It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pemmican

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hey, I ran across these on YouTube. There's a whole series on 18th Century cooking, and this set is about making pemmican which is a great survival food. If done correctly, this stuff can last a long time, is highly nutritious, and works well for a variety of purposes, not least of which would be survival storage.

Anyhow, I thought this series of videos was interesting from several angles, and I thought some people might be able to make use of them.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Interesting. I just saw this same video in my suggested youtube videos about an hour ago when I went on there. I didn't watch it then but maybe I will now. lol

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Thing is that according to this, making pemmican is really easy and would be cheaper than buying survival food with a good shelf life of potentially years.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
There are a number of methods of meat preservation. Large quantities of salt are pretty much required. Not that that is a bad thing.

But the opinions on the epicurean attributes would be a matter of opinion.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Not always. You can use fat too. It's the water activity that's most important to retarding bacterial growth. Honey doesn't need salt, for example; peanut butter doesn't large quantities either.

There is the Moroccan food khlea which is dried meat preserved in the cooking oil and will last for up to two years when packed in that oil.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Still tastes like old meat.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Sweet I just bookmarked his channel thanks. I made hard tack about a year ago or so and it still looks the same as when I made it. No mold or anything. I will have to try this one.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Heh, if you're making something like this, it isn't for the taste so much as it is for the preservative quality. You can eat it by itself or you cook it into something else.

It's kind of like the dried beef of it's day. I'm not running out to by packages of that just for the culinary value, either.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Yeah, I know.
But really, I like the taste of some old meat.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I can eat the sort of pemmican you do with blackberries or cranberries, but for the most part, pemmican is last ditch survival food.

Sort of like pinole. If you combine pinole and pemmican, it's at least close to something nutritious, if not particularly tasty.

Old thread about pemmican

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   

you know I'll tell you what? Not all is as it seems on youtube videos. Like I've made hard tack on many occasions and it DOESN'T LAST. Like it lasts all of a week before it gets mold. So all these supposed foods that last years and years are very suspect. Unless there's some real trick to it all??? But ya if you could make it and actually figure out how to make it last then it might be worth trying.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

There are many different recipes for it. I advise you find a book pre-50s which explains it in detail. However in my opinion stacking walnuts, peanuts and rice is better option

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpatato

I figured if we did any, we'd vacuum seal it. And it wouldn't be a huge volume thing either. We aren't hard core preppers, but we do have a bit of a stock laid in, a sealed drum or two of some stuff just in case we run into an emergency that lasts longer than the average.

If something hard core hit, like the total break down of society, we'd be screwed, but would I really want to survive that?

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Yes,you want to be here thats why you have a couple of barrels sealed...double your supply every year until you have 7 years worth of food for your entire family.Maybe some of them want to live but dont see the storm clouds building.

top topics

join