It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mary Berry quits Great British Bake Off out of loyalty to BBC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I'll admit that I've never watched the show but am aware of its place in the nation's hearts and the sadness at its loss to Channel 4.
After show hosts Mel and Sue said they would not be staying when the program moves all eyes were on show judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood to see how they would react to the move , today Mary Berry has said she will leave the show out of loyalty to BBC ....what a refreshing change.

Paul Hollywood has said he will remain with the show , a decision he may live to regret I think.
Channel 4 bought a show about soggy bottomed cakes and ended up with a £25 million Turkey.

"What a privilege and honour it has been to be part of seven years of magic in a tent - The Great British Bake Off. The Bake Off family - Paul, Mel and Sue have given me so much joy and laughter.
"My decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them, as they have nurtured me, and the show, that was a unique and brilliant format from day one. I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change, I hope they understand my decision.
"I wish the programme, crew and future bakers every possible success and I am so very sad not to be a part of it.
"Farewell to soggy bottoms."
www.bbc.co.uk...

I'm sure there is much gnashing of teeth and banging of heads on table over at Channel 4 at the decision but it goes to show that you can't always buy success.

edit on 22-9-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Can't stand the show myself chief but it is good to see that loyalty still resides in some people. I'm something of a BBC fan myself, which i know is a bit of a rarity in these days of licence fee objections!

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

The Beeb has its faults but is (in my opinion) the last bastion for quality programming on British TV , watched a great program last night in BBC 4 about Alfred the Great , no actors re-enacting scenes just a knowledgeable presenter going to places of significance and original texts spoken in Anglo Saxon English with subtitles .... brilliant.

Highly recommended for a watch on iplayer is that's your thing.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Channel 4 could have checked that the presenters would stay on, before buying the show. But it will probably still do well, just on the back of the following it has.

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I would love to see this (Alfred the Great)
Unfortunately a new law came in, in September of this year
You can not legally watch BBC IPlayer if you do have a TV licence
this includes recorded shows as far as I am aware

Just to add ... I do not have a TV set

edit on 22-9-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Seems that Pauls jumping ship with the show, paying 25 mill a year for a tent a few cookers and a serial bankrupt...bet there will be a few sackings at C4

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I watched it last night - yet another brilliant BBC4 documentary. I would honestly hardly watch tv anymore if it wasn't for BBC4. I get sucked in to some weird and wonderul programmes on there - such as the truly wonderful "Secret Life of Electricity". I have to be honest, with such a name i wasn't expecting much........but it dragged me in and held me for the entire series.

BBC4 is actually very good for that though. You see the title of a programme, think "that will be boring" and then watch something that completely grips you throughout!

new topics

top topics

join