It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confused about avatars and backgrounds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I've read the threads here about them, max size etc. I've tried several pictures and adjusted to the 200 x 450 size, but the whole picture still doesn't show up on my avatar. I see others here with a long (height-wise) one, but can't seem to get that effect.

And what exactly does the background do? I've tried using several photos (uploaded here) but nothing shows up

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: vlawde

To get a 'long' avatar, upload the image as your avatar, and use a transparent image as the mini background.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

So just use an URL from an uploaded photo with the transparent box clicked? Pretty sure I've done that, let me try again

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Uh, something like that. It's been awhile since I've messed with it. I'm not near a PC right now, but if someone else doesn't respond by the time I get home, I'll check it out and walk you through it if need be. Kind of hard to do from mobile though.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Thanks, appreciate it

Yeah, I'm on a PC. And just did what you suggested, no change. My avatar is sized correctly, should show the whole boy who's head you can currently see the top of.

edit on 9/21/2016 by vlawde because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Try this one.

What I've done in the past is...
Make the avatar (clicking the little head with torso) a clear/invisible background. I'll see if I can find one and then make the photo I've posted your mini avatar.
If I'm understanding you correctly that should work.
The 'clear' background is right under here.

P.S. I don't know how to stop it from repeating in a long post though so I can't help there. I've just learned to live with it.
edit on 21-9-2016 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It cut off more of the boy. I saved the image you posted and uploaded it, less of the boy shows up

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Strange.

Are you clicking the box next to the 'torso' shape when you click on the photo from your uploads?

I'll try to make it my avatar.

Check it out, is this what you wanted? Likely not though as his head is covered by the 'stats'...

I changed it a little.

edit on 21-9-2016 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
These are the professionals.

They can fix it for you.

BTS Avatar Creations

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I copied your version, uploaded, same thing. The transparent box for mini background is checked

It looks fine when I go to my account page

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Sorry I can't help, I suck at artistical things.

Like I said though the folks in the avatar thread I linked can help.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Mine is unchecked and the color is transparent.

Try unchecking it.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I don't see any option for a transparent color. Argh this is so frustrating. I'm not a moron when it comes to technology, websites etc. But this should be a much simpler process

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I know, I feel much like you. It does seem rather complicated.

In your account settings under the 'colors' heading choose transparent and don't check the box.

Rather than copying and pasting the links for the photos I want, I just click on the photo from the upload gallery and choose the blank one first. Click on the 'torso'.
Then, choose the photo with the boy and click on the box next to the torso.

Let's try those three steps in order and we'll see what happens.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
That's how I've done it. But far as transparent, where are you seeing this? You can choose from all kinds of colors, but I see no option for transparent, aside from the check box

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

When you click on the drop down arrow for the color box and transparent is about 1/4 way down on left hand side.

Try typing in #cOcOcO

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Typing in that Just turned my background grey..

I know I could ask in the thread linked above, but I'd like to know how to do it and experiment with different ones

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Right.

I think we may be on to something.

Now that your background is gray, try uploading the 'transparent' picture I gave you above by clicking on the little square box next to torso man.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

If you click on the avatar creations link, there is a tutorial on page one of the thread

Right now, you just have your background (large) image in your avatar space.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I don't have an image in my background, it's blank. I did follow the tutorial but must be missing something

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join