It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Distinguishing Fantasy from Reality

page: 1

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 11:57 AM
How does one know to distinguish hallucinations from reality?

I mean, let's say that a person is hallucinating, but their hallucinations are "non-bizarre". That is: they aren't seeing anything overly unusual, like supernatural stuff. No demons, ghosts, aliens, or anything like that. But this afflicted person is definitely hallucinating.

Let's say that this person is out in public, walking among a large crowd of people. They meet a stranger, have a short conversation, and then part ways. Shortly after the conversation ends and this afflicted person turns then begins walking away, the afflicted person overhears their old conversation partner quietly mutter: "...# you." Maybe as the afflicted person was turning, they saw in the corner of their eye that their new acquaintance was smirking. But the afflicted person can't be certain because they weren't looking directly at that other person.

Maybe that other person may have said: "thank you", but the mind misinterpreted it as: "# you." Maybe that other person was talking to somebody else, about somebody else. Maybe that other person didn't say anything at all, and it was a pure fabrication of the mind. How can the afflicted person be certain that they weren't hallucinating?

What if this afflicted person has a somewhat unusual experience with no supernatural, paranormal, and/or conspiracy theory elements to it. This unusual experience was a full-blown psychotic episode, complete with hallucinations affecting all of the senses: visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, and gustatory hallucinations... the afflicted person assumes that this experience really happened in the physical world, in reality, among other real people who experienced the same exact things so that the general consensus is something that the afflicted person and everyone else involved can agree on.

So this afflicted person goes about their day assuming that this experience really happened. But then they start meeting with other people and talking to them, and those other people suddenly start saying things that contradict what the afflicted person experienced.

How can the afflicted person be certain that they didn't simply hallucinate the entire experience?
edit on 23-9-2016 by Quasiscientist because: typo

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 11:59 AM
a reply to: Quasiscientist

In my opinion you can never be 100% certain of anything. I just try to discern truth to the best of my ability and go with it.
edit on 9/23/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:20 PM
The mind can make almost anything reality to that individuals mind. IT almost goes back to what Aristotle was talking about with perceptions. what makes the color blue? why is blue not called green?

Also what is truth?? how do we define truth for everyone. I know we have our own individual truths but what is the truth for everyone.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 02:13 PM

Surrender to the majority. You, (sorry the "afflicted person", I say you for short keeping) may keep the "to me it was x that happened", but in order to stay sane (or functioning) you have to accept what the other people present at the experience tell you. Especially if it's more than one.
Reality is the intersection of our perception bubbles, if your bubble is the only one containing event x, it's not part of reality.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 02:36 PM

what makes the color blue?
a reply to: American-philosopher

Photons I believe (after watching Brian Cox the Cern physicists and Tv presenter of such things)
Blue is the most active type scattering everywhere
It's physical make up is different to other colours
Green has it's own properties and is said to be a left over colour

But I am no scientist and have probably bastardised the truth
I understand colour from an artist's point of view is all
But much is now known of why Blue occurs ...... But Aristotle asked a very imporatant question for sure

edit on 23-9-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 02:42 PM

I used to be so insecure I was verging on delusion, too. (no offense)

Nowadays, if people are nice to my face then that's enough for me. Everyone is always talking sh-t about one another behind one another's backs, and that's ok. Part of the human condition.

The way you walk could be the butt of someone else's joke for a day.

But even if they're muttering curses under their breath at you 1% of the time, 99% of the time they're still being polite and normal to your face. That means that they don't really have anything truly substantial to confront you with, or else they would. Since they have to do it behind your back or as you're turning away, they know it's really nothing worth mentioning. Like, everyone walks funny. You can always turn it back on them, and say, "you walk funny." So it's stupid. So hang onto what's going on 99% of the time. Let go of the weird 1% human behavior. Even if it's just you hallucinating, it's part of that 1% weirdness... it's small in comparison to the whole.

Step away from it all and look at it like a science project, try to get objective as possible. Ask yourself all the right questions (which I think you are doing, anyway, so good job OP). At least that's what I do. It's about weighing the evidence.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 10:22 PM
Ummm. Believing in Politicians is believing in something that is not real, those people who believe in them need to go see a psychiatrist.

Mild halucinations happen in everyone's life, we tend to see what we expect to see lots of times. We see things in a way that we believe is real too. Our memories should not always be trusted, ten people can see the same thing and when called upon to say what the saw, most can't agree.

new topics

top topics