It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Beam me up Scotty!" - Mandela Effect

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

So, when did he ever say "Beam me up Scotty!"?

I don't watch Star Trek, but I don't understand the joke, if this was never actually a thing.

Two of my friends who are older felt odd about this doubting it. They had watched Star Trek and felt like they had recalled it, and when I asked out of curiosity, they were not sure what the Mandela Effect was or heard of it.

www.youtube.com...

Not even in the New ones, despite this click bait having 'Beam me up Scotty!' in the title.

Where did the phrase come from?
edit on 20-9-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

The exact phrase "Beam Me Up Scotty" was never said, but several variations of it were.

REF: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
It's not the Man....I can't even say it.
I'm pretty sure it got started when people said it, tongue in cheek, as a way of saying they were disgusted with something, the way the world works, etc...

en.wikipedia.org...

"Beam me up, Scotty" is a catchphrase that made its way into popular culture from the science fiction television series Star Trek. It comes from the command Captain Kirk gives his chief engineer, Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, when he needs to be transported back to the Starship Enterprise. Though it has become irrevocably associated with the series and movies, the exact phrase was never actually spoken in any Star Trek television episode or film; however Shatner has said a few similar phrases.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack
www.youtube.com...

So, when did he ever say "Beam me up Scotty!"?

Never.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
On the other hand:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Is that Hillary?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
How bout Carl Sagan?
I bet you are positive he said "billions and billions." He didn't.
But was fun for people to do impressions of him doing so.

He said "millions." He said "billions." He even said "trillions." Quite a lot.
But not "billions and billions."

edit on 9/20/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Carl Sagan introduced me to the term "Google" in his memorable series "Cosmos" , but I suppose the MT theorists would claim that what he actually said was "Yahoo" and my timeline has slipped into another dimension.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'm kind of glad that ypu brought this up, because its a perfect example of how the mandela effect is just wrong.

"Beam me up, Scotty" was getting all mandellified before the mandella effect was cool. Or even a thing. As stated above, similar things were said on the show, but never this exactly. I remember being surprised by this some years ago, when I heard it as a trivial fact. The thing is, people mocking the show always say it. It's become a cliche, but it was never actually in the show.

Same thing with Casablanca. The line," play it again, Sam" was never said, but was quoted endlessly, which is why so many people think they remember it that way. That is what happened with "luke I am you father".

As for C3P0s silver leg, well, now that might be a good case for the mandella effect. I don't know how I could have missed that.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Are you sure it wasn't googol?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Coke or Coca-cola Zero?

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
How bout Carl Sagan?
I bet you are positive he said "billions and billions." He didn't.
But was fun for people to do impressions of him doing so.

He said "millions." He said "billions." He even said "trillions." Quite a lot.
But not "billions and billions."

He did write "Billions and Billions" but, who cares when you can make watching paint dry sound fun.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: anton74

He did write "Billions and Billions"
Part of the title of his last book (1998), yes. But he never said it.

edit on 9/20/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
On the other hand:

edit on 20-9-2016 by Dan00 because:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

It was made by people who never watched the show.

They never said that. Plus the proper command is 1,2, or how ever many "to transport", followed by "energize".

In klingon with a ready command to beam up all people from a planet within range of the communicator its "choi chu", probably means "energize", or engage.

That is the star trek way.

edit on 9 20 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The Mandela Effect.... A.K.A. =

The Alzheimer's Effect! Haha..

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

It was made by people who never watched the show.

They never said that. Plus the proper command is 1,2, or how ever many "to transport", followed by "energize".

In klingon with a ready command to beam up all people from a planet within range of the communicator its "choi chu", probably means "energize", or engage.

That is the star trek way.

The Mandela peeps should have known better than to tangle with trekkers. Clearly this is an example where the general public has been getting it wrong for years and years, and the trekkers are well aware of the history in all its minutia.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers
Yeah. Well, same goes for Star Wars though.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Greggers
Yeah. Well, same goes for Star Wars though.

Yeah, I can't really argue with that. Mandela peeps are impervious to expert criticism.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thinking "beam me up Scotty" may have originated from a SNL bit with Belushi and Shatner. Not positive though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join