It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stack Player-Virus/Maleware...nasty thing...ideas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Every couple years I pick up something somewhere, and this browser hijack is just another one. Called Stack Player, it not able to be easily uninstalled, and when running and taking over your screen with adds and unknown new browser extensions, it covers the screen and youll find auto play videos and sounds outta nowhere.

So far, unless I want to do a complete step by step removal (its on my laptop)..Ive seemingly found a way to isolate it. Ran simple Window Defender-results-ok. Then, I ran Malwarebytes and it found 26 PUP's(potentional unwanted programs/extensions), a few folders and files. But, I believe I made an error the 1st time around.

Malwarebytes quarantined all 26, and that made them useless. With the provided option to REMOVAL ALL...one can delete them from the computer and Malwarebyte's quarantine section. But....there is some kind of "trigger" or file that puts them right back.

My last solution seems to be holding. I ran the scan again, and when the 26 popped back up, I just left them in quarantine...and so far, so good. Its video and ads and possible keystroke counters when you are anywhere online no matter which browser. But left in MWBytes Quarantine...the unknown file or "trigger" can't reopen/install them back...So far." **

**Yes...all my stuff is backed up off-system on an external 1T drive in my drawer, so thats cool. And a System restore did nothing....

Anyone else fighting with this one?
edit on 20-9-2016 by mysterioustranger because: an add

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Every couple years I pick up something somewhere, and this browser hijack is just another one. Called Stack Player, it not able to be easily uninstalled, and when running and taking over your screen with adds and unknown new browser extensions, it covers the screen and youll find auto play videos and sounds outta nowhere.

So far, unless I want to do a complete step by step removal (its on my laptop)..Ive seemingly found a way to isolate it. Ran simple Window Defender-results-ok. Then, I ran Malwarebytes and it found 26 PUP's(potentionaly unwanted
programs/extension.s), a few folders and files. But, I believe I made an error the 1st time around.

Malwarebytes quarantined all 26, and that made them useless. With the provided option to REMOVAL ALL...one can delete them from the computer and Malwarebyte's quarantine section. But....there is some kind of "trigger" or file that puts them right back.

My last solution seems to be holding. I ran the scan again, and when the 26 popped back up, I just left them in quarantine...and so far, so good. Its video and ads and possible keystroke counters...but left in MWBytes Quarantine...the unknown file or "trigger can't reopen/install them back...So far.

Anyone else fighting with this one?

There is obviously a "dropper" file being left behind, but I haven't heard of stack player. Perhaps it's too new?

I'd also use more than one anti-malware utility, in a sequence, until the system looked clean.

Try the following (one at a time):
RKill
TDSSkiller
Adwcleaner
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT)
SuperAntiSpyware

All have free versions and you can get them from BleepingComputer (a known safe source). If that doesn't do the trick, there are people there on the forums who can guide you through it.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

just a matter of time before I'm fighting this 1 tooo!!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
try running the scans in safe mode. The dropper file more than likely wont be active then. Some scanners wont run in safe mode though.

System restore is another great option. Pick a date when your sure your computer was clean.

Other good free scanners are combofix, hitmanpro and norton power eraser. I usually run all those last.

You can also use many online scaners that while they wont remove the infection might help you to identify the dropper file. All the major virus killers provide online scanning.
edit on 21-9-2016 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

'Much appreciated...will try. I think Ill be fine...but wanted to give everyone here a heads up.

It cam from a video-help-viewer for YouTube, Vimeo and others...looks like a Hulu front page among other things.

Thanks again!

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Yeah the system restore didnt work...but Ive got it isolated for the moment and no visible effects.

I imagine Ill soon have to do a better cleaning and just put in another clean install...this only catches me every couple years....guess thats now!

Thank you for the advice!

PS Thats why I use an external drive and frequently drop everything into it...n toss it in a drawer or briefcase....

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen

I hope you dont! Just keep your eyes open for this one...it has many different ext's. 'Carefull even downloading from what you "think" is a safe site (I did).

Thanks

new topics

top topics

join