It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Tulsa Police Officer Charged With Manslaughter In Terrence Crutcher Death

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bonsaihorn
This sure happened quickly, they must not want riots like Charlotte, where the police actually had a reason. My theory was that she had her finger on the trigger instead of on the outside of the trigger guard.

TULSA, Oklahoma - The Tulsa County District Attorney Stephen Kunzweiler announced he charged Officer Betty Shelby with first-degree manslaughter in the death of Terence Crutcher.

I spent the majority of my life there (albeit further south) although that's about to be untrue. It always seemed so chill.

Source

I think they are trying to stave off riots and other disturbances. The facts will come out, but I have a problem with these rush to judgments just like in Baltimore.

I think the woman may have fired too quickly, but I still don't know that it warrants the charge. It is hard to play Monday morning quarter back. We are creating a situation that is going to get some cops killed as they will be hesitating worrying about political fallout / careers instead of dealing with the situation appropriately imho.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Or we're creating a situation where good people won't want to be cops anymore, just like with politics and politicians. Who would want to put themselves and their families through that? The job is already dangerous and thankless enough.

So much like politicians, what will be left with in our LEO uniforms?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
judging by the this thread just shoot her in the face, they cant be rehabilitated.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
My guess is PCP will be found in his system during autopsy and it will be ruled a justified shooting.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
a reply to: bonsaihorn

First degree though? A jury will never convict. More likely second or third.

No, she set herself up for 1st degree. If she had admitted to a mistake and had said she didn't mean to shoot, it would have been 2nd or 3rd degree. But she claimed she intentionally shot him but attempted to justify it. An intentional act that recklessly results in death, even if the death was not intended, is 1st degree manslaughter in Oklahoma. She got some really bad advice from someone as to what to claim. She claimed that the dead guy reached into the driver side window, but the video shows the window was completely rolled up. She bought herself a 1st degree conviction, and will probably plead out, if the prosecutor makes an offer. He very well may not, given the pressures on him.
H:e really doesn't need to. she admitted intentionally pulling the trigger under the recklessly wrong belief that he was reaching in a closed window. If I were representing her, which I wouldn't, I would concentrate on the penalty phase more than the guilt phase. In Oklahoma, upon a trial verdict of guilty,the jury determines the sentence.
BTW, I am a retired lawyer with 30 years of criminal law experience and 5 years as a judge. She is toast.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

I'm not defending her actions but why, just why, can't people just listen to what the cops are telling them to do??

Killing people for not following ORDERS is just plain wrong and stupid.

What if the person is deaf or hard of hearing. Just kill em.

Your Police are some of the worst in the world.

Citizens should never fear their Police.

P

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I don't understand why more cops, if they are going to shoot, don't shoot to disable.

So even if this lady thought he was reaching into the car to grab a weapon, shoot him in the leg. He'd then fall on the ground, negating any chance to grab the weapon and he'd still be alive today.

The evidence of her panicking, among everything else is immediately shooting to kill. She should never have been hired for this job which is a whole other matter.

Actually, the current movement of hating all things cops is going to make America less safe, funny enough. Applications to police departments have fallen off massively. Few want to be a cop anymore. The result will be even more incapable cops on the roads in a few years.
edit on 22-9-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
My guess is PCP will be found in his system during autopsy and it will be ruled a justified shooting.

Just because someone is high, it is not justification to shoot someone.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

I don't understand why more cops, if they are going to shoot, don't shoot to disable.

That is what tasers are for.

So even if this lady thought he was reaching into the car to grab a weapon, shoot him in the leg. He'd then fall on the ground, negating any chance to grab the weapon and he'd still be alive today.

A firearm is only to be used when the officer reasonably fears that their life is in danger.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

No...it's not. Coupled with non compliance and what appears to be a long record with warrants and you have a completely different situation that has a 99% chance of going wrong...unless your perspective is that this was the one time he was going to do the right thing....

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

A firearm is only to be used when the officer reasonably fears that their life is in danger.

He was tasered...didn't do anything.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

True.
PCP can affect a person's actions and decision making though.
Would it make a difference if he had told the officer that he was going to kill her just before he reached down to his waist?
I don't know what may have been said by the deceased, but there are many things that will be brought up in a trial.
One being that the officer feared for her life when she shot.
Another being that he was not following commands.

Add that he was high on PCP..... ?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

No, you're right ...

Drugs are never a reason to cause a cop to shoot you.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Was he not complying?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

He was tasered...didn't do anything.

I believe he was shot while being tased.

Am I incorrect?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Would it make a difference if he had told the officer that he was going to kill her just before he reached down to his waist?

Of course. That would be justified.

Very odd comparison.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Another odd comparison. Apples and oranges.

Not sure what your point is.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Very odd comparison.

The problem is that the pig already told her story. There was no verbal threat according to her. She lied about the window, probably not knowing that the video would show a closed window. She screwed herself. that is the problem with making any statement, even one you think is exculpatory. She picked a story, and the later proof disproved it. I spent a sizeable portion of my career defending cops in court and, in my opinion, this stupid pig needs to go down, and most likely will. As for the alleged PCP, I, as an older white guy, could have pounds of drugs in my my car and not be shot.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

Very odd comparison.

The problem is that the pig already told her story. There was no verbal threat according to her. She lied about the window, probably not knowing that the video would show a closed window. She screwed herself. that is the problem with making any statement, even one you think is exculpatory. She picked a story, and the later proof disproved it. I spent a sizeable portion of my career defending cops in court and, in my opinion, this stupid pig needs to go down, and most likely will. As for the alleged PCP, I, as an older white guy, could have pounds of drugs in my my car and not be shot.

Thank you for your perspective.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe

Was he not complying?

According to the story no....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join