It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re-Opening the Request for a Poetry Forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Dear ATS Owners and Mods,

The new "Official ATS Poetry Thread" has me very disappointed.

While I appreciate the effort to remove poetry from the Short Story Forum (it never really belonged with short stories), I feel that, as a writer, the art form of Poetry is being short-shafted.

Poetry is one of my most beloved forms of Art. In my "Real Life" I have written and published a book of poetry regarding my experiences with my children (one with severe autism and one with congenital heart defect). On the boards, Poetry conveyed my deep prayer of hope for another member here who was having a difficult time. It meant something. I means something.

Holding Light

The American poet Emily Dickinson, though shrinking from offering a definition of poetry, once confided in a letter, "If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry." A well-known British poet, A.E. Housman, could identify poetry through a similar response. He said that he had to keep a close watch over his thoughts when he was shaving in the morning, for if a line of poetry strayed into his memory, a shiver raced down his spine and his skin would bristle so that his razor ceased to act. What is this thing that can so physically affect some persons?
Link

I respectfully request a separate, new forum for Poetry. I would like it to include not only original works, but articles on poetry writing, and even threads on the style and meaning of some of the great poems of literature. "How To's" and requests for feedback from members trying to improve their craft would be welcome.

I strongly advocate for this Art form to be elevated above mere "Chit Chat," as that is, from my perspective, a travesty.

I can express things in the language of poetry that I cannot express in any other way. It is completely different than my short story writing, and while I can have a lyrical style with stories, there is an obvious distinction between a poem and a short story.

Perhaps requirements could include a minimum of content, just like any other thread. Perhaps we could request, for those more prolific members, that they be limited to "Theme Threads" - i.e. "Love Poems by xyz" and they could add to them, rather than put up several per day along the same lines and same style. "Anthologies," if you will.

That way, those members who subscribe to the poetry forum and want to "follow" a poet, can do so without it filling up the "New Thread" category and the Short Story Forum, since that seemed to be the main complaint and issue from the previous board thread.

The Haiku thread and the Official Poetry Thread could be added in for "quick and fun" poems, and "poetic conversation," which is what they are, really.

It should also be noted that, while respect is required and trolling is not allowed, genuine discussion of someone's works is always considered fair game. Putting someone's efforts down or simply trashing them would not be okay, but requests for meaning, giving respectful feedback and offering one's own experience would be perfectly acceptable, and should be prepared for, by any contributor.

Would this be a good compromise?? Again, I ask this with utmost respect for the effort it takes to put up and moderate a new forum.

What say you, fellow ATS Members, Owners & Staff??

I appreciate your feedback.

- AB
edit on 22-9-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Hi AB! Yeah....I just happened across your thread here. I wrote a poem that I meant as a poem, and I put it in Short Stories (perhaps "Member Art" or "Literature" would be possible venues?).....

it was moved, and that's fine with me.. but it really, imo, was more of a poem than a General Chit Chat thing.
I don't think of poems as "general chit-chat."

I fully agree that it should be an art-appreciation venue......or maybe a new category altogether about "Fine Arts".

S/F

edit on 9/22/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I second this suggestion.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
A well thought out proposition.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I just re-read this whole post. My prior response was based on a quick scan.
Your suggestions are brilliant. I am whole-heartedly enthused about having a forum to share poetry....a "writer's circle" kind of thing. As a multi-venued writer, I too would appreciate a place to share my work, and to get authentically peer-juried feedback.

Love you for making this thread.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I agree too, we need a place for poems only!

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
ok, my fellow writers....
I will take my leave here, and be outside reading Anne Lamott's "Bird By Bird; Some Instructions On Writing and Life"

I'll be thinking about you all as I read it.....you sensitive creatures who are indelibly held fast and fondly within my heart...

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Thank you for presenting an obviously well thought out and clear idea for a new forum.

I would sorely miss the writings of several members if they were to stop contributing. I fear this is what would happen if there is not a reconsideration of the decision by the owners/admin to only allow poetry in one thread.

I like the outline and basic design of your ideas for a new forum.

I hope that your thoughts and ideas are heard.

A Mod in the new 'poetry thread' alluded briefly that talks may be in the works.

*fingers crossed*

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I support such a forum

Although I understand why 'Poems" were an issues for some. A forum for poems shouldn't be that big of a deal to create.

SO, Make it happen there big guy

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hey Guys,

This is being looked into/worked on.

I promise something will be forthcoming, we do hear you loud and clear and will do our best to accommodate. None of these changes are being taken lightly or without thought

I'm going to close this thread for now, and we'll have something official coming out as soon as staff can make the appropriate decisions & changes if any.

~Tenth

top topics

join