It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tsunami Survivor Found After 25 Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Michael Mangal was swept out to sea when the first tsunami wave retreated after striking his island of Pillow Panja. When the second wave deposited him back on the island, he realized that he was the only survivor of his village. He survived until now, injured and alone, on coconuts

www.comcast.net
Waving a flag made of his clothes, a tsunami victim dressed only in his underwear was rescued after surviving alone for 25 days on a flattened island in India's Andaman and Nicobar archipelago, authorities said Saturday.

The tale of survival reached Port Blair, the capital and the region's only city, on Saturday as authorities slowly established normal communication links with faraway islands.

A total of 1,899 people were declared dead across the Andaman and Nicobar islands following the Dec. 26 tsunami, and at least 5,553 remain missing.

Hope has run out for the untraced people. But on Saturday, officials on Campbell Bay island reported that a Nicobarese man named Michael Mangal had been spotted on deserted Pillow Panja island on Jan. 19, wearing underwear and waving a cloth made from the rest of his clothes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There have been many stories of "miraculous" surivival since the days following the tsunami. Certainly, there can be no real answers as to why many perished and a few were spared, but in some of these cases, it is evident that the human spirit to survive was of paramount importance. "Miracles do happen," one offical noted, but the miracle explanation often fails to tell the whole story.

[edit on 05/1/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Out of all bad things in the world, there will always come good!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think the guy is happy to be alive, but I still think he is asking questions "why me" and "why do I have to be the only one to grieve?"

Still, it is nice to see these things. It isn't so much as being able to overcome the bad thigns that happen, but being able to deal with them.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This story is a ray of light in a dark cloud of bad news.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I guess it was Allah who saved him...

top topics

join