÈO or ENOTECA PINCHIORRI. But you will find dozens of wonderful restaurants. Eat Gelato everywhere.

I slightly disagree with the suggestion of Bari for beaches. Italy is not for a beach vacay for me personally. If you have time to duck next door to Croatia, you will have 1000 islands to choose from and Dubrovnik you would be heartbroken if you miss it.

Good luck!
Have fun.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

edit on 25-9-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Thank you! Any places to avoid?

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Naples....its a hell hole!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join