It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump's plan to seize Iraq's oil: 'It's not stealing, we're reimbursing ourselves'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

One of the recurring themes of Donald Trump’s national security strategy is his plan to “take the oil” in Iraq and from areas controlled by Islamic State (Isis) extremists. It would drain Isis’s coffers and reimburse the US for the costs of its military commitments in the Middle East, the candidate insists.

At a forum hosted by NBC on 7 September, Trump suggested oil seizure would have been a way to pay for the Iraq war, saying: “We go in, we spend $3tn, we lose thousands and thousands of lives, and then … what happens is we get nothing. You know, it used to be to the victor belong the spoils.”
Source

If there's no honor among thieves, this does make sense to me. Stealing from Isis isn't stealing in my opinion.

I just wish Trump could tone it down sometimes. Talk like this will probably cost him more votes than it gains him as far as I can see. These kinds of comments certainly make him easy to criticize.

I'll be looking for Clinton to call Trump a "thief" or something like that in the coming days. That seems logical given recent history.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The Geneva convention says otherwise.
More things trump just doesn't know.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
What ?

Iraq has oil?

Time for Democracy

Oh wait, Deja vu

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

So is Hillary well schooled in the Geneva convention? LOL rhetorical question.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I'm certain this isn't the first time Trump has justified piss-poor ethics for some sort of profit.

Except this time, it's a move that will reflect poorly on our entire country, rather than just himself or his business(es)
way to go Almighty Trump! Another fail.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Talk like this will probably cost him more votes than it gains him as far as I can see. These kinds of comments certainly make him easy to criticize.

God forbid he should come out in public against the war on terror. Thats Hillarys Trump card.

"MR, Trump, what will you do about the terrorists"? Now that its (cough) fresh on everyones mind. They're still harping their harps about the latest bombing on the News. By the time debates roll around he better promise to turn the Middle East to glass, or else.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I bet Dick Cheney is slapping himself and face palming all over the place, saying "Why didn't I think of that?!"

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Whatever justification it's a bloody stupid statement and I wish he'd stop saying it.

It's right up there with "Iran is helping the Islamic State" for stupid statements.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I bet Dick Cheney is slapping himself and face palming all over the place, saying "Why didn't I think of that?!"

Evidently he didn't have to. Now the son of a bitch is worth 90 million (probably much more than that, but you know how those official "net worths" don't account for many things or are intentionally understated)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Since Obama took office, I thought Iraq was full of rainbow sunshines, chocolate gumdrops and unicorns...

What's that you say? Isis controls great swaths of territory throughout the conquered lands of Iraq....hmm, ok....
Lemme think....I know it's George W Bush's fault but I need to figure out why....hmm

Ok I got it:
Obama and Hillary are perfect and Donald Trump is a racist mysoginist....and that's why we have Isis...
There!!
I did it....

Also, dissenting is patriotism if a republican is president but dissenting is racist/sexist if a democrat is in office or running for office...

Do y'all understand....
Essentially it's Trumps fault...for everything....sure he's never held public office but it's his fault...
Black panthers with night sticks at the 2008 ballots? well, that was Trumps fault...
Benghazi? Trump....
Arab Spring? Trumps fault unless you think it was a good thing in which case Obama did it...
2008 Crash? Trump and his capitalist cronies did it....
Chelsea Bomber? Trumps rhetoric caused it despite never holding public office...
Emboldened Russia? Trump did it despite never holding political office...
Syria? Trumps support of Israel did it...
Nice, FR? Trump went to the Eiffel Tower in the 90s soooooo...he caused it...
Brexit? Trump(and American racists somehow)
Fergusson? Trump and his evil police state even though he's never been in office...
Juanita Broderick? Trump in a Bill Clinton mask
Hillary's "pneumonia": Hillary went full out limp but let's talk about who pence thinks is "deplorable"....I'm sure if George W Bush or Trump had passed out at a 9/11 ceremony the media would act the same...sure, ok

-Chris

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Are ISIS protected under the Geneva convention?
They stole Iraq's oil as they built their caliphate. Taking it off them is not stealing, but not sure what the Geneva convention says. If it prohibits taking resources from terrorists, then it needs to be changed.
edit on 21/9/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
this 'isis' group wasn't even the bad guys until they suddenly took up their own gold backed currency. Did anyone else pick up on that?

All the 'terror' was likely tacked on (started!) by bankster controlled nations like the US so the world could get behind crushing their currency.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Yes. Well, sort of. Non-lawful combatants (terrorists, rebels, freedom fighters, take your pick) are afforded the same protections as everyone else under the Third Geneva Convention if the warring power recognises them as a prisoner of war, if they don't then it doesn't apply.

They are supposed to be given a competent trial to determine their nationality, allegiance and lawful or unlawful status under the Third Convention.

the fourth convention says something about giving them the same fair treatment as any other POW during the trial period

It's fairly vague other than that. Since the Geneva convention deals with war between two sovereign powers. Not with rebel groups.

The answer, at the end of the day is entirely up to who they're fighting against.

The Geneva convention certainly applies to Iraq though.
edit on -050008am9kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Iraq's oil oil belongs to the people of Iraq,

Not ISIL.

And certainly not the U.S., which essentially invaded Iraq under false pretenses following the 9/11 attacks.

Applying the Trumpster's logic,

The IRS (Internal Revenue Service), a favored "whipping boy" of Trump supporters and the Republican Party in general, is Fully Justified in its mission to collect every last cent of taxes it claims the citizens of the US owe.

After all, they are just serving the government in its effort to "pay itself back" for all it does for the people of America. (/sarcasm)

Goose/gander - Sauce!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

They stole Iraq's oil as they built their caliphate. Taking it off them is not stealing, but not sure what the Geneva convention says. If it prohibits taking resources from terrorists, then it needs to be changed.

You are taking resources from a Nation. If you can "liberate" the oil from ISIS you can hand it back to the people it belongs to. To keep it would be theft.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

The United States is.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Trump thinks Geneva is a cake.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
how about just not go into another country and taking whats not yours with military actions full stop?

if isis did, its ok for the US to go and take their turn, because of our own war we are entitled to oil, thus we go and take it ?

wtf is going on ...

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

The terrorists don't own the oil. Iraq does. Donny boy is advancing the notion of to the victor goes the spoils.
We don't have wars like that anymore. Donny thinks it's the 14th century and he's fighting the war of the roses.

This is basic stuff he should know . I know it and I'm not running for president.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Prior to the invasion of Iraq in 2003, oil in Iraq was fully nationalized. It belonged to the people of Iraq. Iraqi oil is now almost 100% privatized by Western Big Oil companies. The oil has already been stolen and Trump yet again proves what a moron he is.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join