It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Triggered: Why someone who is affected can't hear it anymore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Edit: Seriously, dear reader please actually read it to the end before you reply. EditEnd.

I have the feeling, because of some reactions in the other thread, this is necessary to write.
I also have the feeling the OP does not have bad intentions but most posters don't get the whole picture.

Seldom it's words that trigger something. Mostly it's movements, smells, similar situations. Simple life things like someone clapping behind your ear or fast movements in your peripheral vision. No one can know that and thus the whole trigger-word debate is a bit over the top, too. I can't expect others to be careful all the time because they could trigger me or another one. I just expect others to take the damn thing serious and not label everyone who suffers under such conditions a "snowflake" or SJW.

And with this, I carefully blame the people who push this "trigger"-thing because it's so "hyped". I lack the verbs to express it but someone has to do it. The people who push this have NO CLUE what they are talking about and if they were really affected, they would know better! I'm fed up and I can't hear or read the word "trigger" anymore.

We need to deal with it and not cotton-wrapped. Those who suffer from trauma and can be "triggered" need to learn to cope with it, that's one of the first things you learn. Because up to the breakdown, if it does not come instantly, you don't know what's up. You are in passive denial, meaning you don't remember the situation but you feel the effects on you mind and shortly afterwards, your body. For it to get better you need to deal with it, not hide from it.

Thank you for taking time reading this carefully.
edit on 22-9-2016 by verschickter because: Added emphasis for fast shooting members like bob.

edit on 22-9-2016 by verschickter because: Added top edit

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I might make a thread about this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

You were one of the members I hoped would get some sense out of this thread but I see you decided to play the joker. Thank you very much!

The difference between this thread and the other one is that I can tell from experience.
edit on 22-9-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

All my rant threads get steamed on.

I think it goes with the forum.

No harm intended

Edit:

I think the forum avatar makes it difficult to take things seriously with that mad guy yelling at us.
edit on 22-9-2016 by DigitalVigilante420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I used to live with a person who was so convinced that their anxiety was preventing them from social interaction and that they couldn't do anything (work for instance) because of it.

They were always being "triggered" by everything and nothing ever got better for them..you know why ?

Excuses, excuses, excuses..it's so easy to say it's something or someone else's fault but unless you own up to your own problems, wether it be a mental health issue or w/e, then you are not doing anything to stop those "triggers" from occurring.

That's my take on the subject, and I might be totally off topic so if I am sorry, but I wanted to get that out there.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
I have the feeling, because of some reactions in the other thread, this is necessary to write.
I also have the feeling the OP does not have bad intentions but most posters don't get the whole picture.

Seldom it's words that trigger something. Mostly it's movements, smells, similar situations. Simple life things like someone clapping behind your ear or fast movements in your peripheral vision. No one can know that and thus the whole trigger-word debate is a bit over the top, too. I can't expect others to be careful all the time because they could trigger me or another one. I just expect others to take the damn thing serious and not label everyone who suffers under such conditions a "snowflake" or SJW.

And with this, I carefully blame the people who push this "trigger"-thing because it's so "hyped". I lack the verbs to express it but someone has to do it. The people who push this have NO CLUE what they are talking about and if they were really affected, they would know better! I'm fed up and I can't hear or read the word "trigger" anymore.

We need to deal with it and not cotton-wrapped. Those who suffer from trauma and can be "triggered" need to learn to cope with it, that's one of the first things you learn. Because up to the breakdown, if it does not come instantly, you don't know what's up. You are in passive denial, meaning you don't remember the situation but you feel the effects on you mind and shortly afterwards, your body. For it to get better you need to deal with it, not hide from it.

Thank you for taking time reading this carefully.

If you have a problem with words, smells or anything else, that's your problem. Don't expect the world to accommodate your problems, that's not reality. Get over yourself.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
If you would have written about the topic it would be another reaction from me. But because you were really one of the posters that I hoped could see it from my eyes, I was really disappointed when your only comment was "this is a thread about a thread". That showed me you did not carefully read.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle
Standard hate response failed because:

I can't expect others to be careful all the time because they could trigger me or another one. I just expect others to take the damn thing serious and not label everyone who suffers under such conditions a "snowflake" or SJW.

God damn could you read before you post your crap!!!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

On a serious note I have ptsd and anxiety had anxiety before ptsd and after the episodes things got worse and I get triggered very easily, especially if drinking.

I have no problem with the word being used.

In regards to triggering ptsd...

I know people who intentionally trigger my ptsd because they enjoy seeing me in anxiety and it's very aggravating especially since I am controlling my anger.

This is all serious and i dont tell many people this. Sorry if my jokes were a downer I was trying to get a smile out of you.

Take care.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I just feel this is getting so overblown by -excuse me for swinging that bat- want-to-be or makebelieves who have no idea what they are talking about. Getting sad because of something you hear is not the same as being traumatized.

I don't have hard feelings, I was just a bit disappointed. Should have written your post above the first time. All good.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
"Triggering" is a game for children. Say anything, no matter how stupid and if someone calls it, they are triggered. Not your fault for being stupid. Their fault for pointing it out. It must be nice to absolve ones self.

Even if they don't bite, people call "triggered". And then believe it themselves. Like I said... a child's game.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

No in fact you are perfectly on topic. I appreciate your input.
There are of course many many different forms and levels of ptst or anexy and their causes. I have the same problems with crowds but there are no things to trigger me in crowds. It comes from low self esteem. I was making the "excuses" because I wanted to avoid the situation(crowds, like in your example) where I totally stressed out because of low self esteem. That came from the trauma, so it's a second class reactional behavior, not direct like reliving the situation.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Standard hate response failed because:

I can't expect others to be careful all the time because they could trigger me or another one. I just expect others to take the damn thing serious and not label everyone who suffers under such conditions a "snowflake" or SJW.

God damn could you read before you post your crap!!!!!

You don't want me to post what I think of the triggering insanity. You have no idea the trauma I've had and guess what? My problem, I don't expect anyone to accommodate my problem. Grow up.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

No please don't play that game. You just don't get the OP. If you had read more than the first three lines, you would know that this:

If you have a problem with words, smells or anything else, that's your problem. Don't expect the world to accommodate your problems, that's not reality. Get over yourself.

Is basically the same as what I quoted to you.

verschickter:

Just not as rude. Once again, read before you post. But I know you won't admit being wrong. No way for you...

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Being a scuba diver I also appreciate this, it helps me calm down and remember the peace 25m under water.

Just accepting the fact some just don't read and will post one liners, either way. They can be nasty if they are parenting...(the trigger fish)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

OK. Now I'm triggered. Looking around for a puffer fish.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

No please don't play that game. You just don't get the OP. If you had read more than the first three lines, you would know that this:

Is basically the same as what I quoted to you.

verschickter:

Just not as rude. Once again, read before you post. But I know you won't admit being wrong. No way for you...

Ok, I guess you want me to acknowledge you're doing the atypical passive-aggressive thing. Fine. You point out that people trigger you, but it's not their fault, so they change because they are guilted into it, thereby accommodating your passive-aggressive stance.

Did I get that right? Do I get a star? Lol.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/22.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

No, you did not get that right. I said I can't blame anyone outside for doing something that could "trigger" me. If someone says he's triggered very often by such minor things that happen in real life should go seek medical help. I am just fed up by all the idiots pushing this "we need trigger protection" #. Especially when it's about trigger-words. I know many people (from group sessions) with ptsd/depressions and not one of them has ever mentioned being triggered by a word alone. So it's bull# anyways to push on trigger words. I'm not saying trigger words do not exist. I'm saying the most people suffer from smells and situations and are not avoidable.

I basically say: "Just get over the trigger stuff and face reality".
You really should read my OP again. Maybe then you'll see that you are totally off with your assumption, especially the last. But you had to do that to safe you face, I understand.
What I don't understand is the star comment.

And again back to topic and unrelated to you:
When I talk about trigger words, I do not mean them in the way of a hypnosis trigger. Those are planted triggers by words, not by trauma.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

No, you did not get that right. I said I can't blame anyone outside for doing something that could "trigger" me. If someone says he's triggered very often by such minor things that happen in real life should go seek medical help. I am just fed up by all the idiots pushing this "we need trigger protection" #. Especially when it's about trigger-words. I know many people (from group sessions) with ptsd/depressions and not one of them has ever mentioned being triggered by a word alone. So it's bull# anyways to push on trigger words. I'm not saying trigger words do not exist. I'm saying the most people suffer from smells and situations and are not avoidable.

I basically say: "Just get over the trigger stuff and face reality".
You really should read my OP again. Maybe then you'll see that you are totally off with your assumption, especially the last. But you had to do that to safe you face, I understand.
What I don't understand is the star comment.

And again back to topic and unrelated to you:
When I talk about trigger words, I do not mean them in the way of a hypnosis trigger. Those are planted triggers by words, not by trauma.

FFS'S they're just words lol and you're doing it again, passive-aggressive manipulation. That dog don't hunt here. I have no idea what you think your trauma is, maybe you should 'splain it Lucy? I don't do vague.

It's been more than obvious to me that for the last 5 years anyway, we are living in the p##see generation, I am just an antique I guess, a relic from a time when people actually had spines and thought more of the two guys watching my back than myself.

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join