It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I could use some input

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
So about 3 months ago I read a story about my city (philly) is lacking in police officers. So I figured that I would fill out the application and see what happens.

I have been working in the construction field my whole life and I now have one of the best job positions I have ever had. I'm a superintend for a building company. I am currently in charge of building a hospital. The job is a good one but the company that I work for is a bit shady. I'm not 100% that I will have a job with this company after this one. But the god thing is that I now have this title on my resume. I worked very very hard to get to where I am, and most people that have my job have gone to college for some time. I got here by experience and hard work.

So I checked my email yesterday and found out that I got accepted to join the Philly police force.

It seems like I always have this problem when it comes to jobs. One big thing or the other.

Do I give up construction? Give up the title of super that I worked so hard to get? And become a cop and have a steady career? Or stick with what I worked to get and find a new job as a super or maybe I will still be able to stay with the same company? (if they have another job upcoming) (and with this job my next job, I may have to travel)

I have no tie downs, no kids, no family, no wife. I'm free to do what i want.

Any input will help. If you have any question I will answer but I am working so give me some time.

Thank you ATS

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Kazber

I'm a superintend for a building company. I am currently in charge of building a hospital. The job is a good one but the company that I work for is a bit shady.

A bit shady? Imo, keep that position, you'll sleep better at night.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Picture yourself in 20 years. How do you see yourself?

Don't focus on the "now".

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Both jobs have their + & - but seeing you would be at the bottom if you go into policing and seeing you are already up the chain in construction I would think doing what you already know is a plus for you . If you become a cop you will always be a cop but in the construction industry you can go to bigger places . You could even start your own company which is something I suppose you could do in policing but its hard to say just what might be involved in that respect .

You get to choose in construction while you don't really have a choice as to who you will serve and protect .construction would seem to offer a different relationship with customers and employer .Just a few things to consider .best of luck in which ever you choose to do .

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Be a cop.
Retirement plan!
Also you can see first hand how cops are trained and what happens in the streets.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Deep down what do you think? Perhaps there is a third option that you haven't explored yet, something just beyond the horizon, something you've never thought of.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
You know the feeling that you get when a big job is finished? You cannot wait to leave and never see the place again
but just before you go, you look back with great satisfaction, don't you? I always do, and you probably will not get that
being a cop. Also, being a cop is a soul draining profession. It is not good to see all that they see.
I would not worry too much about your company being shady as they all are. Just don't compromise your own values.
I am in my 50s and have been doing this sort of work since '90. If I had to do it all again I would get more formal education or at least online classes so I would be in a real office today instead of a smelly work trailer.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Be a cop.
Retirement plan!

This^^

I don't know how it works in the states but most people of working age in Britain would give their eye teeth - without anesthetic - to join the police.

As far as I know, with 30 years pensionable service you can retire before age 50; with 25 years pensionable service it's 50.

It's a tasty pension, and of course they will still get state pension (OAP) at age 66 (or whatever it currently is - retirement age is creeping up incrementally).

I imagine it's a more generous deal over there...oh you lucky, lucky devil.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

With all eyes on police shootings lately, the last career change I would make is becoming a police officer.

-Losing your life because some thug decides to end your life isn't worth all the money in the world.

-Accidently shooting an unarmed citizen and finding yourself behind bars for the rest of your life, no thanks.

-The amount of daily stress dealing with gangs, out of control teenagers, shootings, thugs and witnessing the death of children and innocent lives is enough to take a toll and shorten your life.

-Worrying every time you approach a car for a simple traffic ticket, the possibility a driver could be holding a gun.

-Rotating shifts?

...Just a few things to take into consideration.

edit on 21-9-2016 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Your current position provides some power to command and make things happen the way you want within the parameters of the job and the concrete (pun) plans that you are provided with. You can have a vison of your finished work and see proof of your efforts every day.

As a police office working within an entirely different system, you will be definitely limited to how your personal actions will have much visual effect except on a very small scale. However, that intimacy with people, although in a rigid, social system, may bring you more personal satisfaction at the end of the day than exactly following a builder's plans.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
decisions decisions, you will dwell on the what if regardless of your choice. make a plan and stick with it.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Retirement pensions vary by state and city but all are pretty generous.
25 years and out is very common.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Thank you so far for the input, very helpful.

I have worked very hard to get to this point and it would be a waste to just change jobs.

This job is coming to a close very soon. I think I will see what my options are after this job. I'll see if my current employer has another job for me and if not I will see what is out there.

But if nothing comes alone I guess I can keep the police gig as a fall back.

PS
why i want to be a cop?
I'm a very perceptive person. People hate watching movies with me cuz I always know whats gonna happen. As well as the real world. I have a special power to read situations, and know whats going to happen. Its because my head is always going and I pay attention to everything at all times.
I also want to be a cop to stick up for the regular people. I know whats it like to get picked on by the police. And I want to help to stop that.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

That's a soul search that you really should do on your own. You are on a path to being successful (and already seem to be) in your current career, but have concerns about the longevity of your employment in the company (something that you should talk to the company about, in all honesty).

On the flip side, you know that you can be accepted to be a LEO, and so you have that option--one that I see as being a much more rewarding job, but also one that will give you many sleepless nights and bigger stressors (the life-or-death type). Not to mention in the current climate of low-information people liking to target LEOs and use them as scapegoats for a more broad agenda, and that really brings a negative into the mix (of course, you're in Philly, so that is a pretty big possible scenario in which you may eventually find yourself). But, the job will have job security, so there's that--and if you're as motivated as you seem, you'd have no trouble advancing in that career.

So, like I said, this is a personal soul search that you must conduct--do you only want to be successful, or do you want a career in which you will most likely be successful AND have the opportunity to do some real good for your community on a daily basis and positively affect multiple individuals on a personal level?

Honestly, if I had no family to whom I always want to return home safely at the end of the day, I probably would have pursued being a LEO a decade ago. I hate my 8-5 desk job where I'm on my ass all day and don't really do anything meaningful in the grand scheme of life. But, coming home to my family every day is a bigger priority to me than being happier in my chosen profession.

Good luck in your decision!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

With all eyes on police shootings lately, the last career change I would make is becoming a police officer.

-Losing your life because some thug decides to end your life isn't worth all the money in the world.

-Accidently shooting an unarmed citizen and finding yourself behind bars for the rest of your life, no thanks.

-The amount of daily stress dealing with gangs, out of control teenagers, shootings, thugs and witnessing the death of children and innocent lives is enough to take a toll and shorten your life.

-Worrying every time you approach a car for a simple traffic ticket, the possibility a driver could be holding a gun.

-Rotating shifts?

...Just a few things to take into consideration.

These are all good points, OP, although I would comment that no shootings are accidental if you're properly trained--you would need to ensure that you embrace proper trigger control at all times.

ETA: Also, note that WeRpeons has only pointed out the negatives of the job. If you were to talk to my friend who has only been a Modesto, California, LEO for less than two years and has already saved the life of more than one person with his bare hands, he's probably be quick to tell you that all of the negatives are overshadowed by such positive impacts that you can have while wearing that badge.
edit on 21-9-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

A close friend is a super for a mall he oversaw construction of. He is constantly being threatened with being fired. The thing is he knows everything about the building since he was there since before there was one.

One thing I can tell you, get all the certifications you can. Especially all fire ones. Be in charge of the fire control panel and keep great logs. They will be hard pressed to fire you then.

If they are shady though, you can bet they will set unrealistic expectations for you. Like clean up the entire place yourself, powerwash everyday, check everything in the building, deal with tenants, and on and on.

I would take the PO gig. Work for a while and then transfer to a small town that pays better.

The super gig will have you there almost 24/7. New buildings have WAY too many issues, and they will just tell you to deal with it.

You will be showing up at 4 AM to open a gate for deliveries, doing securitys job, going evertime a fire alarm goes off, which will be alit for a while until all the kinks are worked out and so on.

If they are an out of state company, especially one from Florida, then RUN.

edit on 9 21 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Go for law enforcement. You can always get a construction job.
Police work in Canada is a lot different than the USA. Here it is considered a good job, but you have a lot of crappy circumstances to deal with.

Good officers strive to make a difference in their communities.
If you think you have the mental fortitude to be the best you can be for the betterment of your home, then do it!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Greetings-

Being a cop is the funnest JOB in the world, bar none.. You see the 'best' people at their worst and the 'worst' people at their best... I got to ride a Harley™ and got paid for it. I got to ride a Yamaha Enduro and got paid for it. Sure My back/neck are broken but I drove through an Eucalyptus tree in 1995 and was "dead" for 4 min. so anything after that is 'gravy'...
Well if You're thinking of going into Law Enforcement may as well get to the "Truth" now, because You'll find out later different folks have different versions of what is the "truth"-- Are You a patient person? I mean patience of a Monk type patience? If "No" then go into Corrections or Fire Services or drive an ambulance..

I'd also suggest going to a bookstore and read the Career in Law Enforcement book and then schedule a few "ride-alongs" in different areas to see what fits best. I worked in a HIGH crime area/ghetto and LOVED every minute of it; some cops are better suited to retrieve mail and turn off sprinklers or let the dog(s) out w/out shooting them..

The most fun is in "Vice" although I had a bunch of fun in "Crime Suppression".. Vice You got to drink and go to Raves and pick up prostitutes; Street Crimes You got to roll up on street dealers and roll on Robbery calls. Patrol can suck if there are a bunch of homicides, but if it got too busy the bologna calls would be "mail outs"..

I was retired at 41 w/a broken back/neck and at one time was on 7 medications. My Adrenal Gland no longer works and it took a bit to get off the poison the Psychiatrist suggested I take for PTSD but other than that I'd go back tomorrow if I could...

* Your Mileage May Vary *

Proud Member of LEAP• Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
In your situation, I'd say for the $, stay in construction, but....this country needs more good people to be cops. The kind of people that do the right thing, not the easy thing. So it's kind of a toss up. Either way, you will be able to survive, but being a cop will provide a good retirement, and unseen benefits from unknown organizations. (My mother worked for a non-profit that nobody seems to have heard about that takes care of families of cops and firemen who are killed in the line of duty, and I think there are quite a few of those kinds of hidden groups)

Good luck with your decision. LOL, I doubt I helped at all, likely made it worse. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
As a contract trainer for law enforcement agencies.....stay in construction!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join