It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Pad Air 2 Will Not Turn on - Completely Unresponsive - I Tunes Will Not Recognize

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Hello all.

I've had an I Pad Air 2 for about 18 months now, I barely use it and it's in perfect condition - no scratches on screen or back surface as it's been in protective binder for it's full life-time.

Sunday night I was watching Netflix before bed and it was working fine, last night when I got home from work my tablet will not turn on. My first thought was that my battery might be dead so I plugged it in and nothing happened, this worried me. I did some web searching and it turns out many people are having this issue since the update. Both users who updated and those who didn't are getting black screens for no apparent reason.

According to my brief research that I've done today the easiest fix is a factory reset which is fine with me since I have all my stuff synced up. Unfortunately when I plug my device into my PC, I Tunes does not recognize it and nothing happens. The USB cord is fine as I have tested it on someone else's device earlier today so I do not think that is the issue.

Apple support seems to be useless as many people are voicing my exact same concerns online and users keep getting the same canned responses. The funny thing is that a few days ago I heard a rumor on the radio that this new updated can brick your iphone, well it appears that I Pads are affected to.

Just for more background, my device has not been exposed to humidity and it has never even left the house.

Chances are that I am probably out of luck but here's hoping some ATS techies might have some tips and or tricks for me as I really like this device and would love to continue using it.

I've never been a fan boy and find pros and cons with both Android and Apple OS so let's please try and focus on the issue, but if are able to help me I am more than happy to take a few apple fan boy jokes...a price I am willing to pay.

Please feel free to ask any questions that I might need to elaborate on.
edit on 20-9-2016 by DigitalVigilante420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Its switched off due to Built up pressure in one of the flux cores, Its supposed to automatically release the pressure but sometimes it doesn't and switches into a safe mode as a precautionary measure, Luckily Apple incorporate a way to do this manually, If you set the ipad face up on the floor and stand on it with both feet it will engage a small relief valve just behind the screen that will vent the pressure from the flux core, You might need to do this several times.

Any more computing problems just hit me up, im always glad to help

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalVigilante420

Ok
Good thing I read your thread. I never updated mine to iOS 10 yet. I would make a appointment at a Apple Store and I bet they will replace your iPad.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I've been round and round with my iPad2 for the glass, digital display and replacing the ribbon cables and switches, but I can only offer advice not a solution for you.

Ive had mine go dark and not come back on several times before this update was released, but the solution for me was to just leave it on the charger overnight. Read: several hours.

It eventually came back on with the power switch, and once by plugging it in to the PC with iTunes.

Leave it plugged in for a day or more and try again.

I love my iPad, I grieve for you honestly!

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ColaTesla

Are you serious or is this a "charge in the microwave" situation?

Ive never heard of this one, and having seen it disassembled, I cant say that I can agree with you.

I'm open to corrections!

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Just on the off chance I had the same problem with my wife's iPhone 5s after an update. Tried everything. Was convinced the cable was fine as it charges my own phone. Came to the conclusion the phone was bricked.

However, as a last ditch attempt I tried a completely different, OFFICIAL cable - and that did the trick.

It's a long shot, but worth a go.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColaTesla
Its switched off due to Built up pressure in one of the flux cores, Its supposed to automatically release the pressure but sometimes it doesn't and switches into a safe mode as a precautionary measure, Luckily Apple incorporate a way to do this manually, If you set the ipad face up on the floor and stand on it with both feet it will engage a small relief valve just behind the screen that will vent the pressure from the flux core, You might need to do this several times.

Any more computing problems just hit me up, im always glad to help

At first I wanted to hit you now I want to buy you a beer for making me laugh after the rage settled.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I actually wondered if this was true for about a minute. What bothers me is I thought it was true for that long!

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Visiting the store will be my last resort, it's probably an easy fix that Apple hasn't figured out yet or doesn't want us to know about yet so I'm not giving them anymore money unless I have to and will try and wait it out and figure it out. With this current issue I might never buy an Apple device again unless they make this right.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Thank you I will try your suggestion tonight.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: youcanttellthepeople

I've got multiple cables, official and unofficial, even tried a friend's just to be sure.

At this point I do not think it's the cable.

I appreciate the suggestion since the unofficial cables are less reliable from my experiences.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Plug it in and dfu it.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Some electronics (and perhaps in the update) have a minimum battery level before they will turn on. Hence the leaving it on the charger as someone mentioned above. Make sure your charger works as they can easily overload and blow the primary winding on the transformer. Some are fused. Anyway, I would try it first and then take it in if it doesn't come up.
edit on 20/9/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Thanks Dave,

I just tried your suggestion by following instructions provided here:

discussions.apple.com...

Unfortunately nothing happened. The device is completely bricked it seems, when I plug it into my computer Itunes doesn't even sense it and or recognize it. Looks like I am going to visit an apple store if the other suggestion of leaving it plugged in over night unless something else works.

Any suggestions with what I could have done wrong with the DFU?

Cheers - DV4

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicJourney

Thanks for the link, looks like they have several helpful suggestions and the comment section below might be helpful as well, I will read up on that while keeping an eye on this.

Thanks for the help so far everyone

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The same thing happened to my iphone before, My laptop crashed while i was updating the software and it bricked the phone, I took it to one of the iphone repair guys and he did a "forced reboot" It only took a few minutes and the phone worked fine, just had to re install the new software again afterwards.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I'm hoping it's something simple as that when I bring it in...I like this suggestion better than your last one.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Is that the one where you hold down the home button at the same time as the power button for about 5 seconds? That might also be worth a shot OP, though suspect you've probably gone through all of that already

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: youcanttellthepeople

Only one step left:

Connect the USB cable to your computer, but leave the other end unplugged.

Turn off your new iPad completely.

While pressing and holding the Home button, plug your new iPad to your computer.

Continue to hold the home button until you see a "Connect to iTunes screen" on your new iPad or until iTunes detects your device.

Once iTunes detects your device, you will see a message stating that iTunes has found a device currently in recovery mode. And after a while the iPad will be back to normal.

I need an extra arm to plug it in while I hold the two buttons down, my friend is stopping by shortly I will have her plug the USB cable in for me.

I'm pretty pessimistic at this point

top topics

<<   2 >>

join