It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I could use some input

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kazber

You could try for detective at some point... Station Chief... There are career options but it takes a lot of time and trust and internal politicking just like most jobs.

Good luck. Blessings on your choice.

AB

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Some things funny here. You don't get "accepted" to "join" a police force by letter/application response....they've never met you, talked with you in person, checked your references and criminal background right?

Most...almost all...require 2 yes min. College...some specific to criminal justice, or a 2 yr law enforcement course. If you went through a 2nd or 3rd party employment referral comp....that explains that....

It sounds like IF you applied directly to the city, heard BACK from the city....then it sounds like you meet the minimum reqs for applying....you STILL need to get through all the above as well.

I've not heard of anyone without an interview, education, reference and criminal background check...being INVITED to join ANY police dept. Its got a bunch of prerequisites you aren't mentioning.

MS
EMT/ERT
Advanced Life Support
FEMA/ Dept. Of Homeland Security
Region 2 South, Michigan
(Police/Fire/Emergency Management)

I work within the system
edit on 21-9-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
my 2 cents: city police tend to be a force of jackboots. Let your conscience guide you.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: CJCrawley

Retirement pensions vary by state and city but all are pretty generous.
25 years and out is very common.

Problem with relying on that is that most cities are having a hard time coming up with the money to fund the pensions they are already on the hook to pay.

That is another bubble that is going to be huge when it becomes impossible to make the payouts.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Sending you this in a more direct way than my reply to you above.

Do you have a few years college with degree? Have you been interviewed in person? Have you submitted your references? Have you taken and passed your background check? Have you taken and passed your drug screen?

Once those are out of the way...you have the Police Academy to go thru....as long as a couple years...as little as 6 months in some far off locations.

There is more...but you get the idea. Testing, requirements, interviews, police academy, references, degree of some kind usually in any LEO courses, background, drug and alcohol submissions....

It sounds like you may have applied to an add "Be a Police Officer. Officers needed now! Great pay-benefits. Apply today!"....if that is what it was? The company prob not affiliated at all with your local p.d....and has to do with $$$.

I am trying to impress upon you the route(s) law enforcement requires and follows. If I'm wrong in assuming that's who you
contacted? Sorry.....contact Philly P.D. by phone....ask about requirements...and good luck...MS
edit on 21-9-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: CJCrawley

Retirement pensions vary by state and city but all are pretty generous.
25 years and out is very common.

You don't have to put up with all of the crud cops deal with to get this benefit. All government positions offer generous retirement benefits. My brother and sister-in-law workedfor the state highway department for 25 years and retired young.

Don't even consider putting up with the hazards and frustrations involved in law enforcement just for retirement benefits.

Personally, I can't figure out why (anyone) would want to be a cop, especially now.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

It was a very simple question.

Do you want my ss number while I'm at it.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Other than that one guy. Thank you for everyone's input. I was gonna see where my current job takes me but after reading ever ones p.o.v. I think I'm going to pursue law reinforcement.

I want to help. I want to do it for the right reasons. I think I can make a difference.

Thank you ATS

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Just trying to pass some advice on whats required for you. So take no offense...

On the POSITIVE side of this...the city I work for...there is a posting for an entry-level police officer These postings stay up for a couple weeks internally at the city buildings....then they go public. Newspapers, on line, recruiters etc...

The starting entry level pay is $47, 500 per year ..pretty decent and some great benefits as well.

If this is something you'd like to do? Go for it. Please! We could always..always...use the help and those that really WANT to do this (which is most for sure...except the occasional ya-hoo)...THEN YOU GO FOR IT!

DONT LET ANYONE DISUADE YOU from your dreams and goals. Guys and gals like you? Youre really needed out here.

So, good luck...let us know down the line how its going for you!?

Best-

MS
1st Responder

top topics

<< 1   >>

join