It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Vetoes Bill to Let 9/11 Families Sue Saudi Arabia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
www.nbcnews.com...

President Barack Obama on Friday vetoed controversial legislation aimed at helping the families of the victims of the September 11th attacks sue Saudi Arabia — a move that sets up an emotionally-charged, election year showdown between an outgoing commander-in-chief and members of his party who supported the bill.

The measure, which was unanimously passed by both the House and Senate, enables the families of victims of the September 11th attacks to sue Saudi Arabia if that country is found legally liable for helping support the deadliest terrorist acts on U.S. soil. Fifteen of the 19 terrorists were Saudi and that nation's leaders have previously opposed the legislation and denied involvement.

The White House is strongly opposed to the legislation out of concerns it will open the floodgates and leave the U.S. vulnerable to similar suits. A bipartisan group of lawmakers backed the 9/11 families bill.

The president, in a statement on explaining the veto on Friday, said he has "deep sympathy for the families of the victims of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 (9/11), who have suffered grievously. I also have a deep appreciation of these families' desire to pursue justice and am strongly committed to assisting them in their efforts."

What a piece of garbage and not a great way to leave office, despite having a high approval rating or not. Why would he do this? Is it conspiracy laden, like lizards and stuff, or are they truly afraid the US will be sued for all of their misdoings in the Middle East and abroad? Question is, people can't sue the US? I have no idea but is this a legit concern? It baffles me.

Funny enough though, we can sue Iran and find them guilty for 9/11 but apparently the House of Saud is off the table because oil, money, corruption, greed?

Trump, if he's smart, will attack Clinton and Dems relentlessly for this!

Also, not surprisingly, this happened today, Friday.
edit on 23-9-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
What a POS

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I could be wrong about this I havent read the bill, but wouldnt this open up our own service men and women for lawsuits? Ive heard this agument. If so it could be a big can of worms if other countries could sue our military.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

They don't want any chance of The Clinton Cabal™ taking any heat over trying to oust Assad in Syria at Benjamin Nuttinbutayahoo's request...

OR...

The opium trade in Afghanistan...

OR...

Pend it until all or most of the "survivors" die out and then do a token apology at the end...

typical gov't bologna...

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: coop039

They should be able to if we're flying planes into their buildings.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Well I guess it would open up Obama and company to law suits for all of their wrongful deaths via drone strikes...he wouldn't want lose any of his ill gotten booty, if the sandle gets on the other foot.

Eta not servicemen just Obammy the Nobel peace prize winner dontcha know
edit on 23-9-2016 by BlueJacket because: Eta

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Was wondering when someone was a gonna post this.

I mentioned it in my timeline.

The Saudi's are deplorable!
edit on 23-9-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well it was a silly bill to begin with. Why should US citizens be able to sue a *country*? And how on earth would they enforce any such lawsuit? Will the US military have to invade any country that doesnt pay up?

If any other country in the world approved sueing America, people would laugh. Literally laugh their asses off.

The term "only in America" is very apt here I guess...

link   

I have no idea but was this ever a valid concern to begin with? In this case, the hasn't the House of Saud been linked to the 9/11 terrorists? I mean, you know, wahhabism started and took over Saudi Arabia giving the world modern Islamic terrorism so it only makes sense we can sue the House of Saud, especially if we're sueing Iran for 9/11 (which is ridiculous!).

link   
Traitor. He is a dog on the lead of the murderous oil sheiks.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Well, the House of Saud is very powerful and America LOVES it's oil companies, among many others who are all the elite. So cabal confirmed for sure. Iran either isn't playing along with them or they are, playing the role of the fall guy. Either way, shenanigans is afoot and I'm damn sick of it!

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
He has to protect his masters, and the President will either veto a vote for a change in legislation or will lobby a for a change in legislation.

This was Bush's effort in 2002, setting up his protection for his unlawful invasion of Iraq n 2003.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Saudi Arabia.. buddies with the US. Also like to behead people in public and violate human rights all the time. But we look the other way because of US friendship with them.

Reminds me of this video - a member posted it a few days ago but I forget who, otherwise I would give them credit

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It's proof Obama supports terrorism and backs terrorists over US citizens.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Does it though? I mean, if so then good because so many politicians make such terrible decisions and hold zero accountability. Hell, most time they don't accept responsibility and usually blame it on the other party. The 9/11 tragedy could have been avoided but wasn't. At the end of the day, no one was convicted, arrested, investigated, or even fired. Nope, a lot of people got promotions. What does that tell you about his gov't?

So if Americans can sue the House of Saud means our own politicians can be sued then I"M ALL FOR IT! They need to know they can't just go and start an unjust war without having any consequences.

F them!

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Tbh, I thought for sure conservative ATS'er's known for attacking Obama and Clinton would have beaten me to the punch.

Timeline? Facebook?

F the House of Saud!

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I agree. When it comes down to it he did it for party, all of whom are controlled by their donors, masters, string pullers, lobbyists, which most definitely includes foreign elites. Who they didn't do it for, America.

link   
I think this is very much an international legal issue, though I'm sure the Saudis were in his ear about it too. We live in a world of nation states. These nation states interact with each other on the nation state level. Allowing individuals to interact on the level of nation states subverts the authority of all nation states over citizens.

Nation states interact via disputes with war or trade sanctions. The US has not declared war or proxy war on Saudi Arabia, and therefor will not allow it's citizens to do so.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, but this is how things work. If you follow out a lawsuit against a foreign government out to it's logical conclusion, if the plaintiffs win against the foreign state, who is going to make them pay up? This brings it back to one's own state having to either inflict trade sanctions or direct war to do so, thus giving citizens the power of the state.

My personal opinion is that the Saudi government is the only one that should have been toppled since WWII. Obama should have gone after the Saudi's in the place of the 911 families as a matter of national concern. It's his duty to do so I think in this case.
edit on 23-9-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Then so do the Bush family.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It's delightful to know Obama values the finances of a tyrannical inbred family that rules the worst, most brutal and backwards country on Earth over his own citizens.

Hopefully Congress unite in getting this past Obama.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join