It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have this weird idea....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I have this weird idea....

But I'm serious about this.... Or at least trying it. Starting possibly this spring of 2017.

It goes like this. I don't have much money or anything but I still want to get out and experience all I can while I can. I'm not young anymore, in my 40's. So I feel like after a long career, (failed business) I'm now semi retired.

So what I'm considering is this. Buy a cheap van. Like most likely a awd safari or astro van. Camperize it. Then use that to get around. Then go to my neighboring province here in canada that has 'endless forests" and find some really remote place to build a bunker. Like build a nice bunker that I could use as sort of a get away "summer retreat" / SHTF go to place.

meanwhile using my camper van to explore the country and see different things. I'm fortunate enough that I can work a bit on the road. So that base is semi covered. But I feel like life is way too short. Like why sit around stuck in the city if you can be getting out there and seeing a bit of the world while you still can.

I just think "why not?" Like what do I have to lose? I can always come back here to the city if I hate it out there that much. But I just think I need a real change. And I want to build an off grid place. That I can use for about half the year. My plan is to then for the cold months fly to somewhere warm and and do the snowbird thing. Then come back and just stay in my bunker.

The sad reality of my situation is that where I am I get free rent. But the fact is that it could change at any moment. Like at most this might go on for another handful of years if I'm super lucky but I kind of doubt it. Like I could be forced to leave and out on my own as soon as next year.

So my thought is this would be a cost effective way to prepare for it. Like right now, I have no where to go. If anything was to happen to my situation here I'd be SOL literally overnight.

My only challenge is that I'd be forced to leave my friends and family. But in all honesty there's only like 2 or 3 relationships that I have any concerns over anyway. The rest are not that important anymore.

What are your thoughts on this? is this a good idea or stupid???

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Sounds like you're a lucky man for having the option.. I'd say go for it!

Also, can I join?

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato

there is no need to let go of your friends and family. i think you can have very good relations even over distance and seeing them only on occasions, specially if they are good friends you care about.

you might possibly find other friends also who are likeminded.

i do wish you good luck.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Me too can I join. Start a convoy and a new community but everyone has to own a gun, yeah a gun or how about two automatic pistols and an ak47 assault rifle.
I'm joking..........
Wishing you luck a many happy times on your new adventure.
edit on 25-9-2016 by Cloudbuster because: Spelling duh

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Star and flag NOT for your brains

But for your guts

Read books called missing 411

You better be a very security mindset type of person if you hope to survive

You better have guns, you better get the license, they won't give you license if you tell them the truth on why you need it

Bear spray too
Bow and arrows

Do you know anything about survival food storage, what about medicine ?

You got guts

Brains ? Not sure

Missing 411

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

First, good luck with your endeavours!

Yet, think of small details like: Lack of women - this can be overcome. Getting bored - it happens. Getting frustrated - this definitely happens. How easy is for you to loose the civilization even if it just for few months... and would you be able physically to do all the jobs necessary?

My personal choice would be to buy small property really remote, so my thoughts can rest when I go there. Well, actually I own a similar property, just not so distant from city(mine is 8 miles from nearest big village) and it works for me. I feel great there, same like in the deep woods, juts less wood splitting. Even if SHTF, I bet, me and my family are gonna be safe there. Cheers, and take care
edit on 25-9-2016 by Argentbenign because: xxx-zombie attack

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I prefer to try new things in small steps. Want to survive off the grid? Take a week or two vacation or even a month if you can and see how you like it. I would not abandon family or friends. They are not easily replaced. If you are not providing assistance to anyone, then all you need to do is stay in contact. That's easy with phone calls.

I just spent a few days at the beach on vacation. I'm tired of the noise and crowds. The shower head in the hotel was so low, I had to squat down and lean over to wash my head. I did not enjoy parking on the 7th or 8th floor of a parking garage every single day and watching out for every single person or vehicle in the way. To think that I once thought living in such a city at the beach would be nice seems crazy to me now. I stayed long enough after just a few days to know that's not what I want. My smaller hometown with a tall shower and parking on ground level and only a small amount of traffic seems so nice now.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I did read it's better to travel while young because you aren't likely to enjoy it as much in your 60's or 70's. Without much money, I'm not sure about the financing or land buying part of your plan. Know any friends you could visit for a week or two to get some experience with living off the grid? Sounds like an adventure but I have no clue how to do it without money to travel or money to buy land and tools.
edit on 25/9/16 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Van down by the river...

Guts you got....

Reading and study up on how to live of the land or your time in the woods will be short.. well your body will be there...

Also, this land your going to build a bunker on , do YOU own it? If not you may have more issue then you think.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

First of all, if you are building a bunker, make sure that it is above sea level, preferably quite a distance above sea level, and also preferably have the entrance to it built into an incline, with the door facing away from the summit of that incline. This reduces the problem of surface flooding choking your front door. Further to that, make the entrance corridor in such a way that you can collapse it in the event that your location is discovered by nefarious persons.

Another thing to consider is depth. Generally speaking, the best way to attain depth, without creating a slope down which water might cascade in the event of a freak rain or overmuch meltwater run off, is to build into a mountainside.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I'm starting next year, this isn't a dress rehearsal! I want to live, 30years in a union, only to retire to Florida and 4yeas in get diagnosed with some deadly crap?!? Seen it to many times my friend, I'm out!! By the way, my failed business happened 3 years ago during what I'm told was the greatest economy ever, under Obama

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign

First, good luck with your endeavours!

Yet, think of small details like: Lack of women - this can be overcome.

..........really. "small detail" hmmmm.....smh.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Amazing idea! I'd love to do that myself though I'm still just 22 😂✌🏼️

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
That is always a good back-up plan.

Good luck, and good travels.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Ya some good advice. I might refine my approach a bit depending on various other factors. I mean really one other option might just be to go do this for 1 to 3 months each summer. One challenge is that our summers are only 3months long. After that before and after (spring and fall) it's already getting cold at night. So you might at most have an extra month on both ends. But after that you have to have a heat source. That's one reason I'm really tired of Canada. That's why there's not many people that live here for such a big area. Like it seems great but in reality the winters often last easily 6 months. That's why so many people are snowbirds here. That's looking more and more like a great option for winter. I might tinker with this idea though. The first step might be to get a camper van. I just wish that vans got better gas mileage. I guess there are a few that are getting a bit better miage but those are new and expensive. I guess the other thing too is that like on paper and in your head a dream seems "amazing" but in real life it's a lot harder and problematic too. But then again life is short right, you really got to get out there and try while you can. Like life might not end, but the opportunity to go and do something could easily evaporate too just based on a change in your life circumstance.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I think it's a great idea. Just don't rush into it head first, just go for weekends first, then try a full week, then after some time maybe a month...you got the idea. This way you can gain some very valuable experience, get to know yourself some more, what your weaknesses and strenghts are, what your needs will be on the long run, etc.
Don't go unprepared. Read a lot. Practice even more. If possible, get a firearm and learn how to use it. Really. Pepper spray and electroshock weapons are nice to have around, too, just in case. Also, I'd like to have by my side a big and loyal guard dog, such as a german shepherd.
edit on 26/9/2016 by Raven_Heart because: (no reason given)

top topics

join