It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Air Force may pursue stealthy tanker for KC-Z

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Haha absolutely true. I'm not disagreeing with you on much of what you're saying but I still think time will tell on the overall function of it. From what I'm hearing they want it to be able to follow the package in/close and top off either before or after they cross over. Now THAT would be a huge bump in capability. But a lofty goal nonetheless.

How close they get to that aim? Well your last sentence rings true. Yet I think it's totally possible from a carrier born aircraft. I'll stand by that.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Feel free to point us in the right direction of said PDF...

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
When the study for the KC-Z begins, two areas that will be looked carefully at, are the Speed Agile program from 2002, and the HWB and BWB programs. Neither the HWB or BWB are designed to be stealthy, but they would have an RCS advantage over other commercial aircraft, and would be a good starting point. They're also looking at arming them with missiles, or possibly laser weapons.

aviationweek.com...
edit on 10/3/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

And again, if I may, I think they're going to examine the Raider project very closely as a possible offshoot for a tanker.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join