It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wattle and Daub Hut With No Tools - Primitive Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Ran across this vid and really liked the process and result…with no tools. I did not know the term wattle and daub, but hell, a "survivor shack" works for me. There are numerous approaches to building primitive shelters, and while this one requires some time and effort, it's durability appeals to me. I liked the use of mud/clay for walls and bowls, and the fire pit with chimney is great.

I like this guys series of vids too…I just felt compelled to share this technique and the approaches he uses in general.
Primitive Technology

Another crafty idea for fire blower:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
He has many videos. Great stuff. He could live literaly naked with nothing beyond his wits and probably live in the lap of primitive luxury...

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I love his videos, the information is simple, efficient and almost anyone can do the work. I've learned a lot from that man. Thanks for the reminders.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
He has many videos. Great stuff. He could live literaly naked with nothing beyond his wits and probably live in the lap of primitive luxury...

No doubt huh? You can tell he is quite comfortable in the woods, and it reminds me of my younger self, before life consumed me and carved away some of my wonder and awe for simple pleasures in nature. I have always wanted to attend a survival course, but now a days you can get so much online, which is great. I still think participating in a group and earning a certificate would be rewarding too.

I should clarify by "no tools" I mean none brought in from outside sources.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

Fascinating!

Thanks so much for posting. I will go and see if he has any other videos.
He's very skilled, at least to my untrained eye. I've genuinely learned something today.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
I love his videos, the information is simple, efficient and almost anyone can do the work. I've learned a lot from that man. Thanks for the reminders.

My pleasure

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard
a reply to: waftist

Fascinating!

Thanks so much for posting. I will go and see if he has any other videos.
He's very skilled, at least to my untrained eye. I've genuinely learned something today.

Right back at ya AB
I included link to his other vids also…enjoy

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
that only works in that tropical climate he's in though. He's got tons of clay there and tons of rock hard wood.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigpatato
that only works in that tropical climate he's in though. He's got tons of clay there and tons of rock hard wood.

Yea, he's in Australia with plenty of clay. I'm in the US and we have rich deposits in the Southeast and deep south portion of the country and pockets scattered on the west coast too. I wonder if simple mud would suffice? It probably would lack the durability of clay, but for short term it might be beneficial.

I want to address my title too, for he does use tools, so I should have clarified to no outside tools brought in.

Thanks for the reply

Here is link to his blog also.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Primitive doesn't, as all too many believe, mean stupid...

I've learned some of those techniques, and in the right circumstances, or wrong I suppose, they would be and have been lifesavers.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Thought I would add his other vids for a more comprehensive thread:

edit on 26-9-2016 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: waftist

Yea, he's in Australia with plenty of clay. I'm in the US and we have rich deposits in the Southeast and deep south portion of the country and pockets scattered on the west coast too. I wonder if simple mud would suffice? It probably would lack the durability of clay, but for short term it might be beneficial.

I want to address my title too, for he does use tools, so I should have clarified to no outside tools brought in.

Thanks for the reply

People in north america typically use Cob. I've never tired it but I just wonder how much clay is out there? Seems like a lot of dirt though. Clay is hit and miss really. But ya if you could find some clay I guess you could use that to build a really sturdy place, I never really considered that. But like if you built a log cabin maybe you could use clay inbetween the logs. But ya you can actually make a lot of stuff out of clay. Cuz once you've built the kilm then you can make everything else you need. Wow geez that's pretty wild when you think about it.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: waftist

Thanks for the reply

People in north america typically use Cob. I've never tired it but I just wonder how much clay is out there? Seems like a lot of dirt though. Clay is hit and miss really. But ya if you could find some clay I guess you could use that to build a really sturdy place, I never really considered that. But like if you built a log cabin maybe you could use clay inbetween the logs. But ya you can actually make a lot of stuff out of clay. Cuz once you've built the kilm then you can make everything else you need. Wow geez that's pretty wild when you think about it.

top topics

join