It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major National IT Issues at the VA During Critical Fiscal Year End

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I am a federal contracting officer, and wanted to get this post out there based on current events going on right now.

Many of us are working overtime here at the end of the fiscal year (ends Sept.30th) at which point the Government can no longer spend this year's money.

Well, there is currently a massive, nation wide issue with servers / IT and no one can login or do any work.

Why is this a problem? Well there are still millions of dollars that need to be obligated to contracts before Sept. 30 so that services don't stop and needed equipment and supplies can get ordered, otherwise the Government loses all that money. We're talking major interruptions in the Government helping vets, etc.

Have any other of you ATSers that are feds have similar problems today? I've always said that if a foreign actor wanted to disrupt the Government, they would cyber attack procurement offices near the end of the fiscal year...

No word on the cause yet, but this being such a big nation wide problem makes one wonder...

No news links yet, but this is a huge deal nationally right now and I wanted to get the word out!
edit on 22-9-2016 by SonOfThor because: spelling

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Possibly taking a backup before applying some new software to do the year end processing would be one option or they tried to apply the new software and it broke the system and so its lights out till its fixed.

Also systems may need physical upgrades ready for the year end but why mid week during works time unless they failed.

Having worked on large systems its not uncommon for stuff to go wrong as you never can get the time to do the job properly but with it not being broadcast i'd say its not scheduled so i'd imagine something has gone T.I.T.S.U.P. (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

If I recall correctly, they use Allscripts RCM. Is the problem with domain or the software they use to run the business? If its the RCM I'm not surprised as Allscripts software was garbage last I saw it, and due for a complete rewrite.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   
nvm,
edit on 23-9-2016 by Apollumi because: (no reason given)

top topics

join