It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovered A Huge Honey Bee Hive By My House

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Hi.
While having some fence put in along my property, a couple of the workmen came around saying the large tree by my house has a huge Honey Bee nest in it.
A couple of them were stung while putting in posts, but are fine. They said the hive is huge and throughout the tree. I checked it...and the hive is very large...inside the tree.

I've never been bothered by them and they're no bother to us on our balcony or deck...BUT...knowing how honey bees are disappearing, I'm wondering if there is anything I should be doing to assure the hive's safety.

Does anyone have any advice?

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Hi.
While having some fence put in along my property, a couple of the workmen came around saying the large tree by my house has a huge Honey Bee nest in it.
A couple of them were stung while putting in posts, but are fine. They said the hive is huge and throughout the tree. I checked it...and the hive is very large...inside the tree.

I've never been bothered by them and they're no bother to us on our balcony or deck...BUT...knowing how honey bees are disappearing, I'm wondering if there is anything I should be doing to assure the hive's safety.

Call a beekeeper. They will probably come and remove it for free if they are truly Honey Bees and not Africanized. I know a few groups in my town actively look for hives / balls to move to them to safer places for conservation.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Hi.

I would just leave it alone and not tell anyone it's there. Kids would destroy it just for the sake of destroying it.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Vacuum bees, relocate them,

Then its time to make some killer mead.

link   

That is very noble of you
Perhaps you could plant out some flowers so they can collect their pollen

I am not But There are lots bee experts out there who can help

edit on 22-9-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Hi.

Call a beekeeper. They will probably come and remove it for free if they are truly Honey Bees and not Africanized. I know a few groups in my town actively look for hives / balls to move to them to safer places for conservation.

Thanks.
I wouldn't mind keeping them here as part of the environment...our lot is large and wooded and not in danger of further development.
I just want them safe.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Hi.

I would just leave it alone and not tell anyone it's there. Kids would destroy it just for the sake of destroying it.

They are very safe and secluded by the home. No worry of kids hurting them.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

That is very noble of you
Perhaps you could plant out some flowers so they can collect their pollen

I am not But There are lots bee experts out there who can help

We have many flowers and flowering trees on property.
Maybe I can plant some they especially need and like.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Most people would pour boiling water into it.. So I salute you sir..
I suggest just leave them Bee.. (excuse the pun)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I guess so ... though it sounds like they are doing good all by themselves
You probably do not but do not allow pesticides on your land as this has been noted as a cause of bee decline

But again I am no expert

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Like another said, look up a local beekeeper, they will know how to keep them safe. Might be just leave them alone. My bud is a beekeeper..I will send him a message today.
Is it getting cooler where you live..roughly where?
edit on 22-9-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

I guess so ... though it sounds like they are doing good all by themselves
You probably do not but do not allow pesticides on your land as this has been noted as a cause of bee decline

But again I am no expert

Very good point. TY

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Like another said, look up a local beekeeper, they will know how to keep them safe. Might be just leave them alone. My bud is a beekeeper..I will send him a message today.

Thanks. I'd appreciate that very much.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I love bees and cats(see avatar)....
Depending on where u live there are a ton of beautiful flowers that bees love...

This should help...not to mention how beautiful they are...bees have good taste
fafard.com...

-Chris

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Sorry I edited my post to ask your rough location..It might be helpful info when I ask my bud what he would do.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
I love bees and cats(see avatar)....
Depending on where u live there are a ton of beautiful flowers that bees love...

This should help...not to mention how beautiful they are...bees have good taste
fafard.com...

-Chris

Oh, Thank you.
I'd love to put in some Sunflowers...I'll go through this flower list.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

How cool! Put out some water in a shallow dish for them to drink. If there are flowers and weeds nearby, they'll be fine.
I think I'd take up beekeeping! Honey is good for SO many things!

This might be a helpful article...

Gardening for Pollinators

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Sorry I edited my post to ask your rough location..It might be helpful info when I ask my bud what he would do.

Southern Ohio. U.S.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

How cool! Put out some water in a shallow dish for them to drink. If there are flowers and weeds nearby, they'll be fine.
I think I'd take up beekeeping! Honey is good for SO many things!

This might be a helpful article...

Gardening for Pollinators

Thanks, BH. There's a fountain and a birdbath near their tree.
The hive seems to extend about seven feet up a long crevasse in the tree trunk...so I imagine there'd be plenty of honey.
Still, I wouldn't want to interrupt them.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
If you do decide to move them do it after winter. If you move them now they will prob not have enough time to gather food for the winter and they will die.

Here in AZ a buddy of mine is a bee keeper and he posts on CL all time time for free bee removal. He will go in box the entire colony and take them home for his hives. He has about 11 right now and sells his honey online. Check there for local beekeepers who are looking to expand.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join