It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the best way to post PDF documents?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I have several PDF documents I would like to post to the membership. Is there a way to post them WITHIN ATS itself, or must I post them elsewhere and post a link? I have some on scribd, but that has turned into a pay site and I want to make these freely available. Thanks for any help.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Only way I know is to save them as an image file then upload them as you would a picture.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Is there a way to post them WITHIN ATS itself, or must I post them elsewhere and post a link?

Pretty much the second one. Takes up to much memory space to embed or archive them here directly. That costs the site money.

TPTB did away with Mega Upload. If theres some highlights you could link, bringing some external content, what you think about the passages, etc.

I search PDF if I know what I am looking for.

Otherwise, I'm being asked to read a whole book and 'tell what I think".

Isn't the modern library system fun?

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I have several PDF documents I would like to post to the membership. Is there a way to post them WITHIN ATS itself, or must I post them elsewhere and post a link? I have some on scribd, but that has turned into a pay site and I want to make these freely available. Thanks for any help.

If you are not the source of the .pdf files, you probably need to think about copyright. Are you allowed to re-post the files?

For instance, if the .pdf files are 'owned' by Scribd and they have moved to a paid model, wouldn't you be infringing on their business to post them for free?

I'm pretty sure that Scrib'd would do searches for copyright material that they own and could, potentially, take legal action (one would hope that they would be more reasonable).

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

You could use Google Drive instead of Scribd (if you have a Google account) then share the link like THIS
edit on 9242016 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: schuyler

If you are not the source of the .pdf files, you probably need to think about copyright. Are you allowed to re-post the files?

For instance, if the .pdf files are 'owned' by Scribd and they have moved to a paid model, wouldn't you be infringing on their business to post them for free?

I am the author of the files. I own the copyright. Thanks for watching out for me though. Scribd is making money off my contributions after sucking them in posing as a "free" site.

originally posted by: seattlerat

You could use Google Drive instead of Scribd (if you have a Google account) then share the link like THIS

I believe that's the answer. Thank you.
edit on 9/24/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Nice idea though a reply to: stosh64

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I think the best method would be the combination of turning the pdf into an image file for upload here and the google drive link for the actual pdf. That way you could have the representation of the file in the thread, lets people see it sort of thing, and the link to the pdf below or whatever format you prefer.

Seems the way to go, good luck.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
You can get a free account on Mega.nz, they give 50 GB for any kind of file you want (I think).

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Update. I have been successful with google docs and will try the nz site as well. Thanks. I've tried two PDF to image converters so far. They both break the doc down into separate pages, one image per page. But it does work. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

top topics

join