It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Decide on Gaming Laptop.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I have been wanting to buy a new 17 inch gaming laptop. My laptop has seen its better days. The cover doesn't hardly close at all because it has a broken hinge. It is cracked along the side and the keys are starting to act up. They feel like they are starting to lock up.
Here are some of the laptops I have been looking at...........
Sager NP8173-S Notebook, MSI GE72 Apache Pro-070
Asus ROG G752,Aleinware 17 along with many others.
I want something with horse power and wont need to worry about updating for 4 or 5 years. I wouldn't be asking for advise but I have been looking for 3 months now. I know the people here are very smart when it comes to these things and could help point me in the right direction. I don't plan on spending more than $1800.00. Thank you in advance.

edit on 22-9-2016 by Tarzan the apeman. because: I spell badly and my english aint so great either

edit on 22-9-2016 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Isnt it better to buy a stationary with a gaming stream function ?
Or maybe PSNOW, 4-5 years with a gaming pc for 1800dollars? Well it aint coming with warranty

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Depends. What type of gaming ? What games are you looking at or have ?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Isnt it better to buy a stationary with a gaming stream function ?
Or maybe PSNOW, 4-5 years with a gaming pc for 1800dollars? Well it aint coming with warranty

Thats why I build my own gaming PCs .Power . Relatively easy and cheap to upgrade. My laptops I leave to surfing ,email, etc. for the family.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang
I use my laptop more then my desktop which I bought a year ago. Desktop is in office. Not to worried about warranty. I can add a year on if need be.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I play one game, and thats it on my PC, i left the gaming world with the Bad Company 2 franchise, i dont really need a gaming PC anymore so i buy a laptop actually a imac and cross play..
Im looking into a table top arcade though.. I want to buy one, but i aint paying 2000 dollars for a wooden box with a raspberry and a cheap monitor..
Im stuck in the 90s i guess.. Golden era !!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Titan fall, COD. Fallout, Battlefront Crysis. Want to start playing the game my sister plays, World of Warcraft.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The "warranty" quote was meant as a stolen laptop for 1800,

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Well that would be a nice laptop then.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Fallout 4 is probably the most demanding on the list. The more you throw at it , the more it uses. You could try the following:

Alienware

You build it as you go along. Kinda choose your own components , but they are not cheap.
Here are the basic requirements:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent.
8 GB RAM.
30 GB free HDD space.
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent.

Bear in mind this is minimum. To run with this , you have to lower some graphics in the game.
edit on 9/22/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Look into Alien wear laptops, I use a 2014 i7 model and it was around £1100 or more.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
Look into Alien wear laptops, I use a 2014 i7 model and it was around £1100 or more.

IMO, Alien ware went to crap once Dell purchased them...

OP, I would build my own gaming computer. That's the best way to go about it if you want the best possible machine.. I built my own VR machine for my home..

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

My desktop is Alienware. It wasn't cheap, hasn't let me down.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

I like the horse power of the Sager but I found that a lot of your laptops are made by a place called Clevo they just add there own hardware.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
When you come right down to it, a lot of them use the same parts. Take a look at the ads in PC Gamer or Game Informer. They always have a good-better-best choice from nearly any company. A lot of the laptops are Lenovo and then re-branded by companies adding stuff on. If you but THAT KIND of laptop, one's about as good as another.

Cooling is a major issue with laptops, of course, and especially with gamers because of their intensive use of the graphic card. I have an Alienware 17". People like to trash Alienware because they are more expensive and owned by Dell, but I gotta tell ya, the Alienware machine is VERY well made (and a bit heavy). I also have a Toshiba Satellite and a new HP Spectre (and many others over the years.) Just looking at the components there is a big difference in quality.

A couple of examples. The power cord on the Alienware is twice as thick as my other laptops. It could break, too, of course, but it is less likely to. The cord connection to the laptop is an issue with the Toshiba. It keeps coming off. The Alienware is a solid fit and never comes off. The keyboard of the Alienware has embossed letters. My Toshiba has printed letters which are wearing off. Some of them I can no longer see. The screen of the Alienware is LED and if anything, too bright. The Toshiba is OK, but reflections from inside or outside are a problem. And, of course, the graphics from a high-end video card like NVidia are fabulous! Of course, all things being equal other laptops can take high-end graphics. You don't have to spend a lot for an Alienware. There are a couple of 17" models within your price range.

I played SWTOR for a couple of years and only dropped it with their last big change which ruined it for me. I'm looking for another Triple A game that is more than a point and shoot, but I haven;t found one I like yet. I thought Secret World would work, but meh? Zombies. Still looking. I'm a bit odd as a gamer as I'm 67, but I can still kick some virtual butt! :-)
edit on 9/22/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You can add a graphic amplifier to the new Alienware laptops which right now puts them ahead of the curve from some of the articles I have read.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: jhn7537

I like the horse power of the Sager but I found that a lot of your laptops are made by a place called Clevo they just add there own hardware.

Alienware id Dell . Dell bought em out years ago.I own one if their laptops from about 4 years ago. Jut now getting time to replace.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

You can add a graphic amplifier to the new Alienware laptops which right now puts them ahead of the curve from some of the articles I have read.

VR ready and you build your own online.
edit on 9/22/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I've looked at that, and it's really not such a hot deal. It basically puts a desktop graphics card in a laptop and chains the laptop to the desk. Laptop graphics cards are a shade different than desktop editions, usually with somewhat fewer features. (NVidia uses the same numbering scheme with an "M" appended for the laptop version.) The "amplifier" is just a box with the desktop graphic card version inside. AND it results in a waste of money because the laptop still has its graphic card, but it is bypassed and unused. The "amplifier" also has keyboard and mouse slots, plus their connections, so you wind up using a laptop as a desktop simply because you're surrounded in cords and made to be stationary. I suppose you could justify it if you only had one computer and sometimes wanted to unplug it from its amplifier and carry it around, but frankly an Alienware is so heavy that you may as well get another cheap $600 laptop to carry around. You;d at least break even and probably be money ahead.

BTW, Alienware didn't suddenly "go to crap" when Dell bought them. If you;re going to claim that, please cite exactly which components were good, then after-Dell were bad. The build quality of an Alienware is very good. Put the Alienware against a cheap model and you can tell an instant difference. There's a lot of attention to detail that you simply don't see in cheaper brands, some of which I already mentioned.
edit on 9/22/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
When you come right down to it, a lot of them use the same parts. Take a look at the ads in PC Gamer or Game Informer. They always have a good-better-best choice from nearly any company. A lot of the laptops are Lenovo and then re-branded by companies adding stuff on. If you but THAT KIND of laptop, one's about as good as another.

Cooling is a major issue with laptops, of course, and especially with gamers because of their intensive use of the graphic card. I have an Alienware 17". People like to trash Alienware because they are more expensive and owned by Dell, but I gotta tell ya, the Alienware machine is VERY well made (and a bit heavy). I also have a Toshiba Satellite and a new HP Spectre (and many others over the years.) Just looking at the components there is a big difference in quality.

A coupleof examples. The power cord on the Alienware is twice as thick as my other laptops. It could break, too, of course, but it is less likely to. The cord connection to the laptop is an issue with the Toshiba. It keeps coming off. The Alienware is a solid fit and never comes off. The keyboard of the Alienware has embossed letters. My Toshiba has printed letters which are wearing off. Some of them I can no longer see. The screen of the Alienware is LED and if anything, too bright. The Toshiba is OK, but reflections from inside or inside are a problem. And, of course, the graphics from a high-end video card like NVidia are fabulous! Of course, all things being equal other laptops can take high-end graphics. You don't have to spend a lot for an Alienware. There are a couple of 17" models within your price range.

I played SWTOR for a couple of years and only dropped it with their last big change which ruined it for me. I'm looking for another Triple A game that is more than a point and shoot, but I haven;t found one I like yet. I thought Secret World would work, but meh? Zombies. Still looking. I'm a bit odd as a gamer as I'm 67,but I can still kick some virtual butt! :-)

I 100% agree with you about the AlienWear power cord, it's fantastic and never let me down yet,, as for the brightness i've turned mine down to 75% and working fine for my eyes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join