It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeding the Ants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I'm not entirely sure where to put this one. I've been kind of watching this guys channel over the course of the last week. He's an ant keeper, and I never really knew people kept ants on this scale. It's been interesting to watch him talk about and maintain his colonies, but his pride and joy is his fire ant colony.

It's clear from his narration that his primary motivation and fascination is in watching the behaviors of his ants and he cares about them and keeping him, so even though he gets numerous requests to "make colonies fight" and things like that he doesn't and won't. However, he did cave in finally to giving his fire ant colony some live prey because they are predatory ants and do hunt and kill in the wild. Usually, they get killed prey.

This video shows him feeding his colony three different sizes of cockroach to the colony to illustrate both how effective they are at predation and why he gives them killed prey. What happens with the last one is the shocking thing, and then his thoughts on the subject turn philosophical regarding the nature of humans and playing god and our place in nature.

I thought it was powerful enough and introspective enough that some of you might find some worth in it.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Cool video, thanks for sharing.

Now that you've identified the infestation....

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Giant robot ants will pour your homes with liquid aluminium in the name of science, one day maybe.

Off to watch the video...
edit on 25-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Cool video. The female's last action before death was quite interesting.

I believe it was likely reflex though and not what the narrator attributed it to.

Thanks for the watch!

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Sure it was reflex, but the reflex is exactly what he attributed it too. Cockroaches are natural survivors. The stress of her death causes the birth, but the natural side effect is that it does give her offspring that chance.

You see this same thing in other creatures, even humans. Depending on how well equipped the offspring are for immediate independence, it increases that chance for survival of the species.

This is the same thing. Nature equips her own to survive, even if it is in the harshest manner possible sometimes.
edit on 25-9-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
That's very interesting!

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Cool video, thanks for sharing.

Now that you've identified the infestation....

I wish someone would come do that at our complex. We've got a massive infestation on the entire property of carpenter ants. They have a very painful sting, and we have to vacuum our bed and pets' bedding every night...they colonize inside the walls and crawl out all over the place. Sealant, caulk, wood filler...nothing keeps them out. They eat right through it. Poison does nothing. I have diatomaceous earth sprinkled along every single baseboard in my apartment and even that only deters them for a little while. If they did aluminum casts here, they'd look like a freaking coral reef or something.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Have you tried Amdro(TM)? I use it in my shop and the house garage and it works well.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Jeeze, those will eat a property from the ground up, not cool.

Borax and sugar mixed and heated with h20, then soak cotton balls in it, and set on beer caps.
-works like crazy.

Lucky you don't have fireants, they're all over here. Mean little f'ers.

I try my best to spread the torture and destruction of all fireants via art, I am convinced they would do the same.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
If aliens ever landed on Earth and wanted to speak top the dominant species they would talk to the ants. There are way, way more ants than humans and they live in a more peaceful and harmonious existence. Just more useless information you never wanted to know.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
If aliens ever landed on Earth and wanted to speak top the dominant species they would talk to the ants. There are way, way more ants than humans and they live in a more peaceful and harmonious existence. Just more useless information you never wanted to know.

I'm not so sure about that.

Colonies war amongst themselves just like human societies and don't you dare get caught inside an ant colonies' turf in you're edible. Some of them are sort of brutal like the fire ants, and weaver ants will simply draw and quarter their prey by pulling it apart.

Ants will also enslave one another.
edit on 25-9-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Yeah but, there are more of them than us. I'm off to bed now, bye bye.

edit on 25-9-2016 by crayzeed because: (no reason given)

top topics

join