It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Federal Bill Seeks First Native American Land Grab in 100 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Even as the Dakota Access Pipeline protest in Standing Rock has galvanized Native Americans across the U.S., a bill entered in the U.S. House of Representatives by Utah Republican congressmen Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz seeks to take 100,000 acres of Ute tribal lands and hand them over to oil and mining companies. Will Bears Ears be the site of the next standoff?

The proposed bill also seeks to remove protection from 18 million acres of land in eastern Utah and prevent President Obama from designating the Bears Ears area a national monument.

Adjoining Canyonlands National Park and the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Bears Ears is an unprotected culturally significant region that contains more than 100,000 Native American archeological sites. These sacred sites are subject to continual looting and desecration. More than a dozen serious looting cases were reported between May 2014 and April 2015.

Federal Bill Seeks First Native American Land Grab in 100 Years

Caught this today on the NSA's voluntary self-reporting I mean ah social media site and thought I should put it up here for all of you to consider. It's not being reported much but does appear to be a legitimate story.

Further down the article says:

The area is rich in mining deposits including uranium and potash with some deposits of tar sands present as well. Oil and gas companies are eyeing the area for drilling.

Federal government taking land for thinly veiled mining interests...gosh, this sure seems like a familiar theme. I know I've seen some stories about similar types of occurrences involving the federal government having an interest in land that possesses extensive mineral resources somewhere, sometime recently.

What was that all about anyway? I seem to remember some backroom dealings were alluded to in that situation. I wonder if we will find a similar situation here, with powerful interests poised behind the scenes to move in on those resources?

I wouldn't know. Perhaps there are other interests at work here that might escape the casual reader. Perhaps it's a bunk story, or the bill will be killed before it reaches a vote. I did a little searching for more sources, and more 'MSM' type stories, but not a lot out there right now. My sources are not the best I know, but I thought it should be posted anyhow. A little older than two days, but I hadn't seen it posted here yet so I thought the Breaking Alternative News forum was the place to put this. Discuss.
www.rt.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

It is utterly disgusting the behavoir of the corrupt greedy criminals!

The timing of this proposal is such a slap in the face to the Native Nation that it boggles the mind. Given the unity that we are seeing in North Dakota, one would think that there is no way they would try and go for further acts of Genocide, for this is what these "land grabs" amount to.

Honestly it is as if TPTB are attempting to orchestrate as much civil chaos as possible. I do believe this will come back to bite them in the ass though, the Natives are smart enough to know that this can not be handled with violence, what is needed is livestream coverage and national outrage.

If there is any cause that all Americans need to rally behind it is the defense of the Native Americans. The time has long since come to attempt to right the wrongs of our past and hopefully this is what we will see.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

As if genocide against Native Americans wasn't enough, it's like rubbing it in now

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Jesus christ.

What a bunch of retards.

No asshats. Just no. STAAP.

You are TERRIBLE at governance.

Take the idea back and shut the hell up.

Taking native American land.....seriously?

F tards.

Natives, shoot the first to try. Seriously. Or take them prisoner. Whatever you can live with. The entire country "got you", and most of the world too.

I mean really.

Is this a joke? Who is driving this thing?

edit on 9 23 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This areticle got it all wrong. One it's not Indian land it is owned by the federal govt. Utah wants to take over the area from the feds because they want to sell land rights to oil and gas industry. Currently it is under federal protection the bill being written would turn this land over to utah. This area is absolutely beautiful it's known as the juniper mesas and sunset-red canyons. If this is turned over to state management it will be filled with roads and drilling rigs.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
Sort of. Funny though, it's getting a bit close to what the Bundites were bitching about. Feds having too much damned control over "their" land.

But it's pretty hard to parse anything that says it involves taking of Indian lands. It's pretty much about existing federal land. It could be there, but I couldn't find it.
robbishop.house.gov...

edit on 9/23/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
100 years?

Is that the democrat's "new math?"

The greatest environmentalist of all time pulled strings to give sacred native american land to his oil industry buddies back in the nineties - a mere 20 years ago.

Al Gore's Oligarchy

The history of the Gore family and Occidental Petroleum have been intertwined for generations. Al Gore Sr. was such a loyal political ally that Occidental’s founder and longtime CEO, Armand Hammer, liked to say that he had Gore "in my back pocket." When Gore Sr. left the Senate in 1970, Hammer gave him a half a million dollar a year job at an Occidental subsidiary and a seat on the company’s board of directors. Money from Occidental and its subsidiaries formed the basis of the Gore family fortune.

But it is not only the land of Indigenous Colombians that Occidental is drilling against the wishes of the residents and indigenous inhabitants. In late 1997, Al Gore supported the federal government’s three and a half billion dollar sale of the Elk Hills oil field in Bakersfield, California, to Occidental Petroleum. This was the largest privatization of federal property in US history. Occidental’s plans to drill for oil in Elk Hills will disturb traditional burial sites for the Yokuts indigenous peoples of southern California. At stake are at least 100 ancient sites in the Buena Vista Lake region where Yokuts peoples once lived.

www.democracynow.org...

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Maybe they could try a little harder to get the Native Americans upset? If all these groups like BLM, AIM, etc. organized under one anti-federal government banner, there might just be an armed revolution at our door step.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Hey can't leave out the Native indians to the list that Obama and cabal of cronies are screwing over!

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

The rep form Utah has been trying to influence the Boise Boys from Idaho to give up its federal lands also. Native Idahoans have not forgotten how North Idaho was poisoned with lead by mining. It took lots of federal money and about 40 years to clean up.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
the eskimos must be bricking it, i think they're the only ones left unmolested now.
inuits?
doubt they can get wifi in an igloo

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

I first heard about this after the Oregon Standoff in an article asking if it would be the next standoff, and I've been following it since. This proposed bill is something they've been working on for a while, but according to your source's source (Telesur) the bill has not yet been formally presented in Congress. It's all part of a much bigger controversy, with several tribes asking Obama to declare the Bears Ears area a national monument, but there's even controversy within the tribes about that.

But there's been a lot of shenanigans going on.

A couple more names to watch in this is Rep Ken Ivory and the American Lands Council, which is dedicated to giving states control/ownership of federal lands.... and no doubt doling it out among the highest corporate bidders.

A couple articles with more information on the background of this:

Bears Ears: Why another proposed monument is dividing Utahns

A visit by the secretary of the Interior is reigniting a long-running debate between native American tribes and rural residents about how the land should be managed.

Forged Federal Document Complicates A Growing Fight Over National Monument Designation In Utah

An escalating battle over Bears Ears pits state lawmakers against environmental groups, and splits Native Americans.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Jesus christ.

What a bunch of retards.

No asshats. Just no. STAAP.

You are TERRIBLE at governance.

Take the idea back and shut the hell up.

Taking native American land.....seriously?

F tards.

Natives, shoot the first to try. Seriously. Or take them prisoner. Whatever you can live with. The entire country "got you", and most of the world too.

I mean really.

Is this a joke? Who is driving this thing?

Republicans

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The worst thing congress could do is give this federal land to the state. If they do corporations will move in to what I'd basically a national treasure. I went hiking through there years ago it's incredible. Guess that's why I was following the fight. The feds need to keep this land under BLM management. The state is just looking at how much money they can make on mineral rights. And oil wells popping up in this area would be a crime.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

States shouldn't have to fight the Fed's to use their own damn land. Also, this is not Indian land so the title is false. Hoax bin time.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

This better not go through. It could actually be something that triggers a lot of people to take a stand and do something

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I thought boarders were just lines on a map. Those lines on a map are racist and we should try to remove them. Hillary is campaigning on ignoring the US boarder, heck they even had people that ignored US boarders at the Democratic Convention and they got load cheers.

Is this a case of indoctrination or hypocrisy, regarding boarders?

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

We use Federal land every weekend. No fight there. And the taking of Federal Land effects natives because of access to rivers for fishing and hunting.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

You're right, that is really spectacular land up there and it would be a crying shame if it were ruined by mining or drilling or in any way.

But I don't trust the Feds to properly manage it any better than the states would.... because they aren't. I'd actually much prefer to see a joint stewardship with shared authority between states/feds/citizens. Right now, it's a huge complicated mess, and pretty much no one is happy with how the feds are managing the land. Unfortunately, they often play the different parties against each other -- i.e., environmentalists against the ranchers and vice versa. The solar farm in Ivanpah is a good example of how the feds screw over everyone while working sweetheart deals with their corporate buddies.

Our national parks are indeed national treasures to be maintained; but I also think as much federally owned land as possible should be released directly to the people via a new homesteading program. I don't know exactly how much that should be, or where or how, but would have to be restricted to private individuals, include restrictions on land use and requirements for appropriate developments on the land, etc. With land and home prices as high as they are, the government has no business owning and controlling so much land. Nor is it right that the feds may own only 5% of land in one state, and up to 80% of land in another state. In a market based on supply and demand, providing greater supply for that demand would go a long way towards making home ownership affordable for many, and benefit us all in the process.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBadCabbie

Federal government taking land for thinly veiled mining interests...gosh, this sure seems like a familiar theme. I know I've seen some stories about similar types of occurrences involving the federal government having an interest in land that possesses extensive mineral resources somewhere, sometime recently.

Not to topic-drift too much, but the story of allowing our Western states into the U.S.A. is a story of the "federal government taking land for thinly veiled mining interests" including logging. This is why ID, MT, UT, NV, NM, AZ, CO have so much federal "owned" land - admission to the union was premised on the territorial legislature agreeing to cede these portions of their States to federal ownership.

Now back to your original topic.
edit on 23-9-2016 by LanceCorvette because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join