It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic questions No skepticism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I have decided as a skeptic that maybe i should open an ear to the side of the witches/magicians/warlocks/sorcerors/sorcerists and all others.

My first question is related to another thread i was reading. If someone was to perform necromancy in as much as to talk to a long deceased relative would there be a protective spell that could be cast to keep evil things from coming through a rift that would most likely be formed?

Is there magic that is visual as opposed to opinionated. Like can a really talented and well learned magic user cast a spell to make a fire in front of them? Or other direct result magic?

What types of extreme magic spells are there? Is there any tombs of arkane knowledge that hold the wisdom of some ancient magic that is far more powerful than that of the spells today?

Is there a so called holy grail of places to perform magic, like would it be more effective to cast spells in the centre of stonhenge as opposed to the top of a skyscraper.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Actually the most powerful form of protective magick is friendship.A good sorceror is protected by good spirits.Mortals have limitations on exercising potent magick on the physical plane.Because we are governed by laws of the physical plane.You cant break those laws no matter how strong or powerful the sorceror think she/he is.And you cant cheat or lie to the spirits as they can read your mind and feel your emotions.If you were to study carefully,you will see that a lot of powerful ritual and magick spells involve borrowing authority from gods and deities.This pretty much explains how much a mortal can do in the arts of magick.Unless you are spiritually very evolved then that is a different story.

Cug

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
There are many types of Magick practitioners so there might be more than one view about what I’m going to say. I have been a practicing Ceremonial magician for 15 years. Most of that time I have used a Golden Dawn style, and for the last few I have been a Thelemic magician. Now that you know where I stand it’s time to answer your questions.

If someone was to perform necromancy in as much as to talk to a long deceased relative would there be a protective spell that could be cast to keep evil things from coming through a rift that would most likely be formed?

Yes, in fact it’s pretty standard whenever you do any ritual, and always done when your evoking/invoking something. Read up on the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram for an example of a simple banishing ritual. There are many more banishing rituals but this one is the normal first step of just about any ritual.

Is there magic that is visual as opposed to opinionated. Like can a really talented and well learned magic user cast a spell to make a fire in front of them? Or other direct result magic?

Yes but it wouldn’t be that impressive… you would have to have some combustible materials to fuel the fire. A likely way for something like this to manifest would be a gust of wind / pet dog whatever to knock a candle over into your combustible material.

It also depends what you mean by visual. After some time of practice you will see the results, or you may use an assistant who can see things astraly better than you can. (for some reason women seem to be on average better at this than men.)

What types of extreme magic spells are there? Is there any tombs of arkane knowledge that hold the wisdom of some ancient magic that is far more powerful than that of the spells today?

Well I’d guess I’d have to say Enochian Magick would be “extreme” Magick. As for you second question… who knows? maybe.

Is there a so called holy grail of places to perform magic, like would it be more effective to cast spells in the centre of stonhenge as opposed to the top of a skyscraper.

Mmmmmm Well not a universal place, but each practioner may have a place where (s)he feels works better than another. Time one the other hand plays a big part in the success or failure of an operation.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   

If you have ever visited Stonehenge you would know the answer to this question. It is a very powerful place. There is a heaviness and age to the atmosphere in Stonehenge that I have met nowhere else. KayEm agrees with me on this and she knows far more about this than I ever will.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
really i would be very interested to visit stonehendge myself as it is part of my ancestry. I am part scottish and that part of my scottish use to be in control of the entire sutherlands more peticularly the druid part was my backround. There might be something neat for me waiting there. I am part of the mackay clan.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kronn
Actually the most powerful form of protective magick is friendship.A good sorceror is protected by good spirits.

I know that a lot of people talk about getting in touch with their spirit guides, and things like that. So how do you find them, or do they find you?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by toechopper

Originally posted by Kronn
Actually the most powerful form of protective magick is friendship.A good sorceror is protected by good spirits.

I know that a lot of people talk about getting in touch with their spirit guides, and things like that. So how do you find them, or do they find you?

I think if the spirit guide thing exists then they come to you. I remember at one age that i was with my mother well she was at work getting ragged on because she was a taxi driver. Don't know what was going on but i went outside and started looking around the taxi graveyard. To my amazement a huge white wolf walked up on top of a hill just over the fence outside the compund and i stood looking at it and it looking at me until my mother came and asked me what i was doing when i looked back at her i told her about the wolf. when i lloked back a split second later it wasn't there. But after that i had a deep sense of well being but at the same time i felt like i had just been evaluated (mys soul) of my worth or something. Anyway she told me it might be a part of my native backround as I am part native, scottish, english and french. Not sure but i think thats a spirit guid because ever since whenever i get an impulse to look in a certain direction i see a wolf. You know on road trips or walking through the woods. Its very neat I have been contemplating looking into the spirit quest type thing.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I've got a quite personal view of Magic.

First of all, some little history: the term Magic finds its own roots in ancient Balilonian language. The Bablilonian word was "MAG", and meant, more or less, "scholar/sage"... we could say a wise person who has studied a lot, and thus knows a lot.
Notice how the root MAG can also be found in other common modern words, such as MAGnete, MAGnetism.

Now, back to my view of Magic.
Personally, I think Magic and Byo-energy are two ways of expressing the same concept. So, when speaking of Magic, we speak of the same Energy oriental tradition uses. Or, at least, the basis is the same: with our mind and will, we manipulate our energy, and/or the energy that surrounds us (with some kind of personal MAGnetism), in order to achieve a goal.

Surely, with this sort of MAGnetism, you can heal or hurt (I know it by experience)... dunno about hurling a fireball as we see in the movies, but I think a skilled MAGnetist could manipulate the energy of an object in order to cause its combustion, and do many other interesting things. And, I don't wanna shout it too loud, but I think a skilled or enough motivated person could also manipulate the flow of events (it's connected with my vision of life, but it would be too long and too difficult for me to explain).

About the right place, I can tell/assume some things:
1) You have to be in a "mentally comfortable" place. I mean, if you feel unpleasant about the place you are in, surely you'll encounter more difficulties in performing your action
2) The energy we are talking about is natural, so in the middle of untamed nature you will find more energy than into a skyscraper.
3) I'm not too sure about this, but I think the "tomb of arkane power" is your skills and your mind. Deal correctly with both of them, and I think you can unleash quite an interesting potential. After all "faith can move the mountains", they say. And this sentence can also be seen as faith in the possibility (mind) and capability (skill) of doing it.

My personal opinion. Now, feel free to demolish it

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It just sounds like your having fun with words to tell you the truth. I myself have come to the same conclusion that magic as defined of late is the same as chi or other forms of bio energy. But this thread is one i made for those who undoubtedly believe in magic and other such paranormal or psychical phenomenon. I really mean no offence but i did post another thread previously wich has more to do woith discerning the nature of magic called magic mislabelled science. Unfortunatly it doesn't seem to be to popular right now but oh well.

Anyway i agree completly with your ideas. The thing i am wondering though if it is possible to make something combust with this bio energy would it not also be plausible to assume that the very air itself could be made to ignite with the same energy. After all it would just take a very good understanding of chemistry to mentally manipulate oxygen into fuel and then ignite it, without mechanical or chemical intervention. So would it not be logical to assume at that point that once you learn to make an object comustible then if you higher your magical education then you could launch fireballs.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magickesists
My first question is related to another thread i was reading. If someone was to perform necromancy in as much as to talk to a long deceased relative would there be a protective spell that could be cast to keep evil things from coming through a rift that would most likely be formed?

No, no matter what book on the subject says otherwise.

Is there magic that is visual as opposed to opinionated. Like can a really talented and well learned magic user cast a spell to make a fire in front of them?

Yes, but don't do it. It's not YOUR magik you're playing with. Consider the source of power.

Or other direct result magic?

Yes. Ditto above statement.

What types of extreme magic spells are there?

How about seeking other things than the lust for power? How about doing something other than jabbing a fork in your eye? How about seeking good and to do good? How about praying to God and seeing what miracles occur in your life?

Is there any tombs of arkane knowledge that hold the wisdom of some ancient magic that is far more powerful than that of the spells today?

I'm sure, but we should not care.

Is there a so called holy grail of places to perform magic,

If you believe the grail is holy because Jesus touched it, then try reading his Words. Facinating stuff. I've got an extra copy of the Book that I'd gladly mail to you. It far surpasses any magik.

like would it be more effective to cast spells in the centre of stonhenge as opposed to the top of a skyscraper.

If you don't believe and remain a skeptic then at least you're not practicing. If you do believe, then also hear that there is a much greater good called God who can give you far better benefits.

Pray, train, study.
God bless.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
listen i don't mean to offend you either but you seem devoutly religous. Do you practice magic?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Yes, there are a variety of such protective rituals, circles, etc. that can be used for this.

I've never seen, nor heard proof of such actual magic, but there are certainly accounts of it.

Not sure if you mean "tomes" as in books, or tombs there, but if so, then they're obviously hidden, or else they'd BE the powerful spells of today, wouldn't they?
I'm more of the opinion that since the power of magic really comes more from the strong belief factor, that in ancient times, magic was more believed by the populace, thereby creating more base power to draw from, and that is why ancient magics are more powerful in general...

Places AND times. For example, Solstices and Equinoxes, etc. Check into the concept of "ley lines" and "nexis" points, and you'll pretty much get your answer. Key places of magic are often located at a nexus (where ley lines cross each other) of many different ley lines...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
well instead of retyping exactly what Gazrock said or quoting his entire post, my answers to your questions are the same as his.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
saint4God....::::sigh:::::here I am in this forum again.....
respectfully, because you and I usually do ok.....your are passing only what you believe and that does not make it true by any stretch of the imagination. You are also giving wrong information!

SAINT: No, no matter what book on the subject says otherwise..

Yes there is. However...it takes years of study to do this. It is not something that you just read a bit about and do. To try such things without knowing what your doing is dangerous and it is not advised...I am experienced, I know what I a doing and I do not play with Ouija boards, summoning or talking to the dead...for on thing....why? Leave the dead alone. If there is anything that someone ant to you to know or say to you...they'll get in touch. Many, many witches and Wiccans do not practice this. Personally I have always wondered why people want to.

Is there magic that is visual as opposed to opinionated. Like can a really talented and well learned magic user cast a spell to make a fire in front of them?

Yes, but don't do it. It's not YOUR magik you're playing with. Consider the source of power.

Magick, and I always hate to call it that in mixed company because it gives a fairy tell idea to some...is simply energy, a type of science that is just now being looked at by our scientific community....it is neither good nor bad, neither positive nor negative...it just "is" like the air or gravity....it's what one does with it that makes it positive or negative....
I don't know why your interested, but if you are wanting to learn I would suggest you read, go to some "reputable" sites and learn.....your not going to actually "learn from a conspiracy board, plus you have the religious that will always give their beliefs too.....I will say that magic is not something to be played with and you will be held accountable for anything you do, if you do anything that goes against the free will of another, you will be held responsible and it will come back to. It "you". Many Witches and Wiccans do not use magic, many do, so if it's one of those two that is sparking your interests, again, you need to study. As t making fireballs, why!? It seems from your questions that you are looking at this from a "plaything" perspective. Magick isn't something done because it would be "cool" or "neat" it is serious, serious, business! It is not anything like "The Craft, The Witches Of Eastwick, or Sabrina. It is nothing like Hollywood portrays it to be.....I have never seen anyone make fireballs, but I have never looked for such a thing either.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Personally I have always wondered why people want to.

You can learn a lot from the dead...but you do have to keep your guard up, and also be on guard for those who lie. If anything, the communication can be an interesting, if not dangerous experience. Personally, I've learned a little from it, and also escaped the danger involved, but no, it isn't something I'd highly recommend. In retrospect, it was likely only a strong will and a little luck that helped...

Still, I learned things that I don't think I would have learned any other way...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Personally I have always wondered why people want to.

You can learn a lot from the dead...

Oh I understand that! I just don't know understand it...I beleive in leaving the dead alone...for many reasons. As I said, if they need you, they will get in touch!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

listen i don't mean to offend you either but you seem devoutly religous. Do you practice magic?

I'm not offended and sorry if I sounded that way. I do feel passionately because of the friends I'd lost and the effects it has had on me. Mark me down a someone who does not practice magic. And now for the "you don't know what you're talking about then" speech. I've been around the block but I'm not staying in peoples' houses.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I do value your prespective because I can see the good intentions on your posts, however I think in this case we're looking at the same thing from two different angles because of experiences.

Originally posted by LadyV
saint4God....::::sigh:::::here I am in this forum again.....
respectfully, because you and I usually do ok.....your are passing only what you believe and that does not make it true by any stretch of the imagination. You are also giving wrong information!

And I say you are too. But again, it's perspective. I've been harmed by it. You apparently have not. It is a time-bomb though, so I hope it does not do a lot of damage when it goes off.

SAINT: No, no matter what book on the subject says otherwise..

Yes there is. However...it takes years of study to do this. It is not something that you just read a bit about and do.

Sticking to my original post here. This seems to me an appealing to the source of power resulting in a 'smoke and mirrors'-type play to keep the practioner in the game.

I do not play with Ouija boards, summoning or talking to the dead...

It's good to see wisdom, disagreements or not.

for on thing....why? Leave the dead alone. If there is anything that someone ant to you to know or say to you...they'll get in touch. Many, many witches and Wiccans do not practice this. Personally I have always wondered why people want to.

We're singing in chorus here. Magickesists, heed both warnings then please.

...is simply energy, a type of science that is just now being looked at by our scientific community....it is neither good nor bad, neither positive nor negative...it just "is" like the air or

Again disagreed per previous mention.

gravity....it's what one does with it that makes it positive or negative....

Oh but it can be a type of gravity, and an ugly one at that. It's a decent description but not harmless by any stretch of the imagination properly used or not, good intentioned or not. You cannot control this, only led to believe you are in control.

you have the religious that will always give their beliefs too.....

In all fairness LadyV, you're doing it too. Same bias goes for these "references".

As t making fireballs, why!?

Selfish entertainment, pride, and lust for power.

I have never seen anyone make fireballs, but I have never looked for such a thing either.

It can be done and should not be done, yes yes, I know, ya'll want me to shut up.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Perhaps I can be enlightened here...

Christianity, specifically Catholicism, holds that all magical rituals are inherently evil in nature.

Yet, they themselves practice many such rituals. For example, the ritual of transubstantiation of bread into the flesh of Christ, and wine into the blood of Christ.

So then, when does a magical ritual become sanctioned by the Church? Only when approved by the clergy, as interpreted in the good book?

Amazing isn't it, millions of Catholics practice magic every week, and yet don't even realize it..

So how is some magic deemed "good" in the eyes of the faithful? Is it a simple matter of semantics? Calling it a "prayer" instead of a "spell"? Even Prayer itself is a magical act, a rote of calling on another Power for aid. Would you not agree?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

really i would be very interested to visit stonehendge myself as it is part of my ancestry. I am part scottish and that part of my scottish use to be in control of the entire sutherlands more peticularly the druid part was my backround. There might be something neat for me waiting there. I am part of the mackay clan.

Manu Forti!! I have ancestors from the MacKay clan, but I thought their lands were on the far northern coast? and stonehenge is located on the south side of the island. Also, are the MacKays somehow involved in magick?

Thanks

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join